First minor MFT Problem

RJG

Overall we're quite satisfied with our 2012 3.5 FWD Limited Edge with NAV. Although we're retired (old folks), I haven't had any problems figuring the MFT system out.....doing the update, etc. At least figuring out all we're interested in doing.

However.... the other day, while on a trip with my phone charger pluged in......when I unpluged it one time while driving.....the screen goes out. Just blank. I checked to see if the SD card had poped out, it hadn't. Maybe it was bumped, not sure. After a few minutes, SYNC comes on saying it's doing maintenance check, then screen gradually comes back up.

Second issue. Got into car the other day after wife had been driving it....and radio station was on a FM HD station she likes. I went to Sirius (manually) to one of my presets (CNBC), and while it went to Sirius, showing market stats, etc, her FM music stayed on. Couldn't make it change manually....so I asked it thru voice recognition to change to my Sirius preset.....and it did. Her music went away and CNBC voice come on. Strange.

I sometimes wonder if this isn't oo much technology for a vehicle.

Although a retired person, I'm not usually one to call for a return to the "good old days". I like built in NAV, although my portable Garmin Nuvi 750 does everything this built in one does. Everything except have a big scren. Love the big screen. We do like the hands free phone use and back up camera. Tech moves us forward. No problem with that. I imagine Ford will get this MFT down pat in a few years, just like all the other automotive advancements of the past.

My computers and I Pad have their "quirks" also. And we don't seem to mind or complain. Maybe have to look at vehicle that way these days.

I also have a 2012 Honda CR V with voice recognition, phone paring, XM and Nav. it doesn't do as much, but it's simpler and doesn't seem to have any bugs at all. No Sync annual fees either. But it's not near as nice as our Edge in comfort.

Wife likes a new car every few years, so imagine we'll be getting another Edge around 2014 or 2015. Maybe bugs gone by then.

Edited by RJG

I experienced a comparable audio-related MFT glitch on my 2012 MKX.

Radio would not change to requested input via Touch Screen, as RJG describes, and radio would not immediately shut off after key off/door open event.

Negative battery post disconnect/MFT reset cleared the problem initially, and the latest Version 3.2 update has totally eliminated the problem.

If you have not already, you may want to download and install the Version 3.2 update that is running trouble-free on my MKX.

Good luck!

I've been to Sync my ride and see I have an update available. Question then: Can I purchase a USB drive at Wallmart, or Best Buy....somewhere like that? Down load update to my computer from Sync my ride, then load it thru the USB port in my arm rest? is that how it works? I never do this kind of thing. Thanks.

Wonder when we'll be able to update our Nav this way? Or purchase new SD Nav chip from lowest competitor? Could that bring update price way down? No need to go to dealership for Nav update.

Even though our 2012 has (supposedly) the lastest Nav update.....it's still a little out of date I think.

Wonder when we'll be able to update our Nav this way? Or purchase new SD Nav chip from lowest competitor? Could that bring update price way down? No need to go to dealership for Nav update.

Even though our 2012 has (supposedly) the lastest Nav update.....it's still a little out of date I think.

Dealers don't sell map updates now anyway and haven't for years. The updates come from the map providers (Navteq, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...