Heat Issue

Brad Gillies

I have looked through the forums and done some google searches and Have not found a satisfactory answer to my question. I recently purchased a 2008 Edge SEL and with the weather getting cooler I noticed that the heat does not work ONLY on the drivers side. I went to the dealer today and they say it is the valve on the airbox that diverts the air from hot to cold. Blend valve I guess is the term they use at ford.

My question is how many valvs\es are on the air box on the 08 edge. When I look under the dash at the sides of the airbox I can see the actuators moving on both sides but no heat on the drivers side. I can only assume that the actual door is broken inside the box. The heater core is obviously OK as I do get heat on the passenger side.

Also does anyone have a pdf copy of the heating and air conditioning section of the service manual? I will order a copy but it will take some time to get it.and I want to tackle this before the cold wether hits.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the dealer springing for the repair, or are you going to have to pay for it ? I understand that the repair can get pricy. Might as well get the coolant flushed and replaced. I've had coolant flushes on our cars every 60,000 miles, and one Explorer I had, I sold to friends for their daughter with 150K on it, she sold it when it had around 235K, original radiator, 1 water pump replacement.

Brad:

Here is some information on the blend doors. There are 3 actuators for the basic system and 4 actuators for the dual zone system. If you're not getting heat despite full travel of the actuator, perhaps a linkage is loose or broken. I threw in information on the right one too. Good luck.

Ford Edge HVAC blend doors.pdf

Edited by autom8r

• 9 months later...

I realized I never updated this thread.

The final outcome was that the heater core was plugged solid on the drivers side. There was a grey sludge that could not be flushed out at all. it was like wet silly putty. The heater core was replaced at the dealers expense and everything was fine ever since.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi There, I have been trying to get an answer to the same question without success. I had two visits, one heater core flush, and one complete tear down at the dealer to repair this issue. First the heater flush due to the recall, then the plugged heater core a second time. The original problem was always low heat driver's side. I brought it back to the dealer and they want to charge 1200 to fix. the diagnosis was 250$ which would come off the 1200 if I went ahead with the repair. The dealer did some basic diagnostics to determine that the plenum needs to be completely replaced as it comes as a kit. WTF was my response, no heat for a car in Canada, great job Ford.

I tried to pull out the blend door actuator and succeeded, but honestly could not tell if it operated properly at all the control points as i varied cabin heat on the console with the unit in my hand and wired. it seemed to be a little jumpy if i could say that. when I manually operated the blend door, i would get heat at one extreme. so i guess the quickest troubleshooting and least costly is to order the blend door actuator and see if the stepper motor is messed up. if it is not that, then i will sell the car as it is of little use and losing value by the week and almost only worth have as much as the repair will cost.

would appreciate as well if someone could respond with the troubleshooting tips or video on blend door replacement for ford edge as the heater core is not plugged.

Thanks!

tathanas:

The part number for the left and right actuator is the same. Take it off the right side and install it on the left side and see if it works. If it does, order a new actuator. If it doesn't, it could be your AC module.

Not sure what year Edge you have, but on the first generation version, the actuators are easy to access.

Let us know how it goes.

Hi, i purchased a new actuator and replaced it on Friday. I had a mirror to replace and some other stuff and added the actuator to the list. There was no improvement. what i did notice is that the actuator only moves at the extremes of the temperature settings (16 or 32 celsius) but perhaps this is not a good indication as the thermostat and cabin air temp hose were not connected. bottom line still no heat after an actuator replacement. what is the AC module?(air conditioning?)

tathanas:

Sorry for the delayed response.

I'm attaching an excerpt from the service manual for your use. There is a HVAC control module [i call it an AC module, but I live in SoCal. You'll call it a heater module.] that controls all aspects of the AC and Heat system. The control module has outputs to drive the actuators and it takes inputs from the actuators [position].

I've also attached a wiring diagram for the HVAC system. There are two different configurations. I assume you have the dual zone configuration. I would test the actuator by connecting it to the left connector first, as you did, and observe the operation and then I would connect the same actuator to the right connector and observe its operation, noting the difference in operation, if any. The air inlet door, LH and RH actuators all have the same part number, so they are interchangeable. The defrost panel/floor door actuator has a different part number.

Of course it could be the HVAC control module too. The procedure above should prove whether it is the module or the actuators failing. The module seems easy to replace too.

The output module will inject a momentary pulse to the actuator to drive it open. To close it, it will reverse the polarity of the signal and send a momentary pulse. Several pulses or a long protracted connection at the same polarity will drive the actuator to either end of its travel. If the module is unable to produce these pulses or reverse polarity, a problem ensues. Try this yourself on your workbench by attaching a 9v battery to the motor terminals on the actuator and then reversing the polarity. If service work was performed on the connector [highly unlikely, but you never know], it is important the wiring be carefully reassembled so that the polarity is correct.

These excerpts are for the first generation Edge. Probably not a dramatic change behind the dashboard for the second generation. Suit the information to your needs.

Good Luck!

Ford Edge HVAC assembly.pdf

Ford Edge HVAC wiring.pdf

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Cold air on the drivers side and hot on the passenger side. I would believe the actuator is tied in with the sync? I had the sync module replaced after months of on and off issues and electrical issues with the driver side door sensor and now this. My Edge lease is up April and I like it enough to buy it but with these issues cropping up I'm having reservations of buying it and then the continuing problems come out of my wallet.

• 6 months later...

autom8r.

Thanks for the diagram.

I have a 2010 with dual climate control and was getting no ac on the passenger side.

This actuator is very easy to get to and remove. Since it is Sunday, I just pulled the part out and ziptied the linkage until I get the part for winter. Total time, one hour 15 minutes.

I looked up the part #19E616 and there seems to be meny versions of this part, so additional research will be require to narrow down which one I need.

Chris