Fuel Additives?

cmillz1331

I was wondering if anyone has ever used any fuel additives in their edge and seen any benefit or prolonged effect to the performance of the car. I have used additives in jet skis before but never a car...just wondering if it's worth it and if so, what products did you use? Thanks

Not only will they not help - Ford specifically says not to use them.

3oz of Redline SR-1 every other fill up in all our gas autos.

1. 04 Audi A4 2.0T quattro w/15gal fuel tank.

2. 08 F150 FX4 5.4L 3V w/30gal fuel tank.

3. 12 Ford Edge Limited 3.5L w/14-16gal fuel tank.

My son's 08 had a CEL come on about 3 months ago... It would still run great, but once you came to a stop with the trans still in drive and brake applied the 5.4L had a very noticeable vibration. We had just had the plugs changed-Fuel Filter-Coil packs all changed. We ran another tank of Shell gas through it and it slowly seemed to get worse. We took it to our local scam Ford dealership they ran a scan on it and called me with a misfire code. And wanted $340 to continue to search out the problem. ROFL! A misfire could be one of 20 things. We picked up the truck and I made some phone calls. I made contact with person who is very involved in Nascar. He told me to get a 15oz bottle of Redline SR-1 and Add the whole bottle and fill up the tank again--->30 gallons. Within the 100 mile mark on this tank of fuel with the Redline added, the CEL went off. The vibration was very slight at first then slowly disappeared. That was 410 miles ago. As of Today! No CEL and the 5.4L 3V idles and runs smooth and quiet except for the normal valve train clatter. With his 30gal tank I add 6oz every other tank. The Audi and Edge I only add 3oz since their fuel tanks are 14 to 16gals. Redline SR-1 has a very strong additive----> P.E.A. 30-50%--> Which is used in Gumout Regene and Chevron Techron.

I'm just sharing my personal experience not telling you to use it or try it. I took the truck back by the Ford Dealership and told them I had fixed the problem for $10.95. The service fella {Kyle} sat in the truck and was some what amazed. He asked me what I did and I told him that would cost him $340 just to begin to tell him the whole story. He just smiled and told me to have a good day.

Again this is just my personal experience nothing more. I will continue to use the Redline SR-1 in small doses--It is also an upper cylinder lubricant.

• 2 years later...

Don't use additives? Funny, the dealership keeps pushing the Motorcraft fuel injector cleaner in the white bottle on me every time I'm in the parts department.

So if you're worried about using a cleaner in your Edge (or any fuel burning motor), don't fill up with any petrol cut with ethanol. Alcohol "dries" out rubber and plastic parts

Use only top octane for best fuel mileage and longevity of plastic and rubber components.

Just my learn"ed" experience and opinion.

SeaFoam rocks!

My Jet mechanic brother would add half a quart of Transmission fluid to his gas every once in a while. Not sure of the method of madness he was aiming for but I never tried it. He stated something about keeping the engine and sensor cleaner. I think he was smelling too much jet fuel to tell you the truth.

• 9 months later...