How often to change oil?

RJF25

Hey Everyone,

So I had my first service on my Edge a few weeks ago. The computer had not chimmed in to say it was time to bring it in for service yet, but I was going down to New Jersey and New York to work flood vehicle claims due to hurricane sandy so I wanted to have the car serviced as I was unsure how much driving I would be doing. The dealer I use for service said I should bring it in every 5k to not listen to the vehicles computer which tells you when the vehicle needs service? So I figured I would post and see what everyone else is going? I have the 2011 model.

Thanks,

Ron

If you follow the oil life monitor I usually change the oil at 20-30% which is 7K or 8K miles. I run full synthetic (Mobil 1). The factory fill is a synthetic blend. I do change my own oil since the Edge is very easy to do. I really think the only thing to do at 5K or 6K is rotate the tires. My Cadillac CTS will go 10K before the OLM "suggests" a change which runs on Mobil 1 from the factory.

May get better filter life if using a filter designed for synthetic oil, like Amsoil. They claim:

"AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters are guaranteed for up to 15,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, or 25,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, depending on application and severity of service."

Or maybe try one of the larger Motorcraft filters if they fit on the FL400s threads, to increase performance/extend life. I think FL1A will fit, but not sure.

Just ideas 4 u.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1891856&page=1

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Here is the thing. Fully synthetic can go up to 10,000 miles. However the filter can only go 5,000. So I recommend going with the filter life verses the oil life.

The Ford filter is fully capable to filter the whole life of the oil change interval. Oil change intervals are determined by how the vehicle is used. Read your owners manual.

Here is the thing. Fully synthetic can go up to 10,000 miles. However the filter can only go 5,000. So I recommend going with the filter life verses the oil life.

Huh? A filter works until it's full. How full it gets depends on how much crap is in your oil. How much crap is in your oil has very little to do with mileage alone.

Huh? A filter works until it's full. How full it gets depends on how much crap is in your oil. How much crap is in your oil has very little to do with mileage alone.

That's why the manual has different recommendations depending on driving conditions; if you live in sandy, dusty areas, Ford recommends more frequent oil changes.

From the 2013 Edge owner's manual:

sandy.png

And regarding oil change interval:

oilchange.png

Unless you send in your oil for analysis and can knowledgeably inspect your filter, your best bet is to go with the manufacturer's (not the dealer's) recommendation. They have the most to lose if your engine fails (the dealer has the most to gain from more frequent oil changes).

Motorcraft 5W20 synthetic blend, Motorcraft FL500S filter. Anything else is anecdotal.

Also ignore anyone promoting Amsoil, they have a slimy network of "dealers," which is basically anyone with a mailing address and an internet forum membership.

Edited by Laminar