Headlights ON indicator ?

We have a 2012 edge limited. We leave the headlight switch on auto. But there is no where on the dash does it display if the headlights are on or off. This is a real pain when it rains. Here in NY there is a law that your headlights have to be on when your wipers on and I never can tell when the auto features turns the lights on.

• 2 weeks later...

On my 2013 Limited I also have the lights set to auto and I think that the indicator that the lights are on; is two little headlights pointing away from each other under the left information panel, they are real small but I assume that what is going on. Unable to locate these in the manual. So I'm just guessing. Not sure if you have these on yours.

I have a 2013 Limited with autolamps which I leave on and rain sensor wipers which I leave on. Today I was driving in what started as a light mist and it was quite overcast. The wipers would cycle every 30-40 seconds, but the lights never came on. I hit some heavy rain which caused the wipers to cycle every 10 seconds or so and the lights finally turned on.

I didn't like the fact that the lights didn't turn on because of the overcast conditions or that the wipers didn't cycle quick enough for turning the lights on. I wish the autolamps had a sensitivity setting to adjust how dark or dim it really needs to be in order for the lights to come on. There have been times that I have switched the lights on manually because I felt it was too dark or overcast to drive without the lights on and the autolamps had not turned them on yet.

I believe I can put something over the sensor to turn them on. I wonder if I could put some type of mesh material over it to allow for quicker turn on in less light but not have them on all the time.

Maybe you could put some lightly tinted film over the sensor?

I don't have MFT, so I can't speak to this directly. But it seems there are sensitivity level settings through MFT for other lighting functions for the headlamps. Worth a look?

For example, this discussion on another forum re: auto hi beams --- http://www.ecoboostownerforums.com/showthread.php?1480-Not-so-auto-High-Beams

Otherwise, a trip to the dealer may help if this is a malfunction.

I am going to see what type of tint or mesh I can find for the sensor. Like you said, it will be trial and error but important enough for me to have the lights come on sooner. I am going to be adding the DRL's which one of the members sells but those don't turn on the tail lights. It will be good for the front end, but I still want visibility from the rear also in overcast/dim/cloudy conditions.