Change your own Oil?

Cellbine

So, its time for my second oil change and I called the dealer to setup and appointment. They said that it needs a multipoint inspection every 10k miles. So they are looking at charging me ~$200 for the inspection and the oil change and I have to provide the oil. Buying oil from the Germans is expesive, so its cheaper if I bring it.

So my question is, how many of you change your own oil? What does it mean for my service record? And this might sounds stupid, but will it affect my warranty?

I know these might sound like newb questions, but these are the things that worry me. Thanks in advance.

I change my own oil. As long as you keep your receipts and your motor doesn't blow in fault of something you did during the oil change then your warranty should be fine.

I've never heard of that inspection, because ford always does that for free when ever you take your vehicle in for anything anyways. Sounds like they are trying to get you for some extra cash.

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1251734661994&pagename=Owner%2FPage%2FMikeRoweVideoPage

Edited by c_bova

$200 for an oil change and multipoint?!?! Holy freakin crap!! Multipoint inspections are free here and done on every vehicle, and as techs we don't even get paid to do them. Our oil changes are usually $24.95, lol

But yes, absolutely change my own.... like mentioned above, just use the correct viscosity and whatnot and keep all receipts and you'll be fine for warranty... no worries :)

Just changed mine yesterday actually....

74785EAE-9CEF-4EA5-A698-A67F9BD56034-200

It's a good idea to keep receipts but if you have an engine failure that shows a lubrication problem the receipts won't help. The good news is as long as you do change the oil on time with the proper oil and filter you won't have such a problem to worry about.

ALWAYS a good idea to keep receipts..... multiple times we've had Ford, for both factory warranty and ESP, say "show me receipts/maintenance records", for a variety of issues..... we've had them ask for fuel filter receipts for the diesels when they need injectors, high pressure fuel pump, engines (6.4's like to overfuel and melt pistons) etc, as well as transmissions. Had them ask for oil change receipts on the diesels too that needed motors. Trust me just cuz you change you're oil often doesn't mean stuff can't still happen. And if you have an outside warranty, they always try ANYTHING they can to get out of paying for it (seriously there's only 2 decent outside warranty companies, all the rest are scumbag crooks and will find a way out of paying anything)..... the first thing they do for pretty much any claim is ask for maintenance records. Had an older F-150 awhile back with the transmission burnt up, they said we want maintenance records of fluid being changed, he didn't have any.... they told him 'sorry....'. Always always always save receipts!! Even if you do it yourself

Edited by thirdgenlxi

• 2 weeks later...

I asked a German buddy of mine and he said oil can run over 20 Euro a quart. He pays about 24 Euros a quart.

So let's say 20 Euro x 6qts. You're looking at 120 Euro. At today's exchange rate (0.738254), you're looking at about 162.54 USD. That's just for the oil. I don't know what the oil filter runs, but I don't think it's much more than what you pay in the States. 24 Euro a quart, like my buddy pays, will cost you 195.051 USD.

Just think, if you took it to the dealer, you would have to pay for labor and that outrageous multi-point inspection fee. So, I just went on base to the BX and bought my oil there for about $50 then took the Edge to the Auto Hobby shop and paid $6 to use the lift. I ordered my filter from http://levittownfordsupercenter.com/ . Got two of them so I'm ready for the next change.

Yeah, those can cost around $1800. Our German members can correct me if I'm wrong. The test for it has a high failure rate too.

That's pretty much the figure I remember. It is stupidly easy and cheap to get a license here. And once you get it you almost never get retested unless you allow it to expire or move to another state. I've had a license in GA since I was 16 (and I'll be 50 next week). I took a written test and did a 10 minute drive around the block for my driving test (no parking, never exceeded 30 mph) back then. I have not taken a written test or driving test since.

I would like to see a more comprehensive test and actual driver training - not "education" that would be repeated at least every 5 years. So many people don't know basic traffic laws.

The concept of "driving is a privilege, not a right" seems to be elusive, plus revenues generated from vehicle sales/gasoline taxes/traffic fines may be endangered (at least in the politico's eyes). I am all for retesting, but as akirby said, please, COMPREHENSIVE driver test/training throughout the country would be nice. Raise the skill level, and the courtesy level at the same time.