Key fob not working from a distance

gknuckles

I've had the car (2008 Edge SEL limited) for a little over 2 years now and the key fob has been working great up until about 3 weeks ago. The car has a factory remote start built in and if you press the lock button 3 times it will start the car. Now for some reason the key fob won't lock/unlock or remote start unless you are within 5-10 feet of the car. It used to work from our second story apartment (if you stood at the window and aimed the key fob at the car). Today I replaced the battery (in the key fob) thinking it was going bad and was the reason for it not working from a distance. This didn't fix the problem. Anyone know what is causing this issue?

gknuckles;

Are you sure you have the Factory remote start? I know that the factory remote (for a 2008) is actually a dealer installed option & would have a fob with a single button for starting.

Ā 

If it is not a factory system, the antenna for the remote system might have disconnected.

Omar302, I'm assuming it's not a factory remote start because I don't have a separate key fob just to start it. On the factory key fob if you push the lock button 3 times it starts. This is actually my fiancƩs car and when she bought it they didn't even tell her it had a remote start. One day she got a little happy with the lock button and it started the car that's how we figured it out. Any idea how I would go about finding this remote start "system" or antenna that may have gotten unplugged?