Topping off the gas tank and fuel mpg calc's

Smiley

I have + 800 miles on a 10 day old Edge FWD. My question is when the pump clicks off the first time, I can manually top off and add at least 1.5 - 2 more gallons of fuel in the tank. My last fill up was 302 miles driven and 16.67 gallons of fuel taken. Problem is I did top it off before this fill up and topped it off again today. The on board computer said 19.5 mpg and the calculated to TOP OFF is 18.11 mpg. Now this was about 80-85 % hwy with A/C and driving about 65-70 mph. I have to say the first three fill ups my gas mileage is going up with Time on the engine. My driving habits are no different. Love the car and NO DOUBT if I did average 55-60 mph Hwy I could get + 25 mpg. So how do we figure the top off, is it part of the 20 or 19 gallon volume ?

I have + 800 miles on a 10 day old Edge FWD. My question is when the pump clicks off the first time, I can manually top off and add at least 1.5 - 2 more gallons of fuel in the tank. My last fill up was 302 miles driven and 16.67 gallons of fuel taken. Problem is I did top it off before this fill up and topped it off again today. The on board computer said 19.5 mpg and the calculated to TOP OFF is 18.11 mpg. Now this was about 80-85 % hwy with A/C and driving about 65-70 mph. I have to say the first three fill ups my gas mileage is going up with Time on the engine. My driving habits are no different. Love the car and NO DOUBT if I did average 55-60 mph Hwy I could get + 25 mpg. So how do we figure the top off, is it part of the 20 or 19 gallon volume ?

I have almost 5,000 miles on my FWD Edge. I love the truck but hate the way it fills with gas. You're correct, the pump shuts off but then you can put in another 3 or 4 gal. I can't tell when the truck is full so I sometimes overfill it and get gas on the side of the truck. I don't know how the onboard computer figures this all out but my Edge is getting way better mileage than you are getting. I've been getting 19 to 20 mpg in town and mid 20's on the road. For the first 2,000 miles I couldn't get over 22 mpg on the road, but then as it got broke in it got better and better. The best I ever got was driving from Minn. to S. Dakota. I had the wind behind me and got 27 MPG. Driving home against the wind I got 23 MPG.

I have almost 5,000 miles on my FWD Edge. I love the truck but hate the way it fills with gas. You're correct, the pump shuts off but then you can put in another 3 or 4 gal. I can't tell when the truck is full so I sometimes overfill it and get gas on the side of the truck. I don't know how the onboard computer figures this all out but my Edge is getting way better mileage than you are getting. I've been getting 19 to 20 mpg in town and mid 20's on the road. For the first 2,000 miles I couldn't get over 22 mpg on the road, but then as it got broke in it got better and better. The best I ever got was driving from Minn. to S. Dakota. I had the wind behind me and got 27 MPG. Driving home against the wind I got 23 MPG.

The computer doesn't use the fuel gauge for MPG - it measures the amount of fuel used by the injectors versus the number of miles traveled since reset.

Edited by akirby

Filled up the Edge tonight for the first time. Wife got the gas light to come on and then she drove it another 10-15 miles. When I went with her to fill it up..the pump clicked off when it hit around 16.5 gallons. I manually added fuel slowly until it finally stopped again at around 19.8 gallons. Nothing overflowed except the first time it stopped...it spat some out around the filler neck. You can hear while it's filling that there may not be enough air venting the fueling process. If you take it slow, you can definately add close to 20 gallons to fill the tank. Strange thing is..for the FWD, I thought it was a 19.2 gallon tank!

It gas vapors that are causing the pump to cut off. If you pump the gas slowly it will take more gas the first time. As I understand it the fast you pump the gas the more you vaporize the gas. Also I am told that the pump nozzle has way of allowing gas vapors back thru (after its been metered) to the underground storage tank. The long story short is the faster you pump the less you get (you pay the metered amount but get less).

Also try to buy gas in the early morning, cool temp equal less gas expansion.

The above will save some money

Edited by dune-e1