Car doesn't stop smoothly, it pulsates.

Joey183

Now before everybody goes on saying its because I warped my rotors by not tightening the lugs in the correct patten, just know that I know what I'm doing. The problem started after the car sat in the garage for about a year, there must have been some snow on the rims when I parked it. Anyways once I drove it out the next year and tried to stop it seems like where the caliper was didn't rust, but the rest did, and it's been over a year and it hasn't wore off. This caused the pulsation and uneven braking. Should I try and get the rotors turned? Or would I be better off by just putting new ones on? The front ones are the only a problem, the back are fine for whatever reason.

The brake fluid and calipers are fine, I can tell the problem just by looking at them, the calipers are unevenly wearing it seems, the rust just never seemed to wear off like I hoped it would, I think I will try to turn them, but ultimately I think I'm just going to get new rotors, less hassle for the future.

• 2 weeks later...

If the car sat for a year with moisture on the rotors, I would go back to the basics.

I would do a complete tear down of the brake system. You may get away with turning the rotors depending if they are warped or just pitted/rusty from sitting. I would imagine that driving for a year now and they still pulsate you will need to at least turn them because of warping.

I would also remove the calipers and clean/inspect/lube the slide pins. They may have dried up and rusted also after sitting for a year. They may not have freed up or cleaned up with you driving for a year after it sat.

The brake pads may also be glazed. I would think that driving for a year you would have removed the glaze, but who knows.

I would also make sure to follow the torque and torque patten whenever you tighten the lug nuts. It is very important you don't over or under tighten the lugs and cause further damage. Torque specs are given for almost any bolt on any vehicle. Make sure you also torque the caliper mounting bolts and any other bolt you loosen in the brake system.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I was having a similar issue with my 2011 Sport pulsating when braking

After i first felt the pulse it took me 2 weeks to get to the dealer and have it checked out

Here is what they found

Measure rotor run out -

Front has .006-.008 Runout

Machine front brake rotors

Measurement before was 28.15 MM - RT Side - After 27.70 mm

Measurement before was 28.05 MM - LF Side - After 27.75 mm

Rear brakes are good

I have the FMPP maintenance plan so all was covered for free, it was also a good time to get the 22" all-seasons back on the Edge and put the 17" winters into storage

It's likely buildup that just needs burned off. Warping of rotors is something that virtually never happens but rather uneven buildup of break pad material over time, especially if it sits for a while and moreso if it sits when wet.

http://zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Here's a good description of how to bed your breaks to clear that off. Just be safe and smart, do it where there is no traffic and in good weather.

It's likely buildup that just needs burned off. Warping of rotors is something that virtually never happens but rather uneven buildup of brake pad material over time, especially if it sits for a while and moreso if it sits when wet.

http://zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Here's a good description of how to bed your brakes to clear that off. Just be safe and smart, do it where there is no traffic and in good weather.

FTFY

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth. I had vibration when using the brakes.I could not feel it through the steering wheel,though.

It was 'seat of the pants'.

I took it to the local Ford dealer yesterday,they turned the rotors,on the car,a machine I have never seen before.

It made a huge difference,took them about 1.25 hrs.

No charge..thank you ESP.