Tire Pressure Monitors

Johnny Utah

Thanks for the heads up guys. Does the edge tell you specifically which tire is low if the light comes on or is it a crapshoot like some other vehicles?

My '08 doesn't. I currently have the light blinking telling me that something's faulty with the TPMS... I just wanna rip the thing out. I can measure my own tires.

• 5 months later...

what is the recommended tyre pressure for 18" (245-60R18)??

At what pressure, TPMS warning will come out?

Last month tyre pressure warning appear in my car, upon filling the air to the required pressure, warning goes off, but 2days ago it comes again.

To me its seems to be some other problem than inflated tyres.

Any expert opinion?

what is the recommended tyre pressure for 18" (245-60R18)??

At what pressure, TPMS warning will come out?

Last month tyre pressure warning appear in my car, upon filling the air to the required pressure, warning goes off, but 2days ago it comes again.

To me its seems to be some other problem than inflated tyres.

Any expert opinion?

Recommended pressure is indicated on the VIN information plate at the Driver's door jamb. It should be 35 psi for your tire size.

got it, any idea at what pressure Low tyre pressure warning will come?

I think it's 25% below the recommended. So in your case it would be about 26psi. Since you're in the Middle East and I know you guys do a lot of high speed, high temperature driving over there, tire pressure is very important. Low tire pressure in hot conditions can cause a blow-out at high speed, so make sure you're checking regularly. Sounds like you have one tire that has a leak.

I think it's 25% below the recommended. So in your case it would be about 26psi. Since you're in the Middle East and I know you guys do a lot of high speed, high temperature driving over there, tire pressure is very important. Low tire pressure in hot conditions can cause a blow-out at high speed, so make sure you're checking regularly. Sounds like you have one tire that has a leak.

Thanks Waldo, any idea, how to catch the culprit?

• 1 month later...

Every passing month? You need to check your pressure much more often than that. Checking every week (two at the most) will keep you from wearing out your tires prematurely or risking a blowout. On my motorcycle, I check tire pressure before every ride because tire problems on a bike will leave you stranded in the best case (no spare) and can cause a serious crash.

It is not at all unusual for tire pressure to drop by a pound or two each week. This does not indicate a problem, just the normal variation caused by temperature change and the natural porousness of the tires. Using nitrogen instead of air will slow that change but unless you can get it for free, the difference is not worth the cost. Costco includes nitrogen for free with their tires but most other places charge about $10 per tire.

Every passing month? You need to check your pressure much more often than that. Checking every week (two at the most) will keep you from wearing out your tires prematurely or risking a blowout. On my motorcycle, I check tire pressure before every ride because tire problems on a bike will leave you stranded in the best case (no spare) and can cause a serious crash.

It is not at all unusual for tire pressure to drop by a pound or two each week. This does not indicate a problem, just the normal variation caused by temperature change and the natural porousness of the tires. Using nitrogen instead of air will slow that change but unless you can get it for free, the difference is not worth the cost. Costco includes nitrogen for free with their tires but most other places charge about $10 per tire.

Thanks Wizard.

I guess that due to the reason that we have high temp here is KSA 2-3weeks ago (around 47-48 celcius) and from last week it dropped below 40. this might be the reason of dropping air pressure.

Thanks Wizard.

I guess that due to the reason that we have high temp here is KSA 2-3weeks ago (around 47-48 celcius) and from last week it dropped below 40. this might be the reason of dropping air pressure.

Actually, it's not just changes in ambient temperature that impact tire pressure - although that has a significant impact (especially 120 degrees F). It's also the change in temperature of the tire due to driving. Tires heat up significantly in use... more so at higher/sustained speeds. Believe it or not, a tire's temperature will increase between 20 and 50 degrees (Fahrenheit) after 30 minutes of driving at 60 mph (depending on ambient conditions). The temperature increases even more if the tires start out underinflated because of the increased flexing of the sidewall. Those "road gators" (pieces of truck tire tread) that you see on the road are examples of the kind of catastrophic failure that can occur when tires overheat. Ever notice how you see more of them when the pavement turns from light colored concrete to blacktop? That's because the blacktop is hotter.

• Like 1