Anyone have an MKX ('11-'13) with 18" wheels?

Limited59

Actually I believe it is the dealers who order the vehicles that prefer the more expensive option. When I was looking for my 2013 Edge Limited, several dealers and myself tried finding one without the $895.00 20" wheel option. I bet out of over 300 Edges in the Dallas/Ft Worth area at the time that were in inventory, less than 10 of them had the standard 18" wheels.

Someone replied to a post I had mentioned that fact in that in their area, the 18" wheels were easily found in dealer stock. It might depend on the area, I really don't know. I can only mention what I have found.

Thanks for the info, guys... especially the pictures, Haz!

And Haz, I wasn't aware of the painted wheels. In Canada, they are not an option. The polished are standard with the two 20s and the 22s as optional. In fact there are a lot of differences I see. AWD is standard here as is the perforated seating. There is only the Sight and Sound Package (blis, pano roof, THX and nav), wood pkg, trailer tow pkg and the Limited Edition pkg. Adaptive cruise, wheels, block heater, some paints, floor mats, etc being options.

I imagine in the larger centres the dealers have many MKXs in stock. Most within a few hours drive from me have less than half a dozen so if you want a specific colour or option you have to order. Luckily the factory is only a few hours away so shipping shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by Limited59

Canyon premium leather seats, Olive Ash wood package.

No regrets after buying the MKX from a distant dealer's stock in order to get factory-installed Class II trailer tow package and to qualify for $5,500 purchase incentive.

Good luck!

Today I placed my order for a 2013 MKX. Ingot silver with the Canadian 101a, light stone interior and olive wood. Options are wood package, 101A and adaptive cruise. All of our X's have premium interior and 18" polished aluminum wheels as well as AWD. good thing as I travelled up in a snowstorm and test drove in some pretty bad weather.

I should take possession by the end of May which is fine by me. Gives some time for the rains to clean up the roads.

Hopefully I am able to keep the light stone clean, as the demo I drove wasn't as clean as I'd expect. To others with the light stone, how is it holding up? Do you have any issues with clothing dye transfer?

Edited by Limited59

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the MKX! I have a Limited AWD with 18" wheels. I had taken the more commonly seen 20" wheels out for a test drive and felt the ride was too harsh (even though I generally prefer a firm ride) and the steering seemed to take more effort than normal on tight low-speed turns. A few people suggested that it might be the 20's that were causing this, so I test drove an Edge with 18" wheels and the ride was much better and that sealed the deal for me on the Edge. Just for the heck of it on the same day I took out the 18's I immediately drove a 20" Edge over the same route and I was convinced in the back to back test drives that the difference was real. Others have said the same here on this forum. I may not be the coolest kid on the block with 18's, but I'm very happy with the ride.

I saw your question about the dye transfer with the Light Stone interior. I also have Light Stone, the first non-black interior I've had in quite some time. I was horrified one morning a few days after we took delivery when I noticed that my passenger's seat had dark blue stains on it (my wife had been wearing a brand new pair of jeans). I bought some Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner Wipes and one wipe took the stain off very easily (the wipe turned blue!). I haven't noticed any other dye transfer since then, so I think this was just an exception. No problem, it came right off though.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Thank you for the post, 1217. When I first test drove the Edge back in the summer of '11 all they had were equipped with the 18"s so I have never driven one with the 20s (neither Edge nor MKX) but to me, the ride is key. I still feel that my Edge rides a little rougher than I'd like, and the MKX seemed similar during the test drive. It's really going to be annoying if they add the adaptive Lincoln Drive Control to the 2014 model year MKXs.

I cross shopped the MKX with the RX350 and GLK350 but in the end I couldn't bring myself to buy an import. Plus this will be my fourth Ontario built vehicle in a row, so that makes me feel good. Gotta support our economies, am I right?

With respect to the interior colour, I wanted something other than black and I couldn't warm up enough to the canyon colour - reminded my too much of my 1984 Jeep Wagoneer with a similar interior. Burnt pumpkin my sister used to call it. That left me with the light stone. I don't wear jeans so hopefully I will be ok. We shall see...

• 1 month later...

Picked up my MKX this afternoon. So far so good. It seems quieter and a bit more comfortable than the Edge. Love the adaptive cruise and blind spot monitoring.

Also the 3.7 is markedly more powerful than the 3.5 - or maybe it's the transmission.

When I got home I noticed there's already a scratch in the drivers door about one centimetre long. Not too deep but slightly disappointing nonetheless. You could say it came pre-scratched.

I didn't have the newest MFT in my Edge but didn't have any issues. I have to say that the MKX with the newest version is much more responsive than my Edge. Its amazing what a little speed increase can do for the overall user experience!