2011 Edge limited Driver door ajar issue

Racerb0y

Todd is with Ford customer service and may be able to get some assistance for you due to the low mileage. It won't hurt to ask.

Thanks....I already contacted Ford customer service. They "documented" it. You know, because that fixes door latches (sarcasm)!

They said to see the dealer. Dealer said $350-400 bucks. Even though when they first "fixed" it, it was under warranty.

It's a beautiful vehicle....that I'm about to run off a cliff. How stupid I was to buy a Ford, I've driven Honda for 25 years and NOT ONE PROBLEM! Unfortunately, Honda's are ugly now. Lol.

This vehicle is a serious safety issue.

Thanks....I already contacted Ford customer service. They "documented" it. You know, because that fixes door latches (sarcasm)!

They said to see the dealer. Dealer said $350-400 bucks. Even though when they first "fixed" it, it was under warranty.

It's a beautiful vehicle....that I'm about to run off a cliff. How stupid I was to buy a Ford, I've driven Honda for 25 years and NOT ONE PROBLEM! Unfortunately, Honda's are ugly now. Lol.

This vehicle is a serious safety issue.

Stubborn much? Todd and the other folks from Ford Service here and on other social media/forums will escalate your case within Ford and get much more attention than just calling the phone number.

Of course if you'd rather just bitch and moan about it than actually get it repaired, that's up to you.

Stubborn much? Todd and the other folks from Ford Service here and on other social media/forums will escalate your case within Ford and get much more attention than just calling the phone number.

Of course if you'd rather just bitch and moan about it than actually get it repaired, that's up to you.

I'm not sure what you're referring to....if Todd can help I'd be thrilled. How do I contact him? The only number I see is the same Ford customer service I already called.

I posted here, called customer service and made a report on safercar.gov (because the vehicle is now dangerous as it won't lock while driving and the dome light stays on). If you have other suggestions I'm happy to hear them.

It's called a PM - Private Message.

You go back to the post by Ford Service

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/12199-2011-edge-limited-driver-door-ajar-issue/?p=117578

Put your cursor on the member name and you should get a popup window, click on Send Message.

Or click on Ford Service and select Send Message.

Thanks! Done....hopefully he'll write back. I can't believe the dealer. Took it in under warranty, April 2014, they claim they fixed it. Problem came back but now that the warranty time is over I have to pay. 17k miles on this thing. Otherwise I like the vehicle. I have to get it fixed either way, have an apt this Friday at a different dealer.

Just started having this same issue on my 2011 Edge. Door ajar switch is sticking. I tried cleaning it with contact cleaner, and that fixed it for a day then it started up again...

Welcome to the community, Ron T!

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Let me look into this further. What’s the mileage on your Edge?

Todd is with Ford customer service and may be able to get some assistance for you due to the low mileage. It won't hurt to ask.

Hey akirby,

Thanks for letting the members know that we're here! :victory:

Hi Todd, what options? I followed the YouTube link someone kindly posted but it didn't work for me...

Thanks for reaching out to us, HAT!

I replied, and please check your inbox.

In the meantime, welcome to the forum, and let me know if you need anything else! :)

Tricia

Edited by FordService
  • Like 2

Todd will put more effort into it than the normal customer service reps who deal with hundreds of phone calls each day. He'll get it escalated to the right folks who may be able to help.

Just heard from Tricia. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I, like may others apparently, am having the same issue. I have owned my edge since February of last year. I currently have about 40k miles on my vehicle so it is out of warranty. I have tried spraying cleaner, but had no luck. Any other help from Ford would be greatly appreciated.

Ok. I, like may others apparently, am having the same issue. I have owned my edge since February of last year. I currently have about 40k miles on my vehicle so it is out of warranty. I have tried spraying cleaner, but had no luck. Any other help from Ford would be greatly appreciated.

Mine is a 2011 with 17k miles on it. It happened to me April 2013 but was fully covered. Unfortunately it didn't last long! Then it happened again last month but the "new fix" from my understanding is supposed to actually last. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Can somebody please point me in the direction of the part number to fix this? Preferably the Ford part number or a Dorman part number or something like that? I've been trying to find someone tha references it but I cannot get a definite answer.

I've found something that looks like it for 160, but then I see people say the part only cost them 50. Please help me out....I want to fix my girlfriends door this weekend.

Check out the HOW TO in this thread:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/14262-how-to-replace-door-latch-module-for-door-ajar-warning/

Part numbers for the door latch are easy to look up on LevittownFordSuperCenter and EBay websites.

Driver FRONT:

BT4Z-7821813-A

Passenger FRONT:

8T4Z-7821812-A

Driver REAR:

8T4Z-7826413-A

Passenger REAR:

8T4Z-7826412-A

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on this topic?

I have a 2011 Edge. The problem was fixed once under the original warranty ~ a year ago at no cost. The problem resurfaced last week and the car is under extended warranty now. The dealership wants the $100 deductible to fix it.

Bad service IMHO... especially considering the volume of complaints, the TSB (nhtsa 10056702), and the fact that I had the problem fixed once already.

I tried the compressed air. It worked for ~ 1 day. Any other suggestions? Anyone have success escalating w/ Ford Customer Service?

I've been a fan for many years, but not backing an obvious problem w/ your product really calls that into question. First Sync & now this...

First, I do believe Ford should extend the warranty on these.

But didn't you choose the $100 deductible when you bought the warranty?

Ford comped the extended warranty because of major issues we've had w/ Sync. So no, I didn't choose the deductible. I think what bothers me most is that they've already fixed the door sensor once. So not only is it an issue affecting what seems to be a broad group of owners, but it's also now a recurring issue on my car. I like companies that stand behind their products. Doesn't seem like the case here.

• 2 weeks later...

in january 2015 i bought a used 2012 ford edge with now 27k miles on it. i have now ran into the dreaded door ajar problem and thanks to this forum have read some threads and have tried the electronic cleaner with limited success, however, the problem persists. i am thinking of taking it in for a latch replacement as i have limited time to fix this myself. i am not sure what is covered under warranty but being used and given the year and miles would my car be under warranty to have this fixed? thank you for all the help, much appreciated

This is currently only a TSB, not a warranty extension, so if you are out of the B2B period, you have to pay out of pocket. If it were me, I'd make the time to do it myself, unless you have $450 lying around to spend. If you have a mechanically inclined friend, so much the better. Maybe a case of beer would do the trick ;)

Just signed up for the Edge forum today. I have been having this same problem on my 2013 Edge Limited. The bad thing is that we only have 38,000 miles on it and our warranty ended. To make matters worse, my wife talked to a regional manager with Ford that could help with after warranty issues and she was very rude to my wife. I have tried the Air/WD40 thing but it did not work. Looks like I will have to fork over a lot of money to get this fixed. It's real sad too because Ford has been having this problem for many years. It seems they would want to be a reputable company and own up to their problems.

Also, we have had problems with the back lift gate only going up about a foot and then closing as if it senses something in the way. And when we try to put it in park, it keeps saying "Shift to Park". I am starting to think that Ford no longer makes a quality vehicle. I am only 41 years old but at this point I cannot see buying myself, my wife or my kids a Ford vehicle ever with all the problems they have.

i might dremel the white sensor part as some threads have suggested. playing around with it it seems that if i push the lock hook in all the way and then unlatch it via the doorhandle it works. its a little inconvenient to do but it takes a second to do for the time being until i take it in and as not to waste the battery.

Obviously I'm here so I'm having the same problem. 2011 Edge SEL had about 30K in March when I ran into the driver's door ajar sensor issue. Paid my $100 deductible to have the latch cleaned, three months later I'm running into the same issue and they told me I would have to pay the $100 deductible again to have the latch replaced! Called Ford customer service and they sided with the dealer. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can pursue this?