DVD Headrests

We bought a 2013 Sport back in Novemeber. At the time we didn't care if we had the DVD headrest or not. The wife and I wanted white, and I wanted the 22's and that was pretty much it! : ) Our little girl is getting older and we thought it would be nice to have something to keep her occupied during long drives. Am I best off going to the dealer and ordering the OEM headrests with the DVD inserts and having them install them, or do I have other options that might cost less or return better results?

AGREE 100% 1st thought is a "built in" dvd system BUT as kids change it is much better to NOT buid in. My kids (& their friends that ride in car) went from dvd's to blu rays to now movie files, games, music on tablets & portable devices. the free program dvdfab can rip movies in & then convert. Itunes & other are options. Even local library hasd digital downloads. If I stuck to buil in I woould be limited

Back to your original thought- an option could be portable dvd with the velcro when kids are young. Advantage- when movie not done...klds can bring portable right into the restaurante or traveling bring right into hotel & stay quite while parents check in & sort out agenda... can go on plane etc.... for me -that progressed to the gadgets & then the apple ipod/ then pad... and so on.,

& when things break- lot cheaper to go to Walmart, Bestbuy, amazon, ebay, vs the dealer....

I bought a set from lightinthebox.com It's all stuff from China but the prices are low. My interior is black leather and these matched quite well. I bought the better set which includes a usb front for digital files on a stick drive. Video games are also built in. They also come with wireless headphones and remotes. I paid $250 shipped to my door.

Edgie guy you're very lucky to have even been able to find a generator during Sandy! Lucky I've had one for 3 years that went un-used until then! haha.

Anyway, I have the headrest TV option... Some people have said to me it's pointless but I have never once regretted it.

My daughter loves them, but I didn't even get them for that reason. Even when I'm driving alone at night I turn them on and roll the back windows down for a little hatervision =P. Plus even us grown up kids enjoy them. When I go on road trips with my buddies they love taking my truck. We pop in Eddie Murphy Raw, Bronx Tale, Ted, etc; Constant laughs on the drive even for the driver, since I can listen clearly through the speaker system; Not an option on tablets/portables.

It is costly, I think adding the option when I ordered my Edge was upward from $2,000... Could be wrong though, I got my 12' in Oct 11' so it's been a while.

You could go for the portable ones which are cheap and if you have more than one car you can switch them out easily, but I would get the OEM Headrests if I were you. When you go to sell the car, it adds a little bit more value, plus they are always there and you never have to worry about forgetting/charging the portable ones. Plus it adds a little bit of meat to your car. =) I also think as far as worrying about them breaking, even though you had them installed in your car after you purchased it, Ford will still warranty them. I'd check that though, I could be wrong, but there has to be some type of extended warranty you could purchase. If you are trying to avoid the costliest of the OEM DVD's, this isn't the choice for you, but if you can swing it, I say go for it.

Edited by KingMike