Aftermarket Wheels + Winter = Troubles!

beigs

So right after I bought my 2012 Edge Limited last year, I replaced the wheels with some aftermarket Lorenzo's from TireRack. Add the tires, TPMS, shipping, it all came out to just over $2000. On top of that, I had to pay the dealer a couple hundred bucks to 'reset' the vehicles computers to handle a bigger wheel size.

For reference, these are the wheels I purchased (Machined with black inlays): TireRack Link

I was originally going to keep the stock wheels to use in the winter, but after I realized that having a bigger wheel than stock would require dealer services every time I swapped them out, I just opted to sell off the originals and make sure I kept my car nice and clean through the Michigan winter.

Big Mistake!!! Not even a year later, and after one winter, the back two wheels are basically ruined. They pitted and corroded. I thought I could 'polish' it out, but as soon as I tried, the clear coat peeled off to reveal the shiny metal underneath. What a waste! :(

So now I am looking at my options. I am sending a message to both Lorenzo and TireRack, but I'm not holding my breathe, Lorenzo specifically says they don't warrant against "Adverse Weather".

I could tear them off and powder coat them, I guess? Don't really know how they would take to that?

I'm considering replacing them with something else (another $2000 bucks (gulp!). But what would I replace them with? Obviously the machined finish didn't fair so well, would painted wheels do better? I was considering these: TireRack Link #2

I suppose I could keep the crappy Lorenzo's (I'm sorry, but the clear coat job was obviously a joke, I won't ever buy from them again), and use them as the new "Winter Wheel". If new ones are the same size, I won't require dealer service to swap them out.

Last note: I take extremely good care of my vehicle. I wash it nearly every week, especially in the winter. Also, my town and immediate area doesn't use salt anymore on the roads (though they still use if for sidewalks). I'm not sure what else I could have done really to prevent this, I think I just got a crappy product.

What do you guys think? Thanks for your help...

I think I'm going to be in the same boat as you when the winter comes. 2 months ago, I purchased inexpensive (Zinik) 22" rims with tires that are machine polished from tirerack and sold my stock 20" chrome clad wheels. Since then, I have paid twice to have the rims repaired (wife curbing and a large pothole) and I am wondering if it's the cheap aftermarket rims or bad luck.

Now I hear about your pitting and corroding and I am thinking this may happen to these rims. I definitely will look into plasticdip if this will help prevent this but will probably look into getting better rims.

Why not just pick up a set of factory 18" wheels for the winter and save the good ones for summer? There are several posts in the classified with factory wheels, chrome plated or just the alloy finish. I even have a set of the 2012 18" SEL factory wheels for sale but don't have a current classified ad running here. See what other people have that might be closer to you, I'm in Dallas.

The dealer may have pulled one over on you if they actually charged you to reset the vehicles computers to run a smaller wheel and tire size. The factory OEM size 18 and 20 inch wheels and tires provide an almost identical speedometer reading and don't require any computer resets. Perhaps the dealer charged to initialize the TPMS sensors, but several hundred dollars is really a rip off!

You can swap the 18 and 20 inch wheels back and forth and don't need any resets done. Once the TPMS sensors have been programmed into your car, they can be removed and then put back on later with no additional service needing done, even if you swap them out into a different wheel!

Remember, if you do get a set of factory wheels, they have to be from a 2011 or newer because of the smaller hub size. The 2010 and earlier will work but you would have to buy some hub centric rings to reduce the older bigger hub size down to your smaller size.

Edited by ls973800

Why not just pick up a set of factory 18" wheels for the winter and save the good ones for summer? There are several posts in the classified with factory wheels, chrome plated or just the alloy finish. I even have a set of the 2012 18" SEL factory wheels for sale but don't have a current classified ad running here. See what other people have that might be closer to you, I'm in Dallas.

The dealer may have pulled one over on you if they actually charged you to reset the vehicles computers to run a smaller wheel and tire size. The factory OEM size 18 and 20 inch wheels and tires provide an almost identical speedometer reading and don't require any computer resets. Perhaps the dealer charged to initialize the TPMS sensors, but several hundred dollars is really a rip off!

You can swap the 18 and 20 inch wheels back and forth and don't need any resets done. Once the TPMS sensors have been programmed into your car, they can be removed and then put back on later with no additional service needing done, even if you swap them out into a different wheel!

Remember, if you do get a set of factory wheels, they have to be from a 2011 or newer because of the smaller hub size. The 2010 and earlier will work but you would have to buy some hub centric rings to reduce the older bigger hub size down to your smaller size.

I could not agree more...

I'm pretty sure Tire Rack sold you an overall wheel circumference nearly identical (+/- 5%) of your stock wheel/rim setup.

That is the proper way to upsize or downsize rim/tire sizing.

I don't see why the "stealership" sold you that crock of sh!t.

Well anyways, for me I run my Stock 22" sport setup for the summer and slush away w/Edge OEM 17" 5spoke Rims & a Beefy Winter Tire set up.

Same overall circumference so seasonal swap-out is very easy.

To bad you sold your stock rims :(

Edited by Eddie Man

The newer wheels are 20s whereas the stock were 18s, the dealer explained to me that I didn't have to do anything with the computers, but the readings would be wrong, so I told them to go ahead + had them do the TPMS even though I have the reset tool.

The stock rims are out, can't unring that bell, but I like the idea of replacing the current set with another set of 20s for summer and dipping the current set for winter use. I've been doing some "how-to" research and it seems if you do it right, the dipping should last a good 2-3 winters easily. It's expensive to go this route, but I don't see how the current wheels can be fixed and they look like crap on my otherwise perfect vehicle.

In the future, coat your wheels with Opti Guard or CQuartz Finest. That will give them the protection you need. I'm in Windsor, just across the River from you and my 2.5 year old wheels are pristine.

How often do you do that in the winter? Is it a once-a-week thing or a once-a-month thing? I've seen a lot people make the same recommendation.

Stock ford rims are expensive. Way more than after market ones. The sport rims that I see guys selling for next to nothing are actually worth as much as 1800 a piece. Even the stock 18" ford edge rims are expensive to replace. I just run my stocks without the TPS installed on them in the winter. Haven't had any issues. To remove the pitting on the rims just use a SOS pad and scrub the shit out of them. They will polish back up. I have polished up some rims in really bad shape.

Edited by Rockballer