Synthetic oil required?

mmmfloorpie

I use Mobile 1 synthetic in all my vehicles (2011 Edge, 2008 Mustang [Warriors In Pink edition], 2012 Fusion, and 2008 E450 Forest River Sunseeker RV). I also use K&N oil filters, mainly for the one inch nut on the bottom of the filter-makes removal much easier. I usually change the oil/filter in all the vehicles at between 7-10K mile intervals.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably wouldn't hurt to change the oil filter every 5K miles though, plus the 1 quart of oil that necessitates. Bascially, follow the lower of oil filter/oil recommended change interval.

I have lived by the 5-6k oil change interval, So far so good for me.

Keep in mind the oils today are far better than the oils of 1978 when I first started driving (you figure out the age, lol) I do remember I had a chevy vega that I never changed oil in just due to the fact that I keep a gallon jug of used oil in the car and whenever it needed oil i just dumped in some. Car quality has definately improved since then!!!

Edited by macbwt

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone notice there fuel economy 30 minute graph going to crap after switching from the Ford 5w20 to Mobil 1 0w20? I had the oil changed at 8500 miles on Saturday and they put in 0w20 instead of the 5w20 Mobil 1 I asked for and I have noticed a big change in fuel mileage since the change, and not in a good way? Right now, with making no change in my driving style and using the cruse control, I have noticed at least 4mpg difference every 6 minutes. I am usually around 24 to 26 avg and now, i see 18's and 22's. I never see below 22 before the oil change.

Any thoughts? I have called the shop and they are changing the 0w20 out for 5w20 this evening.

Thanks in advance.

Well, they replaced the 0w20 with 5w20 last night and this morning coming to work, it was acting much better. During the 40 minute commute to work with the cruse control set at 68, I never once dropped below 22 avg for every 6 minutes and hit a 24 or 25 in there. This is more like what I was getting before the oil change. I have the 3.5L Limited AWD and average 21.5 to 22.5 per tank.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...