Canadian DRL Switch for Aftermarket HID - Success

Just wanted to let everyone know how easy it was to get my DRL settings changed in order to install HID without having to use a canceller.

It took a bit of arguing with the service guys (two separate service advisors said they can't do it, it's illegal). I finally got them to cave in by reinforcing the fact I don't want them to turn DRL off but instead change them to the inner signal markers like all of the Limited's have. I even suggested we go out on the lot and take a look at a Limited to show them.

Anyway, he finally caved (I think he wanted to prove me wrong!). So he went in the back, grabbed a laptop, we walked out to my vehicle parked in front of the service department. He plugged the laptop in, turned the ignition on, the laptop verified the vehicle information, and then under the Exterior/Lighting menu,in the second menu option, it allows you to change this. Changing it did the trick (note the first menu option is disable DRL which is ILLEGAL). But the second menu option was the trick!

Now driving around, my DRL use the inner signal (amber) markers instead of the low-beams. Now I'm ready for HID install!

• 2 weeks later...

I want to know what they used to perform the changes. You mentioned a laptop, this indicates that there may be a program availible to download and use so we can perform these functions without having to spend 3 hours arguing with the dealer. Do you have any more specific info about the program they used?

OMG The dealerships around here are awful! After a day of back and forward BS I was able to convince one of them but I had to make an appointment for a 5 min job! One of the service advisors told me "I can do it because of DOT rules" I asked him if he know what DOT meant and what country he was in.

Buggers. Shouldn't have to pay for such a quick thing (literally 2 minutes right guys?)

Only Ford can do this. You cannot download any software to do this. It's integrated into Ford's internal service computer network. Ie. They plug your car in and it communicates with Ford and verifies your vehicle settings etc.

It sounds like it's officially called "IDS".

Buggers. Shouldn't have to pay for such a quick thing (literally 2 minutes right guys?)

Only Ford can do this. You cannot download any software to do this. It's integrated into Ford's internal service computer network. Ie. They plug your car in and it communicates with Ford and verifies your vehicle settings etc.

It sounds like it's officially called "IDS".

I have no problem fay for a service I asked for. One dealer told me if they could do it they would charge me the shop min of 100 dollars. So that I said "No Thanks"