How To: Remove Front Bumper; 2011-2013 models

Cellbine

As promised, here is the how to on removing your front bumper:

Removing/replacing your bumper only, should take about 1-1.5 hours if this is the first time you have done it. This is a simple job and only requires a few tools.

Your tool list includes:

A socket wrench or crescent wrench

7/32 in. socket

10mm socket

Philips screwdriver

If you don't have a socket wrench set, you can use a crescent wrench on the bolts.

This can easily be a one person job, but it will be easier to remove the bumper with two people. The bumper has the tendency to bend in from the sides when removing it by yourself when pulling from the middle. You will have to watch the sides as you pull the bumper off. If you have 2 people pulling the bumper off, each of you can grab a side and remove the bumper with ease.

As I stated before, this is a simple job that can be accomplished at any automotive skill level. I have taken my bumper off a few times now. Make sure you have some sort of padding on the ground before you remove the bumper. Having something, other than concrete, to rest the bumper on after it is off is a good thing.

If you have vertical lights on your Edge, you will need to remove the clips holding them in before taking the bumper off. Here is a video from DTBL on how to remove these lights that will help:

I hope this how-to helps you. If you have a better way to tackle any of the steps in my video, let us know!
  • Like 5

Cellbine, thanks for the video! I don't have a need to remove mine yet, but I have saved this video for when the day comes. I will eventually replace the chrome grill on my 2013 and this will help I am sure.

Question, other than removing the wire harness to the vertical lamps, is there any need to remove the lamps themselves in order to remove the bumper? I wouldn't think so.

Again, a big thanks for the making and posting of this video!

You're very welcome. The videos I make are done in hopes to help at least 1 person. If I can do that, I'll be very happy.

The only other lamps I can think of that you might be talking about are the headlight units. If you are talking about the headlights, then No. They are not attached in any way to the front bumper. The bumper is placed over parts of the headlights. Here is an animated illustration I created showing how the bumper is placed over those parts of the headlights. The illustration assumes you have disconnected the vertical lights from the bumper.

Bumper-on-off_zps733be442.gif

Let me know if this is what you were talking about.

• Like 2

You want to pull straight out from the side of the vehicle and slightly up. What ever feels most natural. It feels like your going to break it, but trust me you won't. This is the part that scares members who have not taken the bumper off before.

Ill start a new thread on the headlights so we stay on topic here.

I was actually talking about the vertical lamps that are shown in the second video. I just wanted to verify that if you just disconnect the harness you don't need to remove the light assembly themselves in order to remove the bumper. They can remain in the bumper but naturally the harness has to be disconnected.

I see, thanks for clarifying. If you have OEM vertical lights, then yes, you can just disconnect the wiring harness. If you have aftermarket verts, like DTBL, you will need to remove the light assembly as the wiring is not able to disconnect from the lights themselves.

In the event that an Admin or Moderator see this, can I make a suggestion that a How To Folder is made? I've been a very active member on a few other forums and a specified How To section is a extremely helpful source of info (usually pertaining to mods) and it really helps to have them all in one area.

Also, great video :)

Here are some pics for you. There is one bottom clip and 3 top clips all together. The bottom clip pushes in on the outside of the metal clip shown here:

20130707_183228_zps3eb00d22.jpg

The top clips are held into place by a plastic "prong/clip". Each clip on the bumper has a hole that snaps into the prong. Clips can be seen in this picture with the red arrows pointing to them:

clips_zps27a51dbe.jpg

When pulling this part of the bumper off, hold directly behind the bottom clip ( Blue arrow 1) and pull in the direction of Blue arrow 2. When done like this, it should not take much force to get the bumper unclipped from the body. The red arrows in the picture below will follow when the bottom clip has released. Notice the holes in the top 3 clips of the bumper, this was mentioned above the second picture.

pulling_zpsb0be6978.jpg

When putting the bumper back on, start by pushing the bottom clip into place then the top 3. Remember that the bottom clip will cover the metal clip on the outside. When done, the flexible wheel well will screw directly through the hole in the bumper and then into the metal clip.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If we are replacing the lower bumper of the grill (mine is chrome, do we need to remove the bumper in order to pop it out? Or can it be remove without the bumper having to be taken off? Any help would be awesome, thanks!

Yes, you will have to remove your grill. The chrome strips are held in with built in clips only accessible from behind the grill.

Thanks again for the video! Just took my bumper off and headlights out. Took 15 minutes (impact drill helps!).

Removing the chrome grilles SUCKED!!! I wrestled with those bastards for 45 minutes.

I'll put in the black grilles in the morning and PD the upper chrome piece and the chrome portion of the headlights tomorrow as well.

Bumper was VERY easy to remove. Had I known it was that easy I would have done it to change out my headlights to HID instead of trying to chane the bulbs from the rear.

• Like 1

Awesome! Wish I had an impact drill LOL. I need to rotate one of my HID bulbs, it is angled up a bit an I need to change that before winter. So Ill unscrew the top and sides of the bumper, leave the bottom in place, and try to lean it back (supported) to slide the headlight out. You're right, so much easier than going in from the rear.

Removing the chrome inserts does suck and you have to be careful too. You don't want to bend or break those cheap clips off. I don't think I would remove them again for dipping. I'm happy that process is over with.

Removing the chrome inserts does suck and you have to be careful too. You don't want to bend or break those cheap clips off. I don't think I would remove them again for dipping. I'm happy that process is over with.

Sorry to be slightly off topic, but would you just keep the bumper on and tape the grill instead for dipping? I'm probably going to PD my grill this weekend and was going to take the bumper off. But if the clips in the back are that bad and take a while to get off I might as well spend the time taping if off instead.

Thanks,

-Russ

Yes Russ, taping your grill off is perfectly fine. If you tape everything off properly, it would probably take the same amount of time as taking the grill and inserts off. The more prep work you put in to taping, the better the out come. Just be aware of the tape pulling the dip off after it has dried. Try to take it off right after your last coat. This is where taking your inserts off would help. You dont have to worry about the dip peeling off and leaving an uneven or torn line. Also, if you take your inserts out, you will have a better product at the end because you can dip the inserts more completely and they look better when placed back in. That's how mine was done and it looks great.

Good luck with your decision. Both ways have pluses and minuses.

I tried taping it the first time, but perhap I'm just really bad at taping.

I had overspray on some of the black honeycomb in the bumper and a bunch of little crevices that were a bitch to tape. I also peeled a bunch of PD off when removing the tape. I just wasn't happy with the results, so I peeled it.

Now I just swapped out my chrome grill for the primed black one. Looks matte just like my PD rims and upper-most chrome piece and headlight trim that I dipped.

I'll get some photos up over the weekend after I clean my car.

Another benefit to removing the bumper is that wiring my v2 DTBLs are a breeze. Also snugged up my HID bulbs.