Power Steering TSB

Our '13 Limited is just four months old, has less than 3,000 miles on it and is in the shop for its fifth replacement of power steering components. This time they are replacing the entire system - pump, reservoir, rack and hoses. The pump and rack have been replaced twice each already, the reservoir once and this is the first time for hoses.

It started out as a loud groaning noise when turning left. The dealer suspected the power steering pump and replaced it under warranty. When the noise continued, they discovered a technical service bulletin advising of a contamination problem and updating the pump with replacement stock (apparently all the old pumps were removed from stock and replaced - I don't know if it was a redesign or a manufacturing problem). When that still didn't solve the problem, they were advised by Ford to replace the steering rack. On the fourth try, Ford advised them to replace the rack again and the reservoir because of suspected contamination in the system. Now they've had a Ford engineer look at it and they're going to replace everything one more time.

Does anyone know where I can get more information on this TSB? It started out as a noise but now I'm thinking it may be something more serious and I don't want to risk driving a vehicle with potential steering problems.

It's not a TSB, it's a SSM. The full text is:

SOME 2011-2013 EDGE/MKX VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A HIGH-PITCHED SQUEAL NOISE FROM THE POWER STEERING PUMP WHEN STEERING WHEEL IS FULLY TURNED TO EITHER LEFT OR RIGHT STEERING STOP POSITION. REPLACE POWER STEERING PUMP WITH LATEST LEVEL SERVICE PART. REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL, SECTION 211-02. USE EXISTING LABOR TIME OPERATION NUMBER. SUSPECT SERVICE PARTS HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM SERVICE DEPOT STOCK.

Squeal noises are inherrent in any hydraulic system, it's just a matter of damping them out. It doesn't indicate any kind of imminent failure. In fact I'd suspect it's more likely that you'll have a failure due to all the replacement of parts and some hose not being tightened up rather than a failure as a direct result of the noise. And no matter what happens, your steering wheel will always be connected to the wheels, so you will always have the ability to steer the vehicle even if the hydraulics fail completely.

Edited by Waldo

Could be the wheel bearing(s). It's too early, I know, but the first-gens had a TSB out for that.

The noise was present at delivery with 199 miles on it. I suppose it could be bearings or some suspension component but that begs the question "why only during left turns?"

It's not a TSB, it's a SSM. The full text is:

SOME 2011-2013 EDGE/MKX VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A HIGH-PITCHED SQUEAL NOISE FROM THE POWER STEERING PUMP WHEN STEERING WHEEL IS FULLY TURNED TO EITHER LEFT OR RIGHT STEERING STOP POSITION. REPLACE POWER STEERING PUMP WITH LATEST LEVEL SERVICE PART. REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL, SECTION 211-02. USE EXISTING LABOR TIME OPERATION NUMBER. SUSPECT SERVICE PARTS HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM SERVICE DEPOT STOCK.

Thank you! However, that description doesn't match the symptoms we're experiencing. I hope they're not chasing the wrong problem. Ours has a groaning noise (relatively low pitch) that occurs when turning left at speeds above about 10-15 mph (e.g. highway on-ramp or a wide intersection). We aren't turning the wheel more than a quarter turn... nowhere near the steering lock.

I can see where there might be an issue with the power steering pump relief valve that would cause noise but we're not turning the wheel far enough to involve the relief valve.

Thank you! However, that description doesn't match the symptoms we're experiencing. I hope they're not chasing the wrong problem. Ours has a groaning noise (relatively low pitch) that occurs when turning left at speeds above about 10-15 mph (e.g. highway on-ramp or a wide intersection). We aren't turning the wheel more than a quarter turn... nowhere near the steering lock.

I can see where there might be an issue with the power steering pump relief valve that would cause noise but we're not turning the wheel far enough to involve the relief valve.

That sounds more like an engine ground out. When you turn left, then engine rolls a bit to the right inside the body and can cause something like an A/C line or exhaust shield to make contact with the body. This can cause a groan like you describe and also explains why it only happens to the left and not the right. I'd have them inspect all the lines and peripherals of the engine for anything loose or out of position.

• 3 months later...

I have a 2013 Ford Egde Limited 38k - manufacturing date is 02/2012

Symtoms: "high squeal" & confirmed leak of power steering (significant)

Diagnosis: ? (Pending further work up)

I'm out of warranty by 3k with no extended warranty. Purchased 9/2013 w/ 36k

Question is, is it more likely to be the pump or a component such as the rack or lines?

If the pump or rack will Ford replace this if this is a known issue.

Thewizard- has your issue resolved?

post-28529-0-91065200-1384920868_thumb.jpg

post-28529-0-96200800-1384920881_thumb.jpg

Edited by ccaatx

• 1 year later...

My steering rack looks pretty similar to yours. It still works with not much of an issue. The lines to your power steering have a history of breaking and it looks in your photo that the fluid is leaking and spraying the entire underside of the vehicle similar to what my power steering hose did. I am betting the power steering pump is good just a line that is leaking. Still a pricy fix as the part alone is in the $100 plus category.

I have a 2013 Ford Egde Limited 38k - manufacturing date is 02/2012

Symtoms: "high squeal" & confirmed leak of power steering (significant)
Diagnosis: ? (Pending further work up)

I'm out of warranty by 3k with no extended warranty. Purchased 9/2013 w/ 36k

Question is, is it more likely to be the pump or a component such as the rack or lines?
If the pump or rack will Ford replace this if this is a known issue.
Thewizard- has your issue resolved?

• Like 1