Exhaust Smell Update

Lee1

A follow up of my post in June about the exhaust smell in my 2013 Edge Sport I purchased in April. I had it in to the dealer three .times so they could try some things on it and there might have been a little improvement. I took it back in today so a Ford rep from Seattle could look at it. He told me that Ford is just finishing a TSB for this problem and I looked at it on the computer at the dealer. I left my Edge their and will pick it up tomorrow. He said that the fix has worked on the ones they have tried. It involves replacing the pressure relief vents under the rear bumper and adding sealant to some of the body seams in the rear area. Hope this helps mine.

A follow up of my post in June about the exhaust smell in my 2013 Edge Sport I purchased in April. I had it in to the dealer three .times so they could try some things on it and there might have been a little improvement. I took it back in today so a Ford rep from Seattle could look at it. He told me that Ford is just finishing a TSB for this problem and I looked at it on the computer at the dealer. I left my Edge their and will pick it up tomorrow. He said that the fix has worked on the ones they have tried. It involves replacing the pressure relief vents under the rear bumper and adding sealant to some of the body seams in the rear area. Hope this helps mine.

Lee1,

I couldn't spot anything that looked like a vent under my rear bumper. What pressure would they release? What do they look like?

Thanks

Larry

They are called cabin air extractors and they are located behind the body panel right below the tail lights. Their are two on each side and are about 2 1/2" x 4 ". They are a thin rubber flap, one above the other. The bottom one has a small diameter spring wire going across it. I had all four of mine changed out once because they were deformed and they replaced two of them again because they were deformed again. When the service tech opened and closed the rear passenger door I saw all four of them open up from the air pressure. I the fix that they tried from the tsb I believe was the same as the Ford flex. I will take it in next week and have them check for carbon dioxide. The service manager went out and bought one for this project.

The '13 Explorers are having the same issue. Took my wife's in and they did just what you described (2 parts and a sealant applied to the vent under the rear bumper) and it seems to have fixed it.

Appears I spoke too soon...it's still there although not quite as bad...looks like it will be going back again soon.

They are called cabin air extractors and they are located behind the body panel right below the tail lights. Their are two on each side and are about 2 1/2" x 4 ". They are a thin rubber flap, one above the other. The bottom one has a small diameter spring wire going across it. I had all four of mine changed out once because they were deformed and they replaced two of them again because they were deformed again. When the service tech opened and closed the rear passenger door I saw all four of them open up from the air pressure. I the fix that they tried from the tsb I believe was the same as the Ford flex. I will take it in next week and have them check for carbon dioxide. The service manager went out and bought one for this project.

Lee1, Thanks I'll check it out. So far I haven't smelled exhaust.

Larry

Northern,Indiana

post-26092-0-84109100-1376309573_thumb.jpg

Lee1, Thanks I'll check it out. So far I haven't smelled exhaust.

Larry

Northern,Indiana

Lee1 and Group, I don't know if certain models have the vents but mine sure doesn't. I got underneath with a flashlight, looked everywhere, no vents, slits nothing that even looked like a vent. Mine is a 2013 SEL. It was built January 2013, don't know if that would make any difference unless ford discontinued the vents because of the exhaust smell??

Larry

Lee1 and Group, I don't know if certain models have the vents but mine sure doesn't. I got underneath with a flashlight, looked everywhere, no vents, slits nothing that even looked like a vent. Mine is a 2013 SEL. It was built January 2013, don't know if that would make any difference unless ford discontinued the vents because of the exhaust smell??

Larry

Every car has those vents. They're what let out the air if the airbags go off.

You can not see them unless your remove the body panel that covers the rear bumper. I test drove the car today with the ford rep with me and of course I could not make it smell like normal. He did smell it and determined that it is coming from the rear. I was not to happy with some of the answers I was getting from him. He wanted me to try a different type of gasoline, I always use Arco, and see if the smell is still there. That does not seem to be the solution to me, but I said I would try it for a week. My thought that I expressed is if they think is the cabin air vents why not block them off totally and I will test drive it and see if I still get the smell. This to me would tell you if it was them or something else. Im also discussing with the dealer about ordering me in a replacement Edge and exchanging them.

Lee1,

For now I'm not going to remove parts to check the vents. I haven't smelled exhaust fumes. Or may have smelled some and thought it came from another vehicle. I will keep my nose open. haha

Sounds to me the Rep is giving you a real gas job. Never heard of such a lame excuse.

Thanks for your replies

Larry

• 1 month later...

I have a 2013 edge SEL AWD and i am facing the same smell problem, especially when you accelerate, first they made some adjustment in the exhaust but it didn't work, then they said it is a matter of program and they are waiting for an update to solve this issue, and at last today they said it is a common problem in ford edge and they are looking for a solution for it, time after time it is getting stronger, if you drive a long distance maybe you will not smell but you feel headache.

I have had my edge in about 4 more times to resolve the issue. No luck. The latest that I have heard is that they may make a program change so that your throttle response would change your climate control so that when you accelerate quickly your climate fan would increase speed to pressurize the cabin that would keep fumes from coming in during that moment. Wait and see.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have you checked the seals around the lift gate? If these seals are cracked, damaged or just don't seal correctly, there can be exhaust intrusion. What you can also do is get a "smoke machine and turn on your ac (fresh air mode) on high, turn on the smoke machine till the car is full of smoke and go to the back of the truck and see where smoke is being forced out. It will come out of the air extractors since that is what they are designed for but if it comes out anywhere else, you have found your leak.

• 2 weeks later...

When I started this topic last year my Edge was about a month old and had 1400 miles on it when I first took it back with this problem. After 16 months and several attempts to resolve the problem by Ford, I now own a 2014 Edge Sport and there is no exhaust smell at this time. Ford bought back my 2013 Edge Sport through there program,and my dealer found me a 2014 identical to my old one. I had to pay for the 1400 miles of use that was on it at the first time I reported the problem. This was based on my states lemon law. You might want to ask your dealer about this option.

Edited by Lee1
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I missed the Ga Lemon law by a few thousand miles before I realized it. It's strange how it doesn't do it in the winter when running the heater, only when run the A/C in the warmer months, which is more frequent in the south. I recently inquired with the dealer again about another fix and was told there was not one after they again check with a Ford engineer; and my response was 'we'll be looking for a replacement' with no push back what so ever...so, my fix...we have 2015 Toyota Highlander XLE on the way this week. Sorry Ford, but that's what the wife decided and she will never drive another (unless she has to drive my Fusion)...I'm going with the happy wife route!

Porous/leaky exhaust manifolds maybe? They should have replaced the exhaust system for you by now, carbonedge! How's your Fusion coming along?

As for the Fusion, I said I'd never go back to a sedan, but I may have to say the same thing now about an SUV/CUV. I like the handling better, even though it's not a sports car, I was surprised to see how much better it takes corners and such, and with these new Toyo Proxes on it...oh my, had some Cooper CS4s on it and they rode great, but did not corner well; I'm taking some turns/curves up to 15 mph faster with the Toyos.

I've also gotten hooked on E85 now that I found a station in my commute route that sells it...yeah, it's less mpg, but there's more oomph per right foot/gas pedal application with the higher octane rating, plus it runs smoother; gotta pay to play...

• Like 1

Too bad Ford can't figure it out either. I did see that a leaking fuel rail was the cause on an F150 having the problem. Does it happen with the MAX A/C on also, carbonedge?

Tires do make a difference. You tend to forget what a vehicle handles like, until you put new ones on :)

I've replicated the issue on all A/C options, although it's still inconsistent; I even thought I smelt it one morning with no heat or air running with the driver's window cracked open, so that made me think it was definitely something under the hood and not coming from the back. But we're done with it now and not wasting anymore of our time trying to get it fixed.