Rear brake seized, continuing problems

Well my rear left brake seized a couple weeks ago and I had to do an emergency road side brake service to get myself home that day. Last weekend I replaced the rear rotors and pads because everything on that brake was burnt to a crisp. I drove about 400 kms this weekend back and forth on city highways and I noticed the brake burning smell again, but the caliper is still free. The rear left again has heat discolouration on the new rotor, but seemed just as hot as the rear right side which has very little discolouration.

I'm thinking of just getting two rebuilt calipers for the rear. Will this fix the rubbing problem it has? Is there any way I can go about fixing it? This is very annoying, I only have 87,000 kms on the damn thing. It's a 2011 BTW.

Edited by alhope34

Our caliper sliders were corroded and destroyed the rears at only 25k miles. Ford would not cover the pads and rotors under warranty even though they were verified to have plenty of life left only 1 week prior and obviously failed due to a malfunctioning part that was covered under warranty (the caliper slider). This is why I will never purchase another Ford vehicle again in my lifetime.

You will find good and bad examples of every vehicle, My parents' yaris (which is usually a bombproof vehicle) had its VVTi system go at 35,000 kms and the alternator at 50,000. It has 198,000 kms now with no other problems, though. Luckily both of those repairs were done under warranty.

Anyway, I got the caliper today. Im going to install it Saturday. Its fun to also have a sport bike as I can always leave the car at home haha.

Good luck with the install. I miss my bike.....sigh. As far as good and bad examples of vehicles, I totally agree. My issue is more with Ford not honoring their warranty for something that was clearly damaged while under said warranty. Oh well, either way, hope your replacement does the trick and gets you back up and running again!

• 1 month later...

Well my 2012 Edge has more problems with computer than I can count BUT now my brake booster went out. I had a hard petal and could almost stop until a couple days ago, they went. I flew thru a stop sign. Thank goodness no one was coming from the other way. Dealership replaced, I picked up the vehicle. I got 1/2 mile away and I started having hesitation and it would barely move. I saw no warning lights (they asked me this at dealership) I parked, called my Father. We turned the vehicle bad on, it would not move in reverse or forward. He played around with the brake pedal, pushed it down, put his foot under and lifted up on brake pedal. We were then able to back out of parking spot so it could be loaded on the wrecker. They took to dealership. Not they can't recreate problem. They say could be plunger stuck ????!!!! I am so scared that I will get vehicle back, travel down interstate and it happen at high rate of speed. Then what??? On the govt. Recall site there are several complaints. This is a safety issue. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. How many times does this have to happen before it becomes a recall. My first Ford ever...........bad taste from this. Please respond.........jaxbaglady@yahoo.com. if you know what to do about this or had this problem. Scared to drive!!

Our caliper sliders were corroded and destroyed the rears at only 25k miles. Ford would not cover the pads and rotors under warranty even though they were verified to have plenty of life left only 1 week prior and obviously failed due to a malfunctioning part that was covered under warranty (the caliper slider). This is why I will never purchase another Ford vehicle again in my lifetime.

If this happened to you, if you had a Honda, Toyota, or other brand, would you still feel the same ? Just curious why so many are against Fords..

Edited by JOEHIO

I had a hard petal and could almost stop until a couple days ago, they went. I flew thru a stop sign.

It amazes me how many people IGNORE a serious symptom such as a hard brake pedal which could almost stop! They say it was like that until a couple days ago when the brakes finally failed!

People like this are driving around every day risking themselves and others!

• 10 months later...

Two months ago, I heard loud noises coming from my rear brakes; so I took my 2012 to the dealership and the rear brakes were seized. They said that it was due to the pin that was rusted and jammed. The discs were warped and the pads were cracked. They had to replace everything and it cost me around 800$.

My advice is: get your brakes serviced regularly; so they can grease the pins properly.

I noticed that high pressure washes (such as, car wash lateral water jet - to clean the sides of the car) can remove the grease from brakes' mechanism.

Edited by sylvainm

Rear brakes seizing is a common occurrence on most vehicles, if they are not serviced regularly. I am not proud to say that it recently happened on my ford edge (thankfully I found out early enough to prevent any disk or pad damage), but it also happened on my mazda 6 (seized open, leaving my disk to rust) and we would see it regularly on many different brands every year when we were doing charity tire swap event at work (winter tire to summer tire).

Every vehicle regular maintenance typically includes lubrification of the callipers at different intervals and/or when replacing the pads and discs (a step that is often missed when people are changing their brake themselves). My wife's mazda 3 just came back for a regular services and the technician mentioned that rear calliper slider barrel cleaning/reaming was required. A good technician, dealership will identify issues like those, which will prevent the brakes from seizing.

Bottom line, rear brakes are seizing all the time, regular preventive maintenance is the key to prevent it.

• Like 1

Doing my brakes all around as I don't think dealer does lube the slider pins. Had new rotors, pads and calipers replaced 2 years ago. Front driver side dragging again, new aftermarket rotors and pads going on tomorrow and making sure calipers get greased.

I just had the same problem. My ebrake seized on 2010 edge and it roasted my pads, rotors, and calipers. I got everything changed except the ebrake, and now I'm attempting to install the new brake shoe (with an experienced mechanic) but can't figure out where to put the coil spring. If anyone has any experience changing the brake shoes can you email me at skot_in_windsor@hotmail.com.

Thanks

post-31700-0-85225500-1407167616_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scottm86