2011 Edge Sport - max towing rate in lbs ???

All Edges without the towing package are rated for 2000 lbs. When equipped with the Trailer Tow Package, the tow rating is 3500 lbs.

So, since the Sport does not come with the Tow Package, you are limited to 2000 lbs only. Note that it is not only the wheel size, the tow package includes several upgraded component to allow the extra weight.

See attached snapshot from the 2013 Ford Edge Source Book.

post-24673-0-48213700-1377260583_thumb.png

• Like 1

Tow ratings are a gray area, honestly. You can buy a hitch for a non-tow-package-equipped Edge that is rated for 3500#, that's what I did for my 2011 Limited. The tow package adds trailer sway control and an additional transmission cooler, but there's no physical reason that you can't safely pull a full 3500#.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So towing my focus from Cali to Illinois on a car dolly wouldn't be a good idea then :(

How much does the tow dolly weigh? Which Focus? The Mk1 and 2 are only ~2500-2700lbs, so they'd be fine with a 3500lb hitch. The Mk3 is ~3000 (ST is 3200), so they'd be close.

Edited by Laminar

• 6 months later...

Not trying to thread jack here. But i have 2011 sport with a factory tow package i installed myself. Iam wondering if anyone has towed a boat weighing 3800 lbs? The trailer has surge brakes and its tandem axle. I know its not rated for that much but the 3.7 has plenty of power to pull that much weight. Iam trying to decide if i can pull it from riverside CA to Slc UT.

Not trying to thread jack here. But i have 2011 sport with a factory tow package i installed myself. Iam wondering if anyone has towed a boat weighing 3800 lbs? The trailer has surge brakes and its tandem axle. I know its not rated for that much but the 3.7 has plenty of power to pull that much weight. Iam trying to decide if i can pull it from riverside CA to Slc UT.

Power isn't the only thing you need for towing. Are you still on the stock tires? Have you calculated how much extra load capacity they have?

Thanks for the reply Waldo, Im on the stock wheels with different tires. According to load capacity they are good for 8400 lbs. I know power isnt everything but im not worried about pulling it down hill or on turns. Iam worried about not being able to pull up hills. So if im doing this right the edge weighs 4472 lbs. That still gives me an extra 3928 lbs on the tires.

Thanks for the reply Waldo, Im on the stock wheels with different tires. According to load capacity they are good for 8400 lbs. I know power isnt everything but im not worried about pulling it down hill or on turns. Iam worried about not being able to pull up hills. So if im doing this right the edge weighs 4472 lbs. That still gives me an extra 3928 lbs on the tires.

You have to look at the axle, not the total vehicle. When you load a trailer that's 3800lbs, you're probably going to have about 15% tongue weight = 570lbs. That weight acts behind the rear axle, so it probably puts about 650lbs on the rear axle (and take 80lbs off the front). All the luggage you're adding in the rear also goes almost completely on the rear axle to, so you need to remember that. But it does seem this would still add up to less than the ~4000lb capacity of the two rear tires, so that isn't likely to be an issue. Just make sure you keep the pressures up.

My 2012 MKX is equipped with the factory tow package. It easily pulls my 18-foot center console boat on a single axle aluminum trailer that's equipped with surge brakes and weighs in at just over 3,900 lbs when the boat's 50-gallon fuel tank is full.

The rear end of my MKX does sag a bit once the trailer is fully sitting on the hitch ball, but it's not excessive and I haven't noticed any significant handling effects beyond normal towing forces.

I cannot say what the tongue weight of my boat trailer is, but the boat was delivered on the trailer directly from the boat manufacturer, so their positioning of the boat relative to the trailer's single axle should put the tongue weight within the 7% to 10% industry guideline. The next time I'm around a CAT Scale I'll have to verify that.

Consistent with Waldo's advice, I do keep my tire pressures on the MKX and the boat trailer aired up to the maximum psi that's shown on the tires' sidewall.

I normally launch the boat close to home, but I've towed the boat on trips of several hundred miles at posted highway speeds of 65-to-70 mph with no problems at all.

The MKX & boat/trailer combo accelerates very well and stops safely, without exhibiting any sway effect. I was honestly surprised how well the single-axle trailer tracked on straightaways and through sweeping turns, though fuel economy does drop to 8-to-10 mpg, depending on the terrain.

By driving defensively and keeping plenty of stopping distance away from traffic in front of me, I look forward to safely towing for many years beyond the two years I've already enjoyed.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Consistent with Waldo's advice, I do keep my tire pressures on the MKX and the boat trailer aired up to the maximum psi that's shown on the tires' sidewall.

That's not what I meant at all, running at the maximum psi on the sidewall is dangerous! That high a pressure significantly reduces your contact patch and will make your vehicle take much longer to stop in an emergency situation.

I'd recommend sticking to the pressures on the door sticker or a little bit over, but nowhere near the max pressure.

• Like 1

Waldo: I've always enjoyed your technical contributions and I appreciate your comments on my use of max tire pressure, which I've seen advised in posts on several boat-related forums.

Based on your comment, I searched online and found the single-axle calculation method in the attached worksheet, which I'll use to ensure my tire pressures are matched to the load of towing my boat, as you advise.

Thanks!

Calculating Proper Towing Tire Pressures.pdf

How do you think your transmission handles the weight? My new concern is over heating the transmission. (Edit) Turns out i read the wrong weight specs for the boat and trailer. Boat weighs 3200 lbs and trailer weighs additional 1100 lbs bringing me to hearty grand total of 4300 lbs. So now im extremely concerned im to heavy. What decides how much weight you can tow? Axle, Transmission, motor? Stopping doesn't concern me as much being that the trailer has surge brakes.

Edited by shredthegnar

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone that is curious i ended up using a diesel truck to pull the boat home. But i use my edge to pull the boat full of gas and equipment to the lake twice a week now. This trip usually includes going up Provo canyon. I wouldn't say it pulls it amazing as far as power goes but i have never felt out of control. I can stop good also. I tried to upload a picture but i cant figure out how.