Except the vleds tritons...

Yup, you're right there... the Tritons are impressive bulbs that are very bright and handle heat well enough to be used as DRLs. But they're almost $150 per pair for 3157 switchbacks. I'm not saying they aren't worth every penny - just that they're not the kind of thing you find on ebay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271153815801?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

this is the item i bought from ebay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271153815801?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

so do i still need to wire resistors right?

can you help me where to wire the resistors?

thanks.

I have no idea whether those would be appropriate for DRLs but from the description I expect the seller has no idea either. For example, they claim that the same bulb will fit both standard 3157 and 3157CK sockets. That would be an amazing feat since CK sockets put both ground pins on one side of the slot whereas standard sockets put both grounds at one end of the slot. Mixing them up will cause a dead short and blow a fuse.

But you've already ordered them so you might as well try them. Yes, they will still need resistors. You wire a resistor on each side with one end connected to the turn signal power feed wire and the other end connected to ground. On the front left that would be the blue/green power wire to the black/green ground wire. On the front right it would be yellow/purple power to black/gray ground.

• 3 weeks later...

Cwatkins, I had my dealer switch my DRL function from headlights to front turn signals because I wanted to install hid and didn't want them on all day. When I bought DTBL Edge2, I went back to the dealer to see if the led light pipes could be selected as DRL. A few members said it could be done and it would make for an easy install. Just plug them in for power but the option was not available. The OEM light pipes would never be bright enough to be used as DRL so the option to use them is not available.

When you have factory hid, the front turn signals are used as DRL. To use the amber turn signal portion of the DTBL DRL, you have to connect them to the front turn signal wiring which in this case is on all the time so it won't won't work. You need to connect the turn signal trigger to the rear turn signals which is a PITA. I went to the dealer to get the DRL function changed back to the headlights but it does not appear in the list after you have changed it to front turn signals.

The option to change from headlight DRL to front turn signal DRL is easy. You just have to convince your dealer to do it. To convince them to turn DRL function off in order to use DTBL DRL is more difficult and dependant on local laws. I may just keep my front turn signals as DRL and tie the turn signal trigger into the rear circuits.

I have ordered a wiring manual for the 13 edge and hope to find a way to use OEM wiring to power DTBL DRL and tie the turn signal trigger into the wiring in the engine compartment.

Norm ... I have a Cdn 2012 Edge LTD AWD loaded & HID. My DRL's are also Front Turn Signal, and I have DTBL Edge-2 installed but wiring not connected yet. Have you found the "engine compartment" tie in location for the Edge-2 trigger wires?

Fuse box in the engine compartment. It may be difficult to find rear turn signal wires in the wiring harness in the engine bay.

Dan has found them in the drivers footwell wiring. I prefer not to run cables through the grommets so I will investigate other options.

It may be a while. Now that it's cold here, I have to wait until our bay at work is empty so I can park inside. Don't want to be unbundling cables in below zero temps.

Hi Norm, you said you could have dealer to disable the DRL once you have the EDGE2 working. isn't it easier than connecting wires to the rear turn signal? Keep us posted if there's any update. I'm thinking of getting the HID and EDGE2 next year for my 2013 Edge SEL.

Jay

Yes the dealer offered to turn off the front turn signal as DRL provided I had after market DRL capability (EDGE2 in this case) and yes it would be easier to connect to the front turns.

I like the look of the amber DRL and the EDGE2 at the same time so I'm torn between turning off the amber and the pain of connecting to rear turns.

I have tow package on my edge so there is a relay for the trailer harness in the engine fuse box with the turn signals on it. It's just finding the time to monkey around.

You would never have to go all the way to the back for the rear turn signal circuit - it's available behind the left kick panel. I installed my strobe control box there because it was easy to connect to the signals and there was plenty of room for it. So, worst case scenario, you would have to run a pair of wires through the existing grommet in the firewall (it's fairly easy to reach once you remove the battery) to the left kick panel. But the trailer package wiring sounds like a better solution if it has what you need under the hood.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey Norm,

I also have Ford 2013 Edge SEL. Installed the Morimoto HID with standalone Can-Bus. But the DRL is a problem currently in my car. I called the service department and they refused and denied that the DRL can be switched to Amber front turn signals. What should I do? any possible solutions that I may have? somebody suggested me to install HID extra capacitors to have HID work as DRL too. Please let me know as I very new to FORD HID system.

Thanks

Not true at all about switching the DRL function from headlights to front turn signals. IT IS possible and I had it done. It's in the exterior lighting section of the Ford IDS software. My dealer was willing to do it.

What is the issue you are having with your HID's? Are they not firing or you just don't want them on 24/7?

The headlights operate at a lower voltage during the day when they are on as DRL. Approximately 10 volts. If you are connected directly to the ballast with stock wiring and your HID's are not firing, the voltage may be too low. Do they fire properly if you switch your headlights on? If so, you would be best to connect the ballasts directly to battery through a relay. When the DRL's turn on, the relay fires and gives the ballasts 13.5 VDC all the time.

I am assuming since he mentioned 35W morimoto kit this is what he bought: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3957

That kits mentions a standalone canbus as an option which I guess replaces the relay?

I think he has defined the problem as the headlights are on all the time and teh DRL/vertical DRL strip go off?

mnubedi, Do your HID ballasts connect directly to the factory wiring harness for the light bulb?

if so perhaps you should get a relay or two in there as suggested in the post above above?

Edited by 12Edge

I have a morimoto 3five(35W) 6000K kit with standalone can bus that they give. the ballast are currently connected to Canbus harness and then the harness is connected to the HID bulbs. I got can bus harness thinking it will fix the DRL auto lamp issue. But when the auto mode is on, and we go from bright day light to night. the bulbs don't fire at all, plus the amber lights and the vertical bars on bumper go off as well... means everything goes off. Then i have to turn the light knob to "off" position and turn it back to "on" position. plus some times even if i have the knob to just "on" position, one of the bulbs stays off and sometimes both work fine. I did consult morimoto; they suggested relay harness with resistors, which will let my HID works 24/7 and having the light knob to auto mode will not give me any issues.

What do you suggest?

Since you cross posted all over the place, I'll just respond here...

I thought I read that TRS just had a batch of poor performing ballasts. Have you requested an exchange?

You may also want to consider adding capacitors ($6 on ebay for the pair), this will give your kit an extra "boost" when initially firing up which may resolve your issue as well.

Have you also considered having your DRLs changed to your parking lamps (or turned off if your considering an aftermarket drl). As you've been told, this can be done at your ford dealership via IDS.

And lastly, just as a completely off topic comment. I had the distinct pleasure of sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on the QEW (driving from Burlington back to Toronto) right in front of the oakville ford facility last week. I had to grin and bear it, while driving my rental Camry.

• Like 1