Modified OEM intake box

Msl558

hey guys,

decided to do the same trick i did on the stock intake box on my 13 fx2 to my 13 edge. I took the snorcle out of the intake box and use a droo in K&N filter and boom!!! got the swusshhh sound and growl at the engine.. attached is the photo of the intake box and snorcle...

ill try to shoot a vid later on. love the sound!!!

post-28014-0-72603000-1381711509_thumb.jpg

post-28014-0-80997200-1381711527_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

If your looking for even more intake noise/growl remove the intake muffler. The intake muffler is that square box that you have your K&N decal on. The intake muffler is attached to the rubber intake tube. You will need to cap off the holes after you remove this muffler. There was a thread on here about this mod. The caps could be bought at Homedepot, Lowe's, or Menard's.

If your looking for even more intake noise/growl remove the intake muffler. The intake muffler is that square box that you have your K&N decal on. The intake muffler is attached to the rubber intake tube. You will need to cap off the holes after you remove this muffler. There was a thread on here about this mod. The caps could be bought at Homedepot, Lowe's, or Menard's.

Thanks for the info... do u have the link? if i can find a vid and pix and if they will work ok i might do it. right now im.satisfied on the sound and growl!! and i also noticed that my srock exhaust addup a mellow to it...

How did you take the bottom part of the airbox out, Msl? I unbolted the one bolt that holds it to the frame in front, but there seems to be something underneath holding it also. Wanted to clean it out in vitro. TIA.

open the hood..then take the o2 sensor off then take the 2 bolt out by the snorkle (front located near the driver side headlights) the loosen the clamp on the. intake tube then take the ube off the box. pull the whole box.

there is one screw at the back of the intake box, then push the snorkle out with a flat screw driver. hope this helps.

• Like 1

you talking about that square plastic piece sitting on top of the rubber intake tube? what do u recommend putting on that if i took that off? thanks!

any updates?

Will give it a go today. Fingers crossed :) I did change out the filter (Purolator Classic) the other day (Motorcraft, old = dirty), and I do have to say that it made a small-but-noticeable improvement. Apparently the shine-the-light-through-the-filter standard is not enough to check for adequate airflow these days.

• Like 1

Will give it a go today. Fingers crossed :) I did change out the filter (Purolator Classic) the other day (Motorcraft, old = dirty), and I do have to say that it made a small-but-noticeable improvement. Apparently the shine-the-light-through-the-filter standard is not enough to check for adequate airflow these days.

videos?pix? lol!!!!

Attempted to capture the live differences in filters/no filter situation. Better in person :(

Old filter didn't look that dirty to me, but compared to the new one, certainly.

No screws/bolts for bottom of air box. I think it is held on to the bracket beneath with plastic pushpins maybe?

New Purolator Classic Filter.mp3

No Filter.mp3

Old Motorcraft Filter.mp3

post-23566-0-29480900-1382412368_thumb.jpg

Since your talking about Air Filters, I have noticed that the replacement filters (FA-1884) is different than the one that came in the car from factory. Same part number, but the factory one was orange/yellow with a steel mesh, the replacement is black/white. Wonder what is the difference & which is better (if any is).

post-24673-0-01734500-1382422473_thumb.jpg

post-24673-0-31930800-1382422488_thumb.jpg

post-24673-0-65799600-1382422501_thumb.jpg

Edited by omar302

I would imagine them to be about the same in flow/filtration. There are a few cross-brand comparisons on the 'net, for example:

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/air-filter-study.html

I think, for real power benefit at least, the entire air tract has to be engineered as a unit, so you get the coldest, cleanest air possible into the engine at any speed/rpm.

Dingo uses a Green Filter (http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/12132-cold-air-intake-information/ ), and they claim significant improvements with just a filter change (http://www.greenfilterusa.com). Still not oilless, so probably a good idea to clean the MAF regularly going this route.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but aside from getting a different sound from the air box, this is not much of a performance mod. With the snorkel removed you are sucking in hot air from directly behind the radiator. If the sound is what you are after, use the airbox silencer delete plug from Steeda made for the 3.5 Fusion.