Long Trip, impressions...

unxpctd

Hey Gang!

I've posted in a few other threads that I was going on a long trip... but I wanted to give my impressions of my new 2013 Ford Edge Limited on its first extended drive.

I made it from my home in southern Minnesota, through the nasty Midwest weather and am sitting at my hotel in Pigeon Forge, TN. Tomorrow is a nice leisurely drive through the Smoky Mountains then onto NC for a couple days.

First off...I hope anyone caught in the Midwest storms is ok...just reading the news and they appear bad. I got through Chicago before yesterday evening and down into Indiana before the majority of them hit.

Day 1...980 miles

Edge was purchased on Sept. 23rd 2013. Left on Nov. 16th with 1350 miles on the clock.

Disclaimer: I LOVE this vehicle!!!

I had so much fun driving this Edge for a full day....I cannot believe how nice it drives.

Came off a fresh oil change on the 15th and left on the 16th.

Pros for longrange trips:

The vehicle has been rock solid. Quiet...that 2.0 Ecoboost is amazing. It kicks down when needed on hills and still doesn't go above 3K RPM's...very smooth shifting.

The sound system is outstanding...I love the Sony system...rocks Sirius XM and songs on my iPod Nano.

The 20" wheels are silky smooth on good roads....On bumpy ones I'll drop them to a 7/10 but still good overall.

The Navigation...and My Ford Touch...has been OUTSTANDING....I cannot believe how much I love this system. Its been flawless. No issues with cell calls or climate....all work awesomely!

I installed my Garmin Nuvi that I have in my work vehicle into the Edge just in case I had issues with the Ford Navigation. I was worried but so far the Ford Navigation has been outstanding and absolutely keeps the Garmin in check as they are head to head on mileage and directions. Just east of Louisville earlier today an alert came up on the Ford Navigation....that the Interstate was closed due to a crash. The Ford Navigation has popped up construction reports before and I just ignore them...so I figured they would have the crash cleared....so I pushed "ignore" on the Navigation. 10 minutes later...dead stop for 45 minutes....dead stop..3 lane interstate...for almost 1 hour. I could not believe it...the Ford Navigation was dead on....and I could have "avoided" it.. :( oh well..live and learn. I really love this system. I'm getting used to how to input information and its been receptive to my learning curve..so far.

I stopped at a rest stop in Indiana for about 6 hours and sacked out. Yes..I can sleep in the back of this Edge. Brought a blanket and a couple pillows....throw the seats down and throw my feet up toward the front and on the center console. Not the best sleep...much prefer a hotel :) but for long trips I don't want to be getting a hotel every single night...so this works out well. Few hours sleep and I'm ready to go again!

The cruise control is rock solid...stays dead on...I find myself bumping the +/- all the time to move up or down and it stays right with me.

The HID headlamps are great...almost don't need brights!

The view out the sides and windshield is great...sit higher than a regular car and have plenty of room for my legs being 6'6" and about 270lbs.

Few Cons:

Mileage....I've only been getting 23.5 to 24.0.....but its been raining or drizzling almost constantly over the 1000 miles. I was hoping for 25-26...but its not too bad considering all the bad weather and stop/start (Chicago for 1 hour) and that crash east of Louisville...stopped for 45+ minutes. I'll deal with it for the other positives.

The front seat. I'll give it a 7/10... my lower back hurts a bit after hours and hours in the seat but after finding the right lumbar support its better. I haven't driven this far in awhile so I'm sure it'll change.. Overall the seat is very good..just takes some getting used to. Kind of a pro and a con...very comfortable...but in long trips (which I'm getting used to again) it takes a bit.

The front end is light with the 20's...and the Ecoboost. With the heavy heavy rain you have to be careful...for hydroplaning in areas where it pools...most vehicles should be careful...but it seems to be imperative for the Edge. There were times in this 1000 miles the last day where I was 5-10 below the limit with full (high) wipers on and very limited visibility...its been a miserable day driving. Hoping it gets better.

I considered a Fusion and Escape....both would have been great vehicles...but I'm so glad I chose the Edge when I purchased it in Sept. I can't wait for more trips....and I'm only 40% done with this one!!!

Pictures to come tomorrow in the Smokies...if the rain clears!!!!

Thanks for reading my novel...enjoying my relaxing evening at the hotel!

Mark

Nice report. Don't fret too much about ignoring the travel alert. In that part of Kentucky any detour onto the country roads would have taken you longer than the time you spent sitting. I've driven the Louisville, Lexington, Knoxville to Gatlinburg route many times. You're in mountains. The miles of climbing steep grades are not going to give you good fuel economy numbers. Going up and over the Smokies into North Carolina also involves a lot of steep grades although at slower speeds so enjoy the scenery and forget about the fuel economy.

What an awesome day! The weather turned around and its been gorgeous!

I put on about 230 miles today going up into the Smokies. Came down then went over west to the Cherohala Skyway...what a beautiful drive! I had the Grade Assist on for about 60% of my drive today and still came out over 20mpg...actually got about 22...which for the mountains isn't too bad!

The Grade Assist worked perfectly. Really helped get up and down the mountains.

I'm at a Longhorn Steakhouse now...pics when I get back to the hotel. I got some good ones!

Mark

Great review and beautiful pictures...

It's really nice to read through your review and the fact that you are happy with your edge. I've been wanting to buy one but reading comments and reviews here in the forum, I am a little concerned :( but your review is definitely positive :)

Enjoy rest of your trip

Edited by RN0423

Hi, Looks and sounds like you are having a very nice trip. Glad you like your Edge. We also went on a road trip from northern In. To Cumberland mountains then Smokey mountains on Gatlinburg Tn. side, then across to Cherokee Nc. to Hendersonville Nc. to Opelicka Al. to Pensacola Fl. then back to Indiana. via the scenic route . ( mostly two lane roads ) As you can see in pic mileage was pretty good. 26.3 mpg for 2533.8 miles. I was hoping for better but is close to what it is rated at.

From home to Cumberland we drove interstate running 2/3 mph over posted speed with air conditioning on. Got 27.2 until we hit the mountains. The least was 24.2

2013 Edge SEL , 3.5 V6 FWD See forum , fuel mileage , pic of my dash with MPG.

Larry

Northern,In.

post-26092-0-74956800-1384868824_thumb.jpg

post-26092-0-25931000-1384869602_thumb.jpg

post-26092-0-70710000-1384869647_thumb.jpg

post-26092-0-60524800-1384869778_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Great review and pics! I love the mountains of TN. Rode the Cherohola pkwy, Cumberland Gap and the Dragon on my bike a few years back.....fun!

I just got back from my first "long" trip in my '13 Edge SE and was quite impressed myself. I did a 550 mile day trip through Arkansas and Oklahoma. Seats are great! Mileage was good (avg 26-28 mpg going ~ 73mph with some hills but mostly flat interstate, FWD, V-6), suspension was smoooooooth, steering was effortless, engine purrs quietly and is quite strong for a V6. :-) I love my Edge!

Made it home...about 2850 miles round trip. And yes..those pics are from the Smoky Mountains and the Cherohala Skyway.

Mileage came in under what I expected...around 23.9 overall..over all the miles of the trip...but with the bad weather going down and heavy winds on the way home not to mention all the use of the grade assist and mountain runs I'm

pretty satisfied...especially since it was so comfortable. Full review (with mileage pic) tomorrow!

• Like 1

Larry... 1Edge...I didn't want to forget you. Those are good pictures and I'm jealous of the mileage! :)

I got about 24.0 total over 2800 miles with alot of bad weather, wind and mountains. I have the 2.0L Ecoboost and in good conditions it does well.

My personal impression of the issues is the turbo...IE: Ecoboost. Anytime you get into the turbo the mileage goes down. If you stay OUT of the turbo...IE: straight roads, cruise control.... an Ecoboost will do better.

Do I regret getting the Ecoboost over the V6? No...

This isn't an Ecoboost vs. V6 issue... Anyone reading this..please know that the 2.0L will give you PLENTY of power when needed...and the mountain roads up and down are not an issue.

Its personal preference...my motor at now (4150 miles) is barely broken in..and I'm hoping for some higher mileage! :) The V6 gives you AWD and towing possibilities...I did not need those...at all.

I cannot say this enough....its not about the motor....Either way...V6 or Ecoboost you'll enjoy yourself. This has been the most enjoyable vehicle I've taken on long trips...ever.

Its all about enjoying our vehicles...the Ford Edge. More to come on this thread tomorrow...gotta upload my mileage photo or noone will believe me :)

No problem Jared! I got ahead of myself and was going to post a full review/update of the trip...but you jumped it..which is no issue!

On my way back from Pinehurst, NC to home I met Jared (thirdgenlxi) for lunch...in his work town of Morganton, NC. It was great! Thanks Jared! Very nice to meet you and I know

I'll be back in that area soon enough....and I'll look you up!