2013 Edge Factory Alarm

Hello. Just bought a 2013 Edge, and picked up the factory security module from the dealer. They gave me the wrong set of instructions... Hoping someone here can help me.

The module looks like it primarily plugs inline with the diagnostic connector. It has two plugs for that, one to hook into the car and one to replace the old socket. It looks like this is how it jacks into the CAN bus on the car.

That part is easy. However, closer to the module on the harness are two wires that are just hanging there. One white and one white with a red stripe. They go directly into the alarm module. Any ideas where these should hook in on the car? I'm thinking it might be a starter disable, but I'm not sure.

The part number is DT4Z-19A361-A. Part number on the electronic module itself is DL3J-19G367-AA.

Thanks!

post-28651-0-17082500-1385790404_thumb.jpg

post-28651-0-39747900-1385790417_thumb.jpg

Edited by joeyalex

I don't know the answer but I have a question about the part. I bought a used 2013 Edge which did not come with the factory alarm / anti-theft device.

I wanted to have one put in. I called two dealers so far and they don't seem to associate this part on the website with it being the factory alarm.

http://accessories.ford.com/electronic-module-10669.html

(I can't paste in the link.)

Anyway one of them is going to get back to me about it and installing it.

But it sounds like this IS the factory alarm part?!

The part isn't quite the same as the factory alarm system. I'm not sure if the factory has the additional module or not, but I do know there is one thing that is different between the add on versus the factory option...

When you open the driver's door with the Ford security system, it will wait 12 seconds before going off. (Idea is you can open with the key and then insert it into the ignition before it goes off)

On the factory installed system, the car will chime and I believe there is a message on the small LCD screen about the alarm.

With the "accessory" add-on, the 12 second delay is still there, but there is no chime or other indication that the alarm is waiting to go off. It just waits 12 seconds and then goes off if you don't disarm it. Otherwise, everything appears to be the same.

This is INCREDIBLY easy to install. The dealer wanted to charge me $120 to do it. It's a joke. Instructions are here: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/ford_content/catalog/accessory_files/2011_2014_Scalable_Kit_Truck_10_18_2013.pdf

This item has a T-harness included in the box that plugs into the diagnostic connector under the dash. Then, you replace the old diagnostic connector with the other end of the harness. After that, you mount the box under the dash and follow the activation procedure in the instructions. Close the doors, unlock them, and then cycle the key from off to on 8 times, ending in the "run" position. The unit will then "learn" itself to the car and you are good to go.

The remote start feature is more involved, and requires the dealer programming tool. However, just the security system itself can be installed without any special tools.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Also locking with the keypad (7/8+9/0 buttons) will arm it.

The door lock button inside, if used to lock the doors & then closing the door (driver and passenger sides) and the button on the outside door handles (driver and passenger sides) used for Intelligent keyless lock. Both way also arm the system.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi I bought a new ford edge late last year and have questions about the alarm. 3 weeks ago, my back rear window was smashed in and my laptop stolen from the car while it was parked. the alarm didn't go off cos no one noticed the break in. when I called our local ford office in Nigeria, they told me the car has a passive alarm system i.e. only the driver or person holding the car key can activate the alarm if they see some suspicious activity around the car! like seriously. Pls does anyone know if the car has an alarm system??

Some models did not come with a factory alarm. The panic button is not an alarm system.

You can test it by rolling down the front window with the doors closed, then using the remote to lock the doors from outside. Then reach in through the window and open the door without unlocking it. If you have an alarm that will trigger it.

franceseza, The factory alarm or the one I bought which is essentially the factory alarm has a shock sensor. So if someone smashes in a window the alarm should go off. But not all cars come with an alarm.

You would have to have Ford check your VIN to see if was built with one but sounds like it was not.

From looking at the 2013 owner's manual, pg 84, it is clear that a true anti-theft alarm is an option. The passive security system (not to be confused with an alarm system) works only with Ford anti-theft systems, according to the manual.

ANTI-THEFT ALARM (IF EQUIPPED)
The system will warn you of unauthorized entry to your vehicle.
The turn signal lamps will flash and sound the horn up to a total of 10 times when:
• any door, the hood or the luggage compartment is opened without using the keypad, the remote control or the intelligent access transmitter (if equipped)
• the ignition is turned on with an invalid key.
Take all keys and remote controls to an authorized dealer if there is any potential alarm problem with your vehicle.

franceseza, The factory alarm or the one I bought which is essentially the factory alarm has a shock sensor. So if someone smashes in a window the alarm should go off. But not all cars come with an alarm.

You would have to have Ford check your VIN to see if was built with one but sounds like it was not.

I've never heard of a Ford factory alarm coming with a shock sensor..... ?

The factory (called Perimeter Alarm by Ford) , if equipped, does NOT have a shock sensor. But the Ford Accessory security Alarm, that works with the factory Fobs, does have the shock sensor.

The factory alarm will only sound if a Door, the lift gate or the hood is opened without using the fob or keypad. It will Not detect glass breaking or protect against entry through a window if the door was not opened.

If anyone knows how to a shock or glass breakage sensor to the factory alarm, please tell us, would be very helpful.

Edited by omar302

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 2014 Edge SE. It has no alarm at all as far as I can tell. I locked the car and reached through the window and opened the door...nothing. I have an appointment to get the shock sensor put in tomorrow but without any kind of alarm what so ever, whats the point? I thought the car would have a door alarm at the very least. the dealer wants $300 to install the shock sensor and said you have to have an computer to activate it. I installed a shock sensor on my Subaru and the dealer did have to activate it. Is the shock sensor really plug and play or does it have to be activated and do I need another component of the Ford security system for this to work?

Edited by bikerboy

I just bought a 2014 Edge SE. It has no alarm at all as far as I can tell. I locked the car and reached through the window and opened the door...nothing. I have an appointment to get the shock sensor put in tomorrow but without any kind of alarm what so ever, whats the point? I thought the car would have a door alarm at the very least. the dealer wants $300 to install the shock sensor and said you have to have an computer to activate it. I installed a shock sensor on my Subaru and the dealer did have to activate it. Is the shock sensor really plug and play or does it have to be activated and do I need another component of the Ford security system for this to work?

Dealer is probably going to install this:

http://accessories.ford.com/electronic-module-10669.html

Omar, thats what I want installed but didnt know if anything else was required. Do you know if the dealer has to activate it? Thanks

$300 seems like a lot to install that part unless it includes the price of the part. When I ordered the part online, it also included a price and option to prepay for installation. Try going through the ordering process and see how much it wants for installation. In my area it was around $40 or $50. My understanding is that a computer/dealer is not required to activate it as the instructions tell you what steps you have to take to activate it. The shock sensor sensitivity is controlled by a dial on the module. The instructions tell you how to set that as well. You can also order a separate flashing LED for $15 which is installed in a visible area in the driver side front window frame (it has a very short cord).

http://accessories.ford.com/anti-theft-flasher-10668.html

Hi cyberdave, I read the instructions and they do seem simple enough, especially since i put one in my Subaru. The dealer I bought my car from last week lowered their price and is going to install it for $259 including the sensor. the sensor and installation will be covered under my factory warranty if the dealer installs it.

Shock sensor is installed. Joeyalex is right, is an easy install. I had the dealer do it and I watched the technician install and set up the alarm and LED in less than 30 minutes. I had the dealer do it so the alarm is covered under my 3yr/36000 mile warranty. IDS is not required to install shock sensor but is for remote start/remote access

Edited by bikerboy

• 3 years later...

For the people that have installed this aftermarket alarm, are you happy with it? If you try to lock the car with tailgate or door open will it warn you?

My dealer quoted me $550 for labor. Online quote was $20 which dealer won't honor. Trying another dealer who estimated $150. The price for living in California. Can't do it myself since not agile enough any more to work under the dash.

For the people that have installed this aftermarket alarm, are you happy with it? If you try to lock the car with tailgate or door open will it warn you?

My dealer quoted me $550 for labor. Online quote was $20 which dealer won't honor. Trying another dealer who estimated $150. The price for living in California. Can't do it myself since not agile enough any more to work under the dash.

When I follow your link, I only see spam.