Remote Start - Please Help!

So I ordered my wife's '08 Limited last week, but I'm truly disappointed that Remote Start does NOT come as a factory installed option. For all the additions that Ford made to the 2008's, I'm surprised that Remote Start was not one of them.

I am curious as to how the dealer-installed remote start functions and the advantages to getting this one over an aftermarket kit. I would like for it to perform the same functions as my '07 Tahoe's remote start does. It first recognizes the outside temperature, then if it's cold outside it turns on the heated seats and blasts hot air from the vents (regardless of the last setting when the vehicle was turned off). If it's hot outside, it blasts the A/C's freezing cold air (also regardless of last setting). Does the dealer-installed remote start function in this manner? If not, could someone please give me a brief summary of it's features.

Also, the dealer's cost is $230+labor, which seems a little steep to me. I have found the same kit for $193 on the following website...

http://www.partscheap.com/edge07.htm

I would probably still have the dealer install it for me, but this would save me almost $40. Is this system worth the price or is there others out there that have the same features for less money?

Please share your experiences and knowledge. Thanks!

So I ordered my wife's '08 Limited last week, but I'm truly disappointed that Remote Start does NOT come as a factory installed option. For all the additions that Ford made to the 2008's, I'm surprised that Remote Start was not one of them.

I am curious as to how the dealer-installed remote start functions and the advantages to getting this one over an aftermarket kit. I would like for it to perform the same functions as my '07 Tahoe's remote start does. It first recognizes the outside temperature, then if it's cold outside it turns on the heated seats and blasts hot air from the vents (regardless of the last setting when the vehicle was turned off). If it's hot outside, it blasts the A/C's freezing cold air (also regardless of last setting). Does the dealer-installed remote start function in this manner? If not, could someone please give me a brief summary of it's features.

Also, the dealer's cost is $230+labor, which seems a little steep to me. I have found the same kit for $193 on the following website...

http://www.partscheap.com/edge07.htm

I would probably still have the dealer install it for me, but this would save me almost $40. Is this system worth the price or is there others out there that have the same features for less money?

Please share your experiences and knowledge. Thanks!

I have the factory installed auto-start on my Edge but haven't used it because it isn't cold here yet. I don't know all the features it has but I don't think it has the features you mentioned. I've had after market auto-starts put on 5 on my cars now. All of them at one time or another have srewed something up. My Sable would start up all by itself. My Contour would try and start itself up (even though the engine was already running) in the car wash. My F-150 won't start at all when my wife drives it (she is doing something I never do because it always starts for me. I think she locks the doors before she starts it and that screws something up). My Neon would blink all the lights for about ten minutes. So I would never put an after market starter on my new car. I paid more for Ford to do it, but if it screws up I feel they will stand behind it. Those after market guys look at you like you're goofy.

Thanks for the advice from both of you. I will probably go with the Ford system, and it sounds like there's not much to it. Just a starter, that's it. So your heated seats don't turn off automatically when the car shuts off? They will be on again when you start it back up? That's kind of a bad design if you ask me. I can understand the HVAC system but not the heated seats.

NOT on the Lincoln, they HVAC is how it was, when restarted.

Yes I just did. Now the next time you like to make a mention about something not working properly or it's not like that in your vehicle, please check to see if it really is before you post.

Matter of fact: RUN, don't walk 007, out right now to your Edge and take a look at your seat belts and see where that loop is where you like to tuck the metal part in. You find it, walk slowly back in, grab a camera and take a picture of it, for the rest of us dumb ass's.

You know what, you tend to piss off everyone, everywhere you post, even those of us that use to accept you for your transgressions. WHY is that? How many account's you had banned here now? This one gonna make 3? How many pm's have I sent you just saying Cool it!?

Take a hike pal, your opinion's mean squat to me.

Edited by 07 MKX

Go aftermarket it will always have way more features and RANGE than any factory system at a fraction of the cost. I put a marksman M-12a on the wifes Edge. It is a full security system with remote start and 2 way communication. I have it hooked up to the memory features for both of us and also the driver heated seat. Also whatever is left on ac or heat will come on when remote started. As for people that complain that they have problems 99% of the time it is a bad install. Like those "FREE" installs remember nothing is free, pay for a good install and it will work for as long as you own the vehicle.

M12A.jpg

Markman M12A

Bypass Kit

The window modules go in this week along with the BAMR module to close the roof when armed and vent with the touch of a button on the remote.

Edited by securinu

I just got a 2008 limited and it came with a ford remote start. It is a nice feature, however you have to be pretty close to the vehicle for it to work. It will definetly work in your driveway. It is no way anything more than a remote start. If you are looking for something else, you have to go after market.

Good Luck, by the way I do like having this feature.

I just got a 2008 limited and it came with a ford remote start. It is a nice feature, however you have to be pretty close to the vehicle for it to work. It will definetly work in your driveway. It is no way anything more than a remote start. If you are looking for something else, you have to go after market.

Good Luck, by the way I do like having this feature.

That is a dealer installed option isn't it? They are not shipped from the assembly plant with one.

When I purchased my 07, I tried to get a true "factory remote start".

It did not exist.

I wanted the vehicle to come off the assembly line with it already installed and it was not possible.

My dealer offered an add on unit which sucked!

They really just sub out the work to a local alarm/stereo installer that installs the Ford add on unit.

I Installed a Hornet alarm with remote start. (same company as Viper)

The unit has an lcd display remote control which can do so many more things than I need, but the range is awsome.

I can be 2-3 blocks away, or inside a shopping mall, and I can start the vehicle with no problem.

The lcd display verifies the start cycle, gives you a digital count down on how much time is left in the cycle, you can check the interior temperature of the vehicle with the remote. You can also program automatic starting when the outside temperature falls below freezing, or a once a day schedule for a pre-set time.

This feature is great if you go on vacation for a couple of weeks and you don't have to come back to a dead battery in winter.

Find a qualified after-market installer with plenty of experience and you will be much happier with a high quality alarm system.

NYEdge, how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I don't really want an alarm system, just the remote start with some of the features you mention above. I would like to spend $200 or less including the labor for installation. Any other recommendations for nice aftermarket systems around this price range?

• 2 weeks later...
NYEdge, how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I don't really want an alarm system, just the remote start with some of the features you mention above. I would like to spend $200 or less including the labor for installation. Any other recommendations for nice aftermarket systems around this price range?

A typical after market remote start unit only will run about $300 installed.

An after market alarm with remote start runs about $420 installed.

BTW, the under the chin thing does work, but nothing like the range I have with my alarm. :reading:

• 4 weeks later...

I just had the Ford remote start added to my 2007 ford edge the only setting that it keeps that I can see so far is the temp setting. The heated seats do not come on when restarting. One question I have is does anyone know how to increase the time that it runs from 10 minutes to 15. The owners manual I got with it says this can be done. Also the Ford dealer that I had it done at did the work themselves and it was not sent out.

• 1 month later...

I just had the Ford factory Remote Start install in our 2007 Edge SEL+. My only compliant is that the antenna is mounted on the inside of the windshield near the head liner. Seems like it should be hidden or tucked in behind the rear view mirror. Does anyone else with a factory remote start have the same issue?

thanks,

--Joe

I had the remote starter installed by the dealer when I pickup up my Edge a couple of weeks ago. They also mounted the antenna in the same place. Actually, I've had several remote starters on other vehicles, and they were all mounted in the same spot. I think you get the best signal when its mounted there.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the info everyone.

I went with cheapo aftermarket remote start for my Accord. It works, but here's a few complaints. The remote start is only a one-way system. If I can see my car, I can tell that it started because the lights turn on. However, if I can not see my car, I have no idea whether it started or not. I really want to put a two-way system onto my Edge.

My other complaint with my cheapo remote start on the Accord is that the buttons on the key do not work when the car is started remotely. So I have to unluck the doors or open the trunk manually. I want to be able to do these things with a remote start.

My 2008 Edge Limited should arrive any day now. As I understand, the Ford remote start products are one-way systems only. As I mentioned before, I really want a two-way system.

So, Ford pulled out the accessory binder and offered me the following aftermarket models:

1) AstroStart 2205A - Cost is $469.50. However, I think they will need to add a transponder bypass for another $85 or so. This unit is a 5 button device. Sounds like it can also be used for door locks, power lift gate, and anything else you want it to do.

2) Audiovox 1 Button Confirming Remote Start (AUD93250) - Cost is $339 and will also require the $85 transponder bypass.

So here's my question.....

If I start my Edge remotely, will the buttons on the key work? If they do, I could go with the Audiovox option and save some coin, while still having all of the features that I want by using the key.

Edited by ando1brett

Thanks for all the info everyone.

I went with cheapo aftermarket remote start for my Accord. It works, but here's a few complaints. The remote start is only a one-way system. If I can see my car, I can tell that it started because the lights turn on. However, if I can not see my car, I have no idea whether it started or not. I really want to put a two-way system onto my Edge.

My other complaint with my cheapo remote start on the Accord is that the buttons on the key do not work when the car is started remotely. So I have to unluck the doors or open the trunk manually. I want to be able to do these things with a remote start.

My 2008 Edge Limited should arrive any day now. As I understand, the Ford remote start products are one-way systems only. As I mentioned before, I really want a two-way system.

So, Ford pulled out the accessory binder and offered me the following aftermarket models:

1) AstroStart 2205A - Cost is $469.50. However, I think they will need to add a transponder bypass for another $85 or so. This unit is a 5 button device. Sounds like it can also be used for door locks, power lift gate, and anything else you want it to do.

2) Audiovox 1 Button Confirming Remote Start (AUD93250) - Cost is $339 and will also require the $85 transponder bypass.

So here's my question.....

If I start my Edge remotely, will the buttons on the key work? If they do, I could go with the Audiovox option and save some coin, while still having all of the features that I want by using the key.

i have the ford remote start and you can open the doors and power lift gate with the remote after the car is started remotely. once you start the car the doors lock and you have to unlock them before entering the car and i do it wih the remote. I think is was $249 installed back in Dec. As far as knowing if the car is started it sounds like the same thing, you can only tell if you can see it and the lights are on.

I just had the Ford factory Remote Start install in our 2007 Edge SEL+. My only compliant is that the antenna is mounted on the inside of the windshield near the head liner. Seems like it should be hidden or tucked in behind the rear view mirror. Does anyone else with a factory remote start have the same issue?

thanks,

--Joe

Joe

I had the remote start put in using my existing key fobs. Found out the range was not all that good so the dealer replaced it with 2 additional key fobs just for the remote. At first the antenna was hidden under the head liner but the range was restricted. In the end the remote starter antenna is now on the windshield just below the headliner in plain site. I found a noticeable difference in reception range. :doh:

Ford's remote starter is made by Code Alarm. The specs say it works up to 500ft away. The distance does depend on where the antenna is placed.

They also offer a remote start with full alarm functionality, but nothing with 2 way communication.