FORD WILL NO LONGER SUPPORT ZUNE MP3 PLAYERS

Fellow Zune owners, it seems Ford is throwing in the towel. I was informed today that the problems I am having with my Zune players not being able to sync correctly to the car will not be corrected. It seems with all their great technology they cannot get a simple MP3 player to sync with their MyFord Touch system. Just one more slap in the face from Ford, they can't fix it so they stop supporting it. Just a quick note; my Zune players will sync correctly to my 2012 SS Camaro, 2012 Chrysler 200 convertible, 2014 Honda Goldwing motorcycle, and even the Kia I rented last week would sync with my Zune. I don't ever want to hear about Ford's technology again because if they can't technologically keep up with a Kia I would not be bragging about it if I was them. Anyone looking for a good deal on a 2013 Ford edge would less than 20,000 miles that does not work as advertised?

Zune was discontinued by its manufacturer (Microsoft) a couple of years ago and most certainly not because it was a HUGE success. You are expecting Ford to support something that too few of their customers use. Indeed too few people in the world use when comparing device market share.

I don't think you are going to hear the support you want from this forum. You just have to realize you backed the wrong horse.

I have been in the same situation a few times now and it sucks but you have to move on at some point.

Personally I use an android device and was FURIOUS when they removed the ability to mount the thing as a USB drive in the JellyBean OS update. I went back then adapted and now just use bluetooth music streaming since the phone was already connected that way anyway.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Your absolutely 100% right I backed the wrong horse but the horse was not Microsoft it was Ford. When I bought the vehicle Ford said they supported it, in fact today all of their literature also says that they support it. Ford's technology is flawed thus the reasoning for not supporting the Zune. It is the same reason menus on the navigation system disappeared from the quick nav, and that reason is because they cannot make the menu's work correctly, so Ford said they were not needed.

As far as I'm concerned this is nothing more than a case of bait and switch sell a customer one thing and then because you can't support it tell him it's old technology.

Edited by ccutaia1

Wow don't beat yourself up over a zune. There are much much better media players that play nice with MFT other then the Zune. Geez, Springtime I'm going to make a faceplate mount to drop a new Google Nexus in front of the dash LCD so it can connect through BT and stream music, movies, as well as being able to be fully usable for all its functions! Drop the Zune in the donation bin at goodwill and buy yourself something nice for Christmas that works with MFT, there are PLENTY! And Smile! You've got a great looking, nice riding, SUV!

First of all it is not a $200 MP3 player and it can't be replaced by $10 thumb drive just for your information. What we are talking about here is principal and not allowing themselves to be taken advantage of by a big company like Ford. They can do whatever they want, and show little regard for commandments made to their customers at time of sale. If more people stood their ground and did allow things like this take place our country would not be in the mess it's in right now. So tell me now who's foolish, someone who stands up for what is right, or someone the likes of throw around little phrases about something they know nothing about?

Edited by ccutaia1

First of all it is not a $200 MP3 player and it can't be replaced by $10 thumb drive just for your information. What we are talking about here is principal and not allowing themselves to be taken advantage of by a big company like Ford. They can do whatever they want, and show little regard for commandments made to their customers at time of sale. If more people stood their ground and did allow things like this take place our country would not be in the mess it's in right now. So tell me now who's foolish, someone who stands up for what is right, or someone the likes of throw around little phrases about something they know nothing about?

Ok, so it's a $400 mp3 player that can be replaced by a $40 64GB usb flash drive as far as sync is concerned.

Nothing is ever guaranteed as far as future support for obsolete hardware, especially one that has so little market share.

It's ok to be disappointed but there are plenty of options that are orders of magnitude cheaper than getting rid of the vehicle.

There is no 'ground' to stand on or principle (not principal) at stake here. There is some compatibility issue with the new software that apparently only affects Zune and Ford isn't going to spend any resources to fix it. Better get used to that because nobody else is going to continue to support it going forward either - probably including Windows.

What are you going to do if you buy a new vehicle and get a software update and that car no longer supports Zune? Get a USB drive or 2 for the car or get a new mp3 player. Or get rid of the Edge and throw more money down the drain. Your choice.

• Like 1

Somewhere in all the fine print of the sales agreement and/or the warranty are statements that indicate that certain features that may be supported today may not be supported in the future. If you look at almost any piece of technology you will find this same type of language in the end user agreements, licensing agreements, etc. Its a fact of life when dealing with technology that at some point the technology you use will become obsolete, whether its by the manufacturer replacing it with something completely different or ending production because they have no market share or penetration. I have entire shelves filled with obsolete electronic equipment. Anyone remember "mini disc"? Have several of those players. Betamax tapes are another good example.

• Like 1

You've got it all backwards. The constant demand for perfection from customers is what leads companies to shy away from introducing innovative technology. If customers expect perfection in everything, companies can't take risks. Without risks, there is no innovation. Without innovation, we find the country in the mess it's in right now. Both the Zune and MFT are innovative, risky products created by American companies. You should be praising the attempt, rather then attacking the minor flaws.

• Like 1

Truthfully, it's one thing to stand your ground when you actually have a leg to stand on. Bluntly, that's like asking Microsoft to restart Zune production. You are blaming Ford for a decision made by Microsoft ages ago. I see this all the time in my field and I point out the obvious fact that things change with technology so rapidly that it's virtually impossible to keep up with it 100%.

Ok, so it's a $400 mp3 player that can be replaced by a $40 64GB usb flash drive as far as sync is concerned.

Nothing is ever guaranteed as far as future support for obsolete hardware, especially one that has so little market share.

It's ok to be disappointed but there are plenty of options that are orders of magnitude cheaper than getting rid of the vehicle.

There is no 'ground' to stand on or principle (not principal) at stake here. There is some compatibility issue with the new software that apparently only affects Zune and Ford isn't going to spend any resources to fix it. Better get used to that because nobody else is going to continue to support it going forward either - probably including Windows.

What are you going to do if you buy a new vehicle and get a software update and that car no longer supports Zune? Get a USB drive or 2 for the car or get a new mp3 player. Or get rid of the Edge and throw more money down the drain. Your choice.

,,,,or use your smartphone for Bluetooth Audio.