PTU Replacement and now Transmission

adoble

Back in October I had the PTU on my 2011 Ford Edge Sport replaced and just last week I heard a really bad metallic sound coming from my transmission area. Took the car in today and it needs a whole new transmission!!! There is only 45,000 miles on the car. I'm pretty upset although these repairs are covered under warranty.

Does this sound excessive, I see plenty of PTU and transmission issues but this is the drivetrain forum...

I really love this car but after all the MFT issues and now this I am rethinking another Ford purchase.

Back in October I had the PTU on my 2011 Ford Edge Sport replaced and just last week I heard a really bad metallic sound coming from my transmission area. Took the car in today and it needs a whole new transmission!!! There is only 45,000 miles on the car. I'm pretty upset although these repairs are covered under warranty.

Does this sound excessive, I see plenty of PTU and transmission issues but this is the drivetrain forum...

I really love this car but after all the MFT issues and now this I am rethinking another Ford purchase.

Hey adoble,

I'll help with the transmission issues. :) Please send me a PM (private message) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, and preferred servicing dealership.

Todd

Tranny issues aren't that uncommon. Buddy I worked with had older gen that had the dreaded tranny clunk on occassion...dealer could never reproduce issue so it never got addressed. Then somewhere between 70-80k tranny crapped out...dealer and Ford wouldn't even work with him on cost even though he had service records showing problem. He did some research and found a bunch of people with similar failures/stories. I had slight clunking a while back and got the dealer to perform TSB which seemed to help for a while but now it is starting to happen again along with an occasional sensation of slipping...doesn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling. Especially worrying that I can't reproduce it on call so I know the dealers will do nothing.

Have read so many variations of causes and solutions of 'what might be', please somebody summarize for me what my problem is (except the fact that I purchased a 2007 Ford Edge 4 1/2 months ago). Started experiencing some slipping, then in a matter of 3 days wouldn't come out of neutral. Took it to mechanic and had to replace transmission. Vehicle has 65000 miles or so. Noticed fluid in driveway also. About a month felt some slipping and found fresh pink or red fluid in driveway, it was also making a sound I thought sounded like the brakes. Took it back to mechanic and he found nothing wrong, said the fluid in driveway was just probably overflow from what they put in. Weeks later while driving maybe 20-25 mph in traffic it would not change gears. Took right back to mechanic which I happened to be driving past and he drove it a couple of blocks and of course it was fine. He said I must have been accelerating too hard and it was slipping on ice, but there was no ice, only wet pavement. I also was in traffic and could go no faster than approx 25 mph. Now today it kept 'jerking' and found fresh pink/red fluid in driveway. I think this mechanic is in over his head with replacing the trans, now what do I do? Read so much about the 2007 Ford Edge having problems that sound like this. This mechanic is not at a dealership so I am wondering about him using or not using OEM parts but overseas crap. HELP . . . . . . . . anybody?

Maria, it is very possible that the transmission has suffered internal damage, likely from a continuing leak from the axle seal. I don't know if anyone has attempted to crack open and repair the transmission. Was the sound you heard a grinding or screeching sound?

Checking the dipstick would tell you if fluid is low, but that requires a warmup of a "normal" 20 mile drive. If you can drain the trans fluid, or have it drained, check it carefully for signs of burnt fluid and/or suspended metal particles. IF there are no metal particles, you may have a chance to save the transmission by a) replacing the leaky seal, and B) completely replacing (not flushing) the fluid. About 5 quarts comes out at a time from the drain plug. So you would repeat the drain & fill (with fresh Mercon V fluid) three times, running the engine (while parked) for a few minutes in between. This gives you a relatively easy way to get a near complete fluid replacement.

And, you should change mechanics ASAP. Find someone good by word-of-mouth, or look up a reputable service garage/Ford dealership on the internet (yelp, repairpal, etc).

• 6 years later...
On 2/13/2014 at 6:03 PM, Maria Marinelli Rose said:

Have read so many variations of causes and solutions of 'what might be', please somebody summarize for me what my problem is (except the fact that I purchased a 2007 Ford Edge 4 1/2 months ago). Started experiencing some slipping, then in a matter of 3 days wouldn't come out of neutral. Took it to mechanic and had to replace transmission. Vehicle has 65000 miles or so. Noticed fluid in driveway also. About a month felt some slipping and found fresh pink or red fluid in driveway, it was also making a sound I thought sounded like the brakes. Took it back to mechanic and he found nothing wrong, said the fluid in driveway was just probably overflow from what they put in. Weeks later while driving maybe 20-25 mph in traffic it would not change gears. Took right back to mechanic which I happened to be driving past and he drove it a couple of blocks and of course it was fine. He said I must have been accelerating too hard and it was slipping on ice, but there was no ice, only wet pavement. I also was in traffic and could go no faster than approx 25 mph. Now today it kept 'jerking' and found fresh pink/red fluid in driveway. I think this mechanic is in over his head with replacing the trans, now what do I do? Read so much about the 2007 Ford Edge having problems that sound like this. This mechanic is not at a dealership so I am wondering about him using or not using OEM parts but overseas crap. HELP . . . . . . . . anybody?