Ford Edge Mechanical problems.

madrn

I bought my 2007 Ford Edge FWD the end if August. I was satisfied wiuth the vehicle performance until last night 10/24/07. I was driving home with my mom to my home about 5 miles. At least 5 times during that trip home , my wheels locked and the vehicle stopped in the middle of the road and did not respond to acceleration. the brakes locked so abruptly my mother thought something dropped fron the vehicle. We called ford and a tow truck was sent to my home, they towed my vehicle to the repair shop. We are still awaiting diagnostic reason for the wheels/brakes locking up. I thank the Lord this did not happen on the freeway as I drive at least one hour to the city daily to work. No one rear ended me last night because it was an isolated road, however if this happened on the freeway with cares traveling 65-70 miles an hour and more, I cringe to think of the results of the vehilces wheels suddenly locking. I would like to know if anyone else out there with a Ford Edge has experieced similar problems, and to all others out there BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!

Wow! O_O

That's scary dude!

I'm an Interstate guy.

A sudden lockup in 65+ MPH traffic could have extremely severe repercussions.

Please let us know what the verdict on the problem turns out to be.

No shit. Damn...I was doing 95 this weekend at times.

Would not have been pretty.

Surely would be an accident. Other cars around could have been involved.

Not the mention having hexagonal-shaped tires when you finally stop.

I bought my 2007 Ford Edge FWD the end if August. I was satisfied wiuth the vehicle performance until last night 10/24/07. I was driving home with my mom to my home about 5 miles. At least 5 times during that trip home , my wheels locked and the vehicle stopped in the middle of the road and did not respond to acceleration. the brakes locked so abruptly my mother thought something dropped fron the vehicle. We called ford and a tow truck was sent to my home, they towed my vehicle to the repair shop. We are still awaiting diagnostic reason for the wheels/brakes locking up. I thank the Lord this did not happen on the freeway as I drive at least one hour to the city daily to work. No one rear ended me last night because it was an isolated road, however if this happened on the freeway with cares traveling 65-70 miles an hour and more, I cringe to think of the results of the vehilces wheels suddenly locking. I would like to know if anyone else out there with a Ford Edge has experieced similar problems, and to all others out there BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!

wow...this is horrible....

everyone be careful!!!!

please, keep us informed...

GoodHands...

Please be careful where You drive....i know You drive on BUSY roads a lot...

it is dangerous everywhere, but especially road where one can go that fast..

i live in a small city, don't go real fast here...

Edited by npggirl

wow...this is horrible....

everyone be careful!!!!

please, keep us informed...

GoodHands...

Please be careful where You drive....i know You drive on BUSY roads a lot...

it is dangerous everywhere, but especially road where one can go that fast..

i live in a small city, don't go real fast here...

Thank you. I am really very careful. Yeah..sometimes I harken back to the days of wild, when the mood hits me.

I actually had a pretty scary experience in 1999. Interstate 40 heading to Knoxville to visit some friends. Cruising in line with

a cream porsche and a little red corvette. Porsche was trying to pass a truck and just gave a small kiss - small tap - to the

truck and lost it. Probaby spun half a dozen times and ended up rolling in the median.

Driver wasn't hurt but it shook us all up. I was a careful driver back then but seeing that just made me become much more

aware and attentive.

Just a sign o' the times I guess. More traffic, more chances for accidents.

Things change, new friends, new job, more responsibilities, etc. Makes you look at things differently.

After all, when you have met the most beautiful girl in the world, you think about wanting to make sure you are around for a long, long time with her.

Sounds like something in the transmission failed and locked up the drive wheels.

Yeeech! Even worse than what I was picturing!

That would be a front wheels only lockup in the case of us FWD owners!

I was imagining an ABS issue locking down all four corners.

Either way a full-on lockup at highway speeds would result in an uncontrollable situation... and the way people drive around here would probably also mean a major real-world test of the safety features I'm so proud of.

I'd much rather see such a test on TV than in person.

I think it's safe to say we all want to know what caused this. asap.

Yeeech! Even worse than what I was picturing!

That would be a front wheels only lockup in the case of us FWD owners!

I was imagining an ABS issue locking down all four corners.

Either way a full-on lockup at highway speeds would result in an uncontrollable situation... and the way people drive around here would probably also mean a major real-world test of the safety features I'm so proud of.

I'd much rather see such a test on TV than in person.

I think it's safe to say we all want to know what caused this. asap.

I, for one, think we should all park our Edge until this problem is resolved. :)

And for those of you who are too scared to drive yours, please let me know your address and I'll ride my bike over to take that awful lemon off your hands....:)

I, for one, think we should all park our Edge until this problem is resolved. :)

And for those of you who are too scared to drive yours, please let me know your address and I'll ride my bike over to take that awful lemon off your hands....:)

Funny in a "Ha-Ha" kind of way.

So, if this is a serious problem, folks who have had this ought to post here. Doesn't much matter to me if Ford acknowledges it or not (though they ought to if it is an issue), I just don't want to be riding around with my newborn in a car with issues...I'd rather find and fix 'em.

Since over 100,000 have been sold and only 1500 people have logged on here, and of those only 1 report. I'd assume that is a failure rated of what? .067%

"At least 5 times during that trip home , my wheels locked and the vehicle stopped in the middle of the road and did not respond to acceleration. the brakes locked so abruptly my mother thought something dropped fron the vehicle."

Abruptly stopped with smoking tires?

Abruptly, didn't cause someone to get thrown towards the dash?

Pushing on the gas pedal didn't increase the RPM's?

Not enough info to make any type of determination as to the real problem. You just have to wait to see if the original poster does a follow up. Too many people won't followup when the real problem becomes known. (fly6-HID lights)

"At least 5 times during that trip home , my wheels locked and the vehicle stopped in the middle of the road and did not respond to acceleration. the brakes locked so abruptly my mother thought something dropped fron the vehicle. We called ford and a tow truck was sent to my home, they towed my vehicle to the repair shop. "

:reading: ...So ...THEN... you did get home..."locked up in the middle of road"....I guess... don't mean... locked up in the middle of the road .... LIKE ....I'd have expected to see the tow truck winching this squeeling tire vehicle unto the bed of a tilt-bed truck and taking it away....Hmmm....Don't sound like a tranny problem....Hope this person responds with the results of the diagnostics..............................Sr..

Funny in a "Ha-Ha" kind of way.

So, if this is a serious problem, folks who have had this ought to post here. Doesn't much matter to me if Ford acknowledges it or not (though they ought to if it is an issue), I just don't want to be riding around with my newborn in a car with issues...I'd rather find and fix 'em.

Whoops...didn't mean to trip a wire with my attempt at humor.

We DO appreciate your post describing your problem. And...we'd love to know what the service department has to say about it.

Whoops...didn't mean to trip a wire with my attempt at humor.

We DO appreciate your post describing your problem. And...we'd love to know what the service department has to say about it.

And maybe, just maybe - the new father + Manhattanite in me bit your head off ;-)

Good to know, though. thanks.

G

Wow! O_O

That's scary dude!

I'm an Interstate guy.

A sudden lockup in 65+ MPH traffic could have extremely severe repercussions.

Please let us know what the verdict on the problem turns out to be.

Repair was made on the brake switch assembly. I guess it was one of those computer chip problems the service man informed me it was sending a message for my vehicle to apply the brakes. It was very frightening and I hope this does not turn out to be a recall problem for Ford.

Repair was made on the brake switch assembly. I guess it was one of those computer chip problems the service man informed me it was sending a message for my vehicle to apply the brakes. It was very frightening and I hope this does not turn out to be a recall problem for Ford.

Thanks for the update!

I too hope it was a fluke and we hear of no more issues of this nature.

Phew!

Wow, that's crazy. I'm glad it worked out.

I had an ABS failure on my Chev van twice. It was the same problem they thought they fixed but it happened again and almost cost me dearly.

The second time I was leaving the freeway coming up to the stop light at the end of the ramp. It was a sunny, clear day. Well I put on my brakes and they started to pulse immediately and the van would not stop. I took the corner, through a red light at a good clip. I stopped it and told them fix this time or else. This was a very busy intersection I blew through. I now brake further out so if something like that happens again I can try the e brake..

• 3 years later...

Sounds like something in the transmission failed and locked up the drive wheels.

It would help if the transmission and brakes had anything in common. They are 2 separate systems the only thing that would control that is the traction control system and traction control only engages when one tire is spinning faster than the other the brakes engage to slow that wheel down so you dont lose control of your vehicle and regain traction. That would not cause all 4 brakes engage at once to stop a vehicle for no reason unless the traction control system failed or the wheel speed senors where not operating properly which is a bloody rare thing.

It would help if the transmission and brakes had anything in common. They are 2 separate systems the only thing that would control that is the traction control system and traction control only engages when one tire is spinning faster than the other the brakes engage to slow that wheel down so you dont lose control of your vehicle and regain traction. That would not cause all 4 brakes engage at once to stop a vehicle for no reason unless the traction control system failed or the wheel speed senors where not operating properly which is a bloody rare thing.

First, that post was almost 4 years old.

Second, if the transmission locks up it will stop the drive wheels and it has nothing whatsoever to do with brakes. If you don't believe that, put the vehicle in park and try to push it.