What to expect at 200,000+ miles

macbwt

On 12/7/2020 at 9:04 PM, enigma-2 said:

What do you attribute the long life on the water pump on? Coolant and oil changes? What intervals?

I change coolant every 30K miles with peak (long life now called 10x)   I use synthetic oil and change according to my driving situation which is mostly highway.  10-12K miles interval generally or until I am nearing a quart low which ever comes first.  I use ANY synthetic oil and have been known to create mixes of multiple brands and viscosity.

• Like 1

As LU nears 320,000 miles I have had to charge the dead 5yrs old battery that I drained due to leaving the Dash Cam plugged in for 1 week and not driving LU.   I am also changing the oil early (8K miles) as LU is down 1 qt.   Viscosity must of burned off as it was a mix of oils and I think a few of the cheap quarts burned off.   Going with Shell Rotella gas truck 5W30 because that is what I have on the shelf.  Either way LU is still motoring on without any other maintenance.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Well it finally happened.  Lulubelle's water pump failed at just about 330,000 miles.  We have completely rebuilt the entire front end of the 3.5 Duratec with all new Motorcraft parts.   She is now back on the road and running great.   The aim is now at least 500,000 miles on this Duratec if not more.

IMG_20210822_122035595.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

How many more of us original owners/original family owners exist here? I haven't logged in here in years. My 07 SEL+ AWD (purchased new by dad in 07) sat for quite a few years with minimal driving/occasional idling. I have started driving it more (specifically in the winter). It has ~165,000 miles and decent undercarriage rust. Original PTU, water pump, etc. This thing has been driven like a NASCAR since 2007. High speed highway runs and lots of plowing through deep snow / powersliding. Just replaced LR wheel speed sensor, checked/added fresh PTU fluid, replaced flex pipe. Now getting a very definitive BANGING sound at 10-30 mph. I feel it through the center console/floor. Hoping it's just a trans mount and not a PTU issue or carrier bearing. 

FordEdge.jfif

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, macbwt said:

The water pump was changed out at 330,000 miles and the entire front end of the engine was rebuilt.

Well that certainly proves that the 3.5 water pump fails at a premature rate. My MKX has a little over 130,000 miles, I'd better start considering a preventive maintenance change out.

LOL

330,000 miles. Incredible. 

• 4 months later...
On 3/10/2023 at 12:11 AM, enigma-2 said:

Well that certainly proves that the 3.5 water pump fails at a premature rate. My MKX has a little over 130,000 miles, I'd better start considering a preventive maintenance change out.

LOL

330,000 miles. Incredible. 

In the same boat with around 140K on my 2011.  Gonna roll the dice instead of fixing something that might last over 300,000 miles.  If Mac can do it so can we:):)

• 4 months later...

Follow up.  Lulubelle is approaching 400,000 miles on the original engine with the front end rebuild and still rocking the solid and very reliable 6F50 transmission originally mated to the engine.  This 6F50 transmission has suffered no failures at all.  Keep in mind it had continuously receive 30K transmission fluid 3X drain and fills.   I am personally on my 3rd Ford Edge passing 200,000 miles and have accumulated over 1,000,000 miles on Ford Edges with not one single water pump or transmission failure on any Ford Edge I have ever owned.