Rear Cargo Area Cover

Hi, just ordered a 2014 Edge. Looking forward to getting it. I have a question regarding the rear cargo area. Is there a retrackable cover(shade) to hide items? Does anyone have the Ford accessory one? Opinions thought, and alternatives? Aftermarket ones?

Thank you

Edgesome2

I had it included in the purchase of my Edge. Installed it one time, and took it out! Cheap material, you have to remove it if you want to fold the seats down, it uses plastic clips to hook into the plastic side panels by the windows. I was very disappointed in it (especially after having used the "shade" type that our other car had.)

The Ford one is sitting in the garage in the box it came in, I'll sell it cheap, because that's what it is.

Just my opinion

• 1 month later...

Well I definately needed a cargo cover as I will have things back there of value that I don't want visible. Even if it's dark enough that they can't tell whats there, it's easy to see something is, even if I cover it with a blanket. My Ford dealer didn't have any in stock so I had them order me one. It took about 30 minutes to install and I really like it. I'll touch on that more later.

Here is my $.02 on the soft vs hard vs retractable. I've had cars with all three over the years.

- retractable: handy to open and close but was a pain when I needed to put the seats down as it now was in the way. If I put the seats down and removed it to fit big items in, the bar was too long to lay across the back of the trunk area, which meant it had to lay frontwards to backwards, which meant it would slide back and forth hitting the backs of the front seats and possibly a projectile if I was in an accident. It was best to just remove out from the vehicle when not in use, but then you have to put is somewhere.

- hard: when not in use, again like the bar on the retractable it's bulky and takes up space, and doesn't fit in the trunk area unless in it's functional position, so again best to remove from the vehicle when not is use.

- soft: I like this one the best by far. Yes it's overpriced from the Ford dealer but I have no regrets. First soft vs hard does not really matter to me, it's purpose is to cover the back area and it does that completely. I like that it's soft because I layed down a towel over my spare tire in the trunk and then folded up this cover and put it on top of the towel. So basically it stores easilly on top of the spare, so it's always there if I need it. It takes up virtually no space and is very lightweight.

I have read a few different things about these Ford covers and wonder if they changed the design a little over the years. In any case mine has two velcro straps that go around the rear seat headrest bars, and then two snaps into the tops of the rear trunk area side panels, and two rubber cords that wrap around the hooks just beside the liftgate. Installation was quite simple. the kit comes with two paper templates (one for each side) that you simply cut out and lightly tape the the tops of the side panels just below the rear side windows. On that template are two "X" that you mark and drill a hole. It's a bit of a tight area to get in there with a full size drill, but fortunately I have 90 degree air drill for this. It's just plastic so drilling takes only a couple seconds. Once the holes are drilled you just screw down the lower snap button and you done. The cover has the upper snap button already in it.

The only real drawback I see is that you could not use with the seats down as it hooks to the headrests in the tops of the seats. But I guess if the seats are down you could see in there anyway, so I'm not sure that really matters.

The weather is real crappy right now, but one of these days I will post a pic or two of mine installed so you can see it.

Here is a couple pics of my Ford Cargo Cover from the parts department. IMHO it should come with every Edge from the factory, but in any case it's part number DT4Z-7845440-AA. It was easy to install and I am very happy with it. Takes up virtually no room when storing folded up on top of my spare tire. Another thing I noticed is that it doesn't seem to affect the sound coming from the rear sub when the cover is installed.

post-30076-0-71399300-1398553428_thumb.jpg

post-30076-0-38446700-1398553441_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Here is a couple pics of my Ford Cargo Cover from the parts department. IMHO it should come with every Edge from the factory, but in any case it's part number DT4Z-7845440-AA. It was easy to install and I am very happy with it. Takes up virtually no room when storing folded up on top of my spare tire. Another thing I noticed is that it doesn't seem to affect the sound coming from the rear sub when the cover is installed.[/

That's the version I just got. Do the bolts feel like they'll stay in with frequent use?

I think the screws should hold well for a long time if it's installed correctly. The reason I think this is the cover material is fairly lightweight so it should not really put any stress on the snaps. Also you should not be putting anything on top of this cover, so again there should be no additional weight for it to support. Last is the snaps are not really tight fitting, meaning they pull apart or unsnap fairly easy.

Tips I would suggest to be sure the screws hold tight are to use the correct drill bit that is mentioned in the instructions so the holes are no bigger than it needs to be. Don't go crazy with a highspeed drill so as to not heat up the plastic and make the hole bigger than it needs to be. In fact you could even use a pin vice or hand held drill bit tool if you like as the drill bit cuts through the plastic fairly easy. Last is don't overtighten the screws, just snug it up and stop.

If you follow the instructions and tape down the template the holes will be in the correct positions (as I found out).

Good luck.

Edited by Uncoiler

I think the screws should hold well for a long time if it's installed correctly. The reason I think this is the cover material is fairly lightweight so it should not really put any stress on the snaps. Also you should not be putting anything on top of this cover, so again there should be no additional weight for it to support. Last is the snaps are not really tight fitting, meaning they pull apart or unsnap fairly easy.

Tips I would suggest to be sure the screws hold tight are to use the correct drill bit that is mentioned in the instructions so the holes are no bigger than it needs to be. Don't go crazy with a highspeed drill so as to not heat up the plastic and make the hole bigger than it needs to be. In fact you could even use a pin vice or hand held drill bit tool if you like as the drill bit cuts through the plastic fairly easy. Last is don't overtighten the screws, just snug it up and stop.

If you follow the instructions and tape down the template the holes will be in the correct positions (as I found out).

Good luck.

I installed the snap screws. Two weren't properly formed, but pushing the phillips head into the plastic took care of that. I used the small drill bit and an angled electric screw driver to drill the holes as precisely and slowly as possible. I carefully taped the templates as well before drilling. It was tough to get to the screws towards the hatch. Not much room there. But none of the screws snugged up enough to stop. I used a small hand screwdriver. I don't know how often I'll be taking it out, but if I did unsnap the buttons a lot, I don't have much confidence it would last. Needs nuts on the other side. I'm also disappointed that there is no velcro for the middle headrest as it droops a bit there and the right side seems to droop a little. No matter how you look at it, it's not nearly as clean as the install in my wife's 2013 escape (or our old 2001 or 2007 or the Mitsu Endeavor I traded in on this). And there's no way this should cost about the same as the one for the Escape.

post-31004-0-85962800-1403465376_thumb.jpg

post-31004-0-54829000-1403465408_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...