Quality(or lack thereof) and Customer Service Impressions

misterfixit

I have experienced quality issues on the front driver side door and weatherstrip. The weatherstrip and door were designed to go together in a groove without adhesive. The door on my vehicle is out of spec and the groove does not have enough metal to hold the weatherstrip in place. So the dealer decides to glue it in. Ford customer service states that it was repaired to their "guide lines". They will not show me these guide lines. What is next?

So the CSM states that the adhesive is acceptable. Maybe it is approved and acceptable for weather stripping that requires adhesive but I'm still not convinced it is appropriate for weather stripping that is designed to be pressed into place. The door on my Edge is out of the spec tolerances. I'm convinced that Ford customer service is just trying to give me the brush off.

So the CSM states that the adhesive is acceptable. Maybe it is approved and acceptable for weather stripping that requires adhesive but I'm still not convinced it is appropriate for weather stripping that is designed to be pressed into place. The door on my Edge is out of the spec tolerances. I'm convinced that Ford customer service is just trying to give me the brush off.

I still haven't seen these so called "guidelines".

Hello misterfixit,

As we've discussed, your vehicle has been repaired per Ford's official repair guidelines and a good will offer has been made. If you have further concerns, I advise you to continue working with your dealer moving forward. In addition, you may seek the opinion of a second dealer.

Todd

Sadly I've had my own problems with our Fords. We purchased 2 new vehicles when they weren't exactly flying out of showrooms (Winter 2010, spring 2011). An overloaded 2011 Edge Sport, and a Custom ordered 2011 Ford Explorer. The Explorer began leaking so bady after only one year that the interior carpets began to develop mold. The dealer had taken the vehicle in a staggering 12 times and had it for over 143 total days! it was finally Lemon Lawed with a huge hit for usage during the time it didn't leak. At the same time, Ive had an ongoing problem with my 22" wheels on my Sport losing pressure regularly. Ive reported the problem so many times and left the vehicle at the dealer so much it also qualifies for New Jerseys Lemon law, except that i really Like my Sport. I was given an extended warranty for all my trouble, but the dealer simply refuses to do what the TSB clearly states to fix the problem (Replace the rims) They've sanded the rubber nubs off the tires, they've sanded off the oxidation they keep finding on the inside of the wheel, yet they refuse to replace the leaking wheels. The dealer actually had my vehicle for approx. three weeks at the end of the year and did nothing. They cant even provide me with a service sheet because they never worked on the vehicle. As much as I like my Edge (and even though in the beginning I helped my dealership sell many Explorers and Edges) I simply don't recommend Ford anymore. I actively steer people away at this point solely on the customer service of my dealership. After spending over $80K in new vehicles when the economy was tanking, giving test drives and delivering sales to my dealership, and then getting this treatment I will agree with you that customer satisfaction isnt a high priority after the sale.

The last Ford that I owned before the Edge was a 96 tbird. It leaked around the rear window and the rear window trim didn't fit correctly because the clip studs were spot welded in the wrong places. The ac drain was stopped up due to a kink in the drain and soaked the padding in the front passenger side. The service department unkinked the drain but left the padding soaking wet. It also had transmission problems. The service manager stated that the transmission fluid was "tired". I thought I would give Ford another try with the Edge. I wonder what will be next.

I don't get it. Is your weatherstrip fixed or not? Ford doesn't glue it on at the factory cause that would take more time and cost more money. The fact that yours is now glued on should be considered an upgrade, not some kind of hack-job.

It is glued. It wasn't designed to be glued. There was not enough metal on the fold on the door to hold the weather strip in place. I don't consider it an upgrade. It is just a band-aid fix.

It doesn't matter how it was designed - did they fix it or not?

What do you mean it wasn't designed to be glued? It was designed to be attached in a cheaper way than glue. Glueing it does not hurt it's performance in any way and will hold it in position better than it was designed providing a better and more consistent seal. If Ford could afford to glue them all, they would.

What about it's performance/appearance currently doesn't meet your satisfaction?

A hammer, oil can, bailing wire, duct tape, and gorilla glue. That's all you need to "fix" a Ford.

Out of spec is out of spec no matter how you look at it. Glueing it will not provide a more consistent seal.

There are things you can do to please "some people".

Edited by misterfixit

What good would it do to carry it back to the dealer or another dealer? Mr. Barron has the final word.

I still haven't seen a copy of the so called "repair guidelines".

Ford doesn't care about customer satisfaction. I will remember that fact.

As discussed, you may contact Wendell via email with further inquiries. I'm unable to assist with this concern further.

Sadly I've had my own problems with our Fords. We purchased 2 new vehicles when they weren't exactly flying out of showrooms (Winter 2010, spring 2011). An overloaded 2011 Edge Sport, and a Custom ordered 2011 Ford Explorer. The Explorer began leaking so bady after only one year that the interior carpets began to develop mold. The dealer had taken the vehicle in a staggering 12 times and had it for over 143 total days! it was finally Lemon Lawed with a huge hit for usage during the time it didn't leak. At the same time, Ive had an ongoing problem with my 22" wheels on my Sport losing pressure regularly. Ive reported the problem so many times and left the vehicle at the dealer so much it also qualifies for New Jerseys Lemon law, except that i really Like my Sport. I was given an extended warranty for all my trouble, but the dealer simply refuses to do what the TSB clearly states to fix the problem (Replace the rims) They've sanded the rubber nubs off the tires, they've sanded off the oxidation they keep finding on the inside of the wheel, yet they refuse to replace the leaking wheels. The dealer actually had my vehicle for approx. three weeks at the end of the year and did nothing. They cant even provide me with a service sheet because they never worked on the vehicle. As much as I like my Edge (and even though in the beginning I helped my dealership sell many Explorers and Edges) I simply don't recommend Ford anymore. I actively steer people away at this point solely on the customer service of my dealership. After spending over $80K in new vehicles when the economy was tanking, giving test drives and delivering sales to my dealership, and then getting this treatment I will agree with you that customer satisfaction isnt a high priority after the sale.

You say you've been to the Dealer with your Edge Sport. When was your last appointment? Let me know and I'll look into options on my end.

My opinion is Ford customer service doesn't care about complete customer satisfaction.

So much dissatisfaction over what I see as easily fixable items by Ford. Sad.

Ford maintains a high level of customer satisfaction across the board - something that may be seen here on these forums. :) I'm happy to do what I can, when I can.

Todd

It's working fine - he just doesn't like the way they fixed it.

How do you know it is fine? What gives you the right to speak for me? They patched it. Ford quality is lacking.

Wendell will not answer my email. Another sign of poor customer service.

Edited by misterfixit