Tinted Tails - Unique Coatings

Starting a new thread from THIS one.

So I Googled across this guy who does some absolutely amazingly beautiful tinted tail lights.

A completely unique process he is calling Unique Coatings.

I found him on the Ford Focus forum. After PMing back and forth a bit he directed me to the Dodge forum HERE, where he is a sponsor and has a section devoted entirely to this work.

Toward the bottom of the Sponsors section, look for Unique Coatings.

In speaking with him he can and will tint Edge tails.

He went to Ford and looked at them then replied about how they are made, adding that due to the way they are constructed leaving the reverse light section untinted isn't an option for us. That's ok with me as plenty of light passes through the tinting.

He offers a core program but as he's never done an Edge before does not have a set.

For those models he does have core sets for he can ship an already tinted set out either immediately (and refund the core charge after receiving the customer's original set), or a customer can ship their tails and he will ship a tinted set the day after he receives them. Or, of course, a customer can ship their tails and wait while he does the work. Turnaround approximately 5-6 days or so, counting ship time to and from. The last option will of course mean a customer would have to do without their Edge for some days while awaiting delivery.

His method, which I pasted from a PM in the top-most linked thread here, involves a unique dipping method followed by the application of an automotive clearcoat which he will then wet-sand and buff.

According to his information in a 20+ page thread at the Dodge forum he lastly waxes the tails before shipping.

Once installed, and after a short time to allow for proper curing, the tails can be treated as one would their paint as far as washing and waxing.

I located some discount OEM tail lights for the Edge and sent him the links. Looking at about $300 or so, not counting shipping, to purchase OEM replacements.

He has suggested that some of us can get together and pitch in on the initial cores.

This is because he understandably can't take the loss on a single customer such as myself... and I would prefer not to spend $300 over and above the tinting cost then put the spares in a box.

However if six of us would pitch $50 each he is willing to purchase OEM tails and commence with the tinting, refunding each of us in turn our $50 as he would a core.

His price quote is $95 for the left and right tail light assemblies and $30 for the third light at the top. Plus shipping - and he covers the first $15 for shipping as well. This price would be to send in your assemblies and wait.

The price for a core option is slightly higher than if one were to outright buy a set from him (when looking at the pricing he's laid out for all sorts of models at the Dodge forum too) - $150 for all three tails on an Edge.

So, I started this new thread to see if there are five other interested parties here on this forum who would be interested in going in with me on this.

I am not out to and will not make a dime on this man's time and beautiful work.

I snagged several images from the other forums to give a clear image of how good these things look. They are of several different models and some include the untinted reverse light, which I remind is not an option for the Edge tails.

Tons more images and a whole bunch of satisfied customers can be found at the Dodge forum linked above.

Not one single customer has not been totally 100% satisfied with these.

Focus with light to medium tint.

post-1289-1193795675_thumb.jpg

"Before and after" in one pic

post-1289-1193800408_thumb.jpg

With brakes on - different truck than above

post-1289-1193795715_thumb.jpg

So nice! I scribbled out his tag. I don't mind people seeing mine but can't speak for others, ya know?

post-1289-1193795726_thumb.jpg

For an 07 Focus sedan - prototypes requested by someone for a SEMA carpost-1289-1193795736_thumb.jpg

Variety pack, with and without the untinted reverse light section.

Notice how the flash shows how the reflector sections reflect just fine

post-1289-1193795744_thumb.jpgpost-1289-1193795753_thumb.jpg

Another nice shot of a set fully tinted

post-1289-1193795762_thumb.jpg

Great reflection shot. With a baby thrown in for effect ;)

Look at that reflection! Wow!

post-1289-1193795771_thumb.jpg

A couple views of a third brake light

post-1289-1193795789_thumb.jpgpost-1289-1193795798_thumb.jpg

Another nice truck. Scribbled tag again on this one. Had to put a line on the reflection too. lol

post-1289-1193795805_thumb.jpg

I should also add that I will be having my tail lights done by this gentleman regardless of whether or not we can come up with the six people necessary to start an Edge core program.

Edited by scoopo

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NYEdge -

Unfortunately, i do not have pictures of the light tint. Only a handful of people have ever wanted it. It looks like a very very slight gray.

I would not recommend tint on the headlights, but if you go with light, there will be minimal light transmission lost. Medium will cut you down fairly well, and dark is show use only, because very very little light can be transmitted.

Wow, I thought more people would jump on this immediately.

Maybe I'm just all "Christmas Eve-y" about these.

I reiterate: I will have a set of these with or without the "group buy" of the core set.

I'll give it through the weekend, then I'm commencing with a plan to own a set asap. :shades:

These will be just too sweet on my black Edge. Especially with the blackout/stealth effect I'm working on. :D

Wow, I thought more people would jump on this immediately.

Maybe I'm just all "Christmas Eve-y" about these.

I reiterate: I will have a set of these with or without the "group buy" of the core set.

I'll give it through the weekend, then I'm commencing with a plan to own a set asap. :shades:

These will be just too sweet on my black Edge. Especially with the blackout/stealth effect I'm working on. :D

Hey there, I'm up for this mod but I'm confused by all the different prices beign thrown around.

Is it $50 now and then another $115 later or $150? Also are the three lights easy enough to get off?

Cheers,

Hey there, I'm up for this mod but I'm confused by all the different prices beign thrown around.

Is it $50 now and then another $115 later or $150? Also are the three lights easy enough to get off?

Cheers,

Ok -

I am in the same boat here,

I have a black new Edge, and could totally go for blacked out tail lights...some questions:

1. What are we talking about here, in terms of total $$?

2. Safety - These show the brake lights and everything else as need be, right? No drop in safety or visibility, day or night? Important, as I have a child.

3. Also, these lights, by NY law, have to visible from 500 feet away...are they?

3. Who installs these, exactly?

Let me know - I might spring as well.

Edited by gfhii

Hi Jillo79!

The pricing, if I'm correct or course, depends on how one would go about it.

If you (or me or whoever) were to remove the lights and send them off to be tinted the price would be $95 for the tails and $30 for the third = $125, plus shipping there and back. Chad says he'll cover the first $15 of shipping - I assume that's the return shipping.

If someone wanted their tails tinted but didn't want to be without tail lights and therefore unable to drive their Edge for 5 or more days their only option atm would be to buy their own set of OEM replacement assemblies and ship them to him for tinting.

This is a great option but will put one owner out the $300 for the OEM set(at the least expensive place I've found on line) plus the tinting fee from Chad... and they would end up with two sets - one tinted, the other factory.

The $50 thing is if we can get 6 people willing to go in on a core set of lights.

If Chad were to already have a core set, meaning he had a set in his possession before a customer wanted them, the price would be $150 + core charge. The core charge would be refunded after a customer received and installed the tinted tails then returned the originals to him.

The core idea is the same difference as if one were to purchase a water pump from an auto parts store.

The reason here is that he hasn't done an Edge yet and a new set of all three lights will cost around $300.

As Chad couldn't justify buying $300 worth of Edge tails to tint them and sell them to me, or any single owner, for $150 he said if we could get 6 people to pitch $50 each he'd take that money, buy the new OEM tail light assemblies, and return our $50 each as a core refund. With 6 or more customers it would be feasible for him to invest his own money in the core set he would in the end retain and have to offer the next and future Edge owners.

gfhii:

Total dollars would = $150 plus *shipping (IF 6 of us were to go in on a core set).

Take yours off and wait = $125 + *shipping.

Buy your own and send those = $300(+) for OEM assemblies + $125 (right Chad?) for tinting + *shipping.

*shipping = TO Chad + FROM Chad minus the $15 he offers to cover. (example. Shipping one way is $25. Total shipping $25+$25-$15 = $35)

Advice on blacking out your Edge? ... Well, these here tail lights are a big, beautiful step.

Also there's the guy who does the colored emblems, but it looks like they're no longer available till he's sure he's not stepping on Ford's toes. Decals/overlays for emblems fall next on that list (I like the Superman S in black).

Black wheels is something I did. Others have too.

20% tint (illegal in some/most states, but matches the back)

Also, tint-wise, it's legal to completely black out or even paint all the windows behind the driver and passenger sides.

Powdercoat chrome. I'm looking into this for my grill like the green custom Edge in the Custom Edges thread.

Lesse, emblems, wheels, chrome, windows, lights.... that pretty much covers it I think.

OH! I will be painting my brake rotors black. Especially with the after market wheels through which they're so much more apparent.

Don't forget the tire shine. Any car looks better with nice shiny black tires! ;)

Hey Scoopo:

Who does those black grills? Do they look professional? And are they expensive?

I am thinking of limo tint in the back, black Ford Logo (or all chrome, perhaps), up to legal tint in the front sides, these black backuplights (if legal), and a black grille, if it makes sense ($$$). However, I think that the 18 inch chrome wheels that come with the Limited may have to stick around ($$$ reasons)....but that should look pretty cool.

Also, my interior is all black so should be a cool look. Any thoughts?

G

Hey Scoopo:

Who does those black grills? Do they look professional? And are they expensive?

I am thinking of limo tint in the back, black Ford Logo (or all chrome, perhaps), up to legal tint in the front sides, these black backuplights (if legal), and a black grille, if it makes sense ($$$). However, I think that the 18 inch chrome wheels that come with the Limited may have to stick around ($$$ reasons)....but that should look pretty cool.

Also, my interior is all black so should be a cool look. Any thoughts?

G

I haven't looked into the grills yet.

I know powder-coating is done... just not who does it (just yet).

Grats on the black interior. I bought mine off the lot and have Camel interior. Nice, but I'd rather have black.

I managed to score a black rear emblem from Scott because I had been communicating with him prior to his shutting down.

Paid today, hope to receive the emblem middle of next week.

The 18" chromes look great, tbh. They're not black though.

I became attached enough I had buyer's remorse after changing them out. But only for a few days. The black wheels are friggin sweeeeet on a black Edge!

As for the Unique Coatings tails:

If several of us are to go in on a core deal we need six people (although I bet we could do five at $60 each with little trouble)

So a list...

1. Scoopo

If we can agree and sign up in a relatively quick manner we can get on with getting Chad to start the tinting.

If not I will be removing my tail lights and sending them off. Which of course means I will not be participating in a core program, and therefore won't be pitching in.

I think it's an inevitability that enough Edge owners, in the long run and assuming they can be made aware of Chad's awesome work, will be interested and he will end up with a core program. However I will be scoring myself a set of these bad ass tails much sooner than later. ;)

Edited by scoopo

Grats on the black interior. I bought mine off the lot and have Camel interior. Nice, but I'd rather have black.

I managed to score a black rear emblem from Scott because I had been communicating with him prior to his shutting down.

I became attached enough I had buyer's remorse after changing them out. But only for a few days. The black wheels are friggin sweeeeet on a black Edge!

If several of us are to go in on a core deal we need six people (although I bet we could do five at $60 each with little trouble)

So a list...

1. Scoopo

6. Abrannan19

If we can agree and sign up in a relatively quick manner we can get on with getting Chad to start the tinting.

If not I will be removing my tail lights and sending them off. Which of course means I will not be participating in a core program, and therefore won't be pitching in.

I think it's an inevitability that enough Edge owners, in the long run and assuming they can be made aware of Chad's awesome work, will be interested and he will end up with a core program. However I will be scoring myself a set of these bad ass tails much sooner than later. ;)

I wanna do them aswell. But it will be later then sooner..Going to TN..figure how the funds are afterwards..and after the 22's. My buddies wife has a black edge..I am gonna ask him about a set..so I may have 2 sets.

Hey guys, checking back in.

Just for clarification, the 15 dollar shipping coverage is under the core program, not if you send in your own lights. buyer is responsible for supplying shipping to and from me. If supplied with a zip, i can get actual return shipping cost to you.

Gfhii - you should not have an issue with light transmission if going with the "light" stage tint. Medium may not meet the 500 feet, but would certainly meet 300 feet. If light is not enough, i can always make special batches of solution to get to a happy medium btwn. light and medium.

So a list...

1. Scoopo

Cbrenn:

So, will a medium tint be visible during the day? Also, will it look good with the "midnight effect" I am going with, or will it just look muddy? Thanks! The look I really like is on the black truck (last picture) in the first post. What tint is that ? Thanks,

G

Edited by gfhii

Scoopo:

I am in , if we get six. But I need to know that these are legal in NY/NYC. That means 500 feet viewing capability. Its also a safety thing, as I have a little one in the car. Can he give us an answer?

G

If it's that big of a problem with legality and your child then why not error on the side of caution and not do it?

Go the opposite route to them. One-way mirror treatment on the inside. Actually the Flex rear door will be chromed, so then your already ahead of the curve.

Hilarious

As for why risk it, its a question of getting comfortable with it. But thanks for the advice.

Ok, so far we have:

1. Scoopo

2. gfhii

3. lee6379

lee6379 - What is needed - We need six people to pitch the $50 each to start the core program for Edge tails. If/when we get enough interested Edge owners we'll send the money to Chad who will then purchase a new set of tails and tint them. Then he'll send them to us in order and we'll swap them and return our untinted set for tinting and delivery to the next person.

Each of us in turn will get our $50 back from Chad and he'll end up with a core set, which is why he's willing to give us back the initial $50 charge.