Tinted Tails - Unique Coatings

there is always the fogs :)

The fogs don't have a clear lens over them. I kinda wish they did just for this.

They're just the chrome and a smallish bulb-thing. Not sure if it's a housing or what. I've never looked that closely at the bulb part itself.

Also, FYI to all of you all, the red LEDs came in.

They look like a different type of LED so even though there are many more actual LEDs on them they are the same size as the 1/10 super whites. That means they should fit just like any bulb.

I'll be testing them out too for sure. Kinda curious how red LEDs inside the red diffuser will look.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The fogs don't have a clear lens over them. I kinda wish they did just for this.

They're just the chrome and a smallish bulb-thing. Not sure if it's a housing or what. I've never looked that closely at the bulb part itself.

Also, FYI to all of you all, the red LEDs came in.

They look like a different type of LED so even though there are many more actual LEDs on them they are the same size as the 1/10 super whites. That means they should fit just like any bulb.

I'll be testing them out too for sure. Kinda curious how red LEDs inside the red diffuser will look.

scoop - sounds like you have a projector style fog light. can you shoot me a picture? i can always color match the surround and tint the projector. just an idea.

chad.

scoop - sounds like you have a projector style fog light. can you shoot me a picture? i can always color match the surround and tint the projector. just an idea.

chad.

Sure.

I can take a couple decent ones in the daylight tomorrow and post em here or send them to you via PM.

that looks like a chrome housing with no clear lens correct? just the inset projector bulb? in any case, what you or i can do is shoot the chrome housing to match the color, and lamin-x the projector bulb. that would completely knock out the "white" in the fog area.

That's right.

I probably will go with painting the housing soon.

How would the Lamin-x affect the light of the bulb? I like them nice and bright like they are (as far as lighting the roadway ahead)

The tails look great!

Payment sent, PM replied to.

:woot:

lamin-x will not effect light transmission whatsoever if you go with their "gunsmoke" which is about a 10% tint.

If you go with their charcoal, which is darker (used for the third brake) you will see minimal light lost.

which tint did scoop go with ? is that the black out? or the light tint..with the flash on the camera its hard to tell..

I'm not sure if everyone has seen my cardomain, but this was some ideas i had when i first got my edge like 8months ago..

these are a quick photoshop

2592218_7_full.jpg

2592218_8_full.jpg

hopefully i'm going to get the tails done very soon... and the project for the front is a possibility.. i think it would look awesome.

Edited by Hodge

which tint did scoop go with ? is that the black out? or the light tint..with the flash on the camera its hard to tell..

Abrannan - that is the "medium" tint, however, keep in mind this is a different formula tint i am using for the clear lenses, so the traditional medium i have used for red lenses will not have the same exact look to it as this "medium"

The tails arrived today!

I had some things going on and decided not to open them till tomorrow (Saturday). Then I couldn't do it and pried the box open and unwrapped em...

OMG, these are sooo nice! I can't wait to install them tomorrow and get some pictures!

I'll be testing out the different bulbs I have as well I as I can both day and night.

Look for pics no later than Monday. Maybe sooner. Probably sooner... but don't spring on me if not ;)

I'll be sure to document (again, as best I can) anything I notice that may help you all. Such as how the high-mount assembly which didn't want to cooperate the other day when I was trying to take a quick look-see at the bulbs.

Barring anything unforeseen I will have the next set off to Chad on Monday.

Soooooon B)

Ok, here we go.

With the way things work for me a few things came up so I wasn't able to get started till almost dark... and it started raining (with a little ice) just before we got home.

So I will still need to get out and get some better pictures.

Also I ran into a couple things I took pictures of for you guys. Nothing big but I figured I'd give you all any info I can to make it easier for you.

The tails come off and on pretty easily. The high-mount was a little tougher.

Of all the LEDs I got it went like this:

Reverse light bulb doesn't fit through the hole.

Super White LED - not as bright as the standard bulb.

Red LED - pulling too much current or something. I would unlock the car with the fob so I could see the running lights from behind then the car would not respond to the fob until the lights went out on their own. This only happened with the red LED and went away as soon as I removed it.

So, All standard bulbs here.

To a few pictures. They aren't that good but I'll get more and better ones asap.

Please disregard the state of the garage.

Left tail installed, right one stock. Before and after at the same time, as it were.

post-1289-1195949965_thumb.jpg

Stock side close up.

post-1289-1195949983_thumb.jpg

A couple of the tinted side close up.

Pictures suck and don't do them justice. They are absolutely SICK looking against the black paint!! :D

post-1289-1195949996_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1195950009_thumb.jpg

Reverse lights lit. post-1289-1195950022_thumb.jpg

Brakes on.

post-1289-1195950031_thumb.jpg

Like I said, I didn't bother with comparison pics of the different bulbs as the stock one was clearly brighter as soon as I looked.

More pics to come. Sorry these suck. Cold, raining, was backed into the garage then would pull it out halfway and take pics from inside with the overheads off.

I'll get these tails boxed up and shipped out on Monday for the next tint session.

Edited by scoopo

Ugh. My mouse is acting up and I somehow closed my browser completely when trying to close the emoticon window.

So... let's try this again.

Sorry folks, the weather is so crappy here today I didn't go anywhere.

It did stop raining so I was able to get some "daylight" pictures.

Before and after

post-1289-1196027862_thumb.jpgpost-1289-1196027887_thumb.jpg

A couple of the left side

post-1289-1196027922_thumb.jpgpost-1289-1196027953_thumb.jpg

Right side

post-1289-1196027994_thumb.jpg

Some "close-ups"

post-1289-1196028035_thumb.jpgpost-1289-1196028066_thumb.jpgpost-1289-1196028090_thumb.jpg

More and better to come, but you get the idea from these.

Ugh. My mouse is acting up and I somehow closed my browser completely when trying to close the emoticon window.

So... let's try this again.

Sorry folks, the weather is so crappy here today I didn't go anywhere.

It did stop raining so I was able to get some "daylight" pictures.

More and better to come, but you get the idea from these.

they look great..like I said before..I am wishing I hadnt gone last now..LOL

One suggestion..do the 07mkx mod..paint that exhuast with some high heat black paint..the the rear on your truck will be totally stealthy..I did mine it looks a ton better IMO

Can't wait to go next!

Replied to your PM.

I shipped out the untinted set back to Chad today.

Hey guys. I just got my 08 Edge about 2 weeks ago and since tinting tails is my business I will be spraying my lights soon.

You guys should check out my website. I have been tinting tails for several years.

Thanks,

Jon

www.jonstintedtails.com

Hi Jon.

I sent an email to you but had already started talking to Chad by the time I received a reply.

With his unique method I decided to go with him and get a core program started for the Edge.

I have no doubt your work is beautiful and now that you have an Edge I expect you'll add these tails to your inventory and website. I'm sure you'll get some customers as well :)

Scoop, you went through all the trouble to get all your lights tinted and not your windows??? just poking fun... The lights look good.

My windows are tinted.

I may at some point have additional tint added to the rear windows but I decided to stay nice and legal and had my front windows (and a strip across the top of the windshield) done at 35%.

I've got some really bright daytime pictures after I got my wheels that look like there's no tint at all.

Here's a couple more (not so good quality) pics of the running lights in the "daylight".

It's been raining almost non-stop since 2 minutes before I got home to install the tails on Saturday.

As we are having a critical drought I'm not really going to complain... but as usual for me the timing could have been better. Like let it rain before it got cold so I could hand wash my new Edge :rolleyes:

In the driveway from about 20 feet

post-1289-1196110736_thumb.jpg

Then I went to a big parking lot and walked about 300 feet back.

I think the daylight requirements are for the brakes but I didn't have anyone with me to hold the brake pedal so these are just running lights.

First one is just to show how far away I was. Seemed further. I thought none of these would even come out.

The second one is zoomed with full optical. I believe that's 10x

Third is fully zoomed with the additional (I believe)3x for a total of 30x

post-1289-1196110758_thumb.jpgpost-1289-1196110796_thumb.jpgpost-1289-1196110816_thumb.jpg