Tinted Tails - Unique Coatings

Great! We're all paid up now.

Probably Chad is awaiting on one money order to come in the mail, so I expect he'll be ordering the initial set of tails beginning of this next week if he hasn't already.

Also he messaged me late last night and said he just got back from working on the color for us and it looks like he's got the blend correct.

Can't wait! :D

1. PAID - Scoopo

2. PAID - Jillo79

3. PAID - gfhii

4. PAID - lee6379

5. PAID - NYEdge

6. PAID - Abrannan19

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hey guys, already ordered the tails and third brake in. The third came in yesterday, and it doesn't look like the correct type of plastic i can tint with. Ford likes to use a very soft plastic for their third brake lenses, that is flexible. This plastic does not take well to solvents, and when it comes into contact with the tint, it loves to crack and etch into the plastic.

I may look towards an alternative in lamin-x for the third brake lens. I am a seller and installer of this, so i will contact them directly and see what they can do for me. I hate to ruin a 45 dollar third brake light (because i'm 90% positive it wont take to the tint).

I'll keep you updated.

ok guys. tails are in. will begin work on them tommorow, they are already prepped.

However, the third brake light is unable to be tinted. the only way i can do it is to use lamin-x. I sell and install this product, and can get it to match up just as well with the tails as i would if the third brake light was capable of being tinted using my process. The lamin-x carries a 5 year warranty on it, and i will not charge any additional. The cost will remain the same. Let me know if you guys are ok with this, and we will get this process started. For those of you unfamiliar with the lamin-x product, here is an example:

show-smoke-l2.jpg

show-smoke-r2.jpg

Kinda sux that the material Ford uses for the third light is different than the others but if you can make it look just as good and have a nice long warranty then I'm ok with it.

Please supply any specific/special care instructions for it.

I know the tails will be washable and waxable just like the paint.

Thanks for the updates, and for your efforts :)

Kinda sux that the material Ford uses for the third light is different than the others but if you can make it look just as good and have a nice long warranty then I'm ok with it.

Please supply any specific/special care instructions for it.

I know the tails will be washable and waxable just like the paint.

Thanks for the updates, and for your efforts :)

All around ditto!

Guys (and gals) - wanted to give you an update. I got the mixture finally right this morning for the edge application. It is tricky getting the right mixture to dilute out right.

However, it looks as though we have a winner and all appears to be laying/adhering right. I have the lenses in final tint, and will be getting cleared either late tonight or tommorow.

One thing i noticed about the edge, is that the main tail light (brake) bulb is housed in a red diffuser. This give the clear tail light a red brake light when the bulb is lit. However, this is going to significantly reduce the amount of light a traditional tail light puts out. For this reason, i would recommend removing these (they are removable), and finding a direct replacement LED "cluster" light. This would give you a red light, without the interference of the reflector. Not only will you not have the reflector, LED's look sweet through tint.

Case in point:

Picture297.jpg

Guys (and gals) - wanted to give you an update. I got the mixture finally right this morning for the edge application. It is tricky getting the right mixture to dilute out right.

However, it looks as though we have a winner and all appears to be laying/adhering right. I have the lenses in final tint, and will be getting cleared either late tonight or tommorow.

One thing i noticed about the edge, is that the main tail light (brake) bulb is housed in a red diffuser. This give the clear tail light a red brake light when the bulb is lit. However, this is going to significantly reduce the amount of light a traditional tail light puts out. For this reason, i would recommend removing these (they are removable), and finding a direct replacement LED "cluster" light. This would give you a red light, without the interference of the reflector. Not only will you not have the reflector, LED's look sweet through tint.

Case in point:

Picture297.jpg

Cool! I'm looking forward to some pics of the tails in their tinted state soon :)

I was looking at the red diffuser the other night.

Since it is removable some red LEDs would probably look super sweet.

But... I didn't even think of that and wouldn't have known a few days ago that it was removable so I bought a set of these:

3157_mt_w_wm.jpg

... with the plan of installing them as one would a factory replacement filament bulb within the red diffuser section.

They just arrived today.

At $25 each I think I will wait and see just how brightly they shine through before dropping the fund on a set of red ones. (They are available in red as well as amber)

Also, looking on THIS page there are others I had considered but rejected because I thought they could be too tall.

If I, or any one or more of us, were to choose to remove the diffuser (remember the bulbs wont be nearly as obvious under the tinting, as far as visual aesthetics with the lights off go) the taller Tower models with more LEDs would definitely fit.

I'll let you all know and will post pictures asap.

Then the rest of you will have a better idea of how the tinted tail look with first factory bulbs and then with the Super White models I bought.

If I then score some red LEDs and remove the diffuser I will of course post pictures of that as well.

I also bought a pair of these for the reverse lights:

921_matrix_w_wm.jpg

And one of these for the license plate (I have a tinted plate cover with black frame and black mounting-screw caps):

31mm_hf_9led_w_wm.jpg

I did not buy a bulb for the third/high-mount light though because it said they were a little larger than stock and may not fit.

I see tonight that I was looking at the second ones. The top ones says no such thing.

Guess I'll be sending off for one more bulb. I think I'll wait in case I do order the red LEDs... :mellow:

Alright, in addition to a high-mount/third bulb seen here:

194smt_w_wm.jpg

... I went ahead and ordered a pair of the red SMT Tower LED bulbs.

They have 25 high powered side facing LEDs and 5 high powered forward facing LEDs.

3157_smt_30led_r_wm.jpg

So, I will be able to test out not only the stock filament bulbs and the 20/1 high powered LEDs in the red inner diffuser but also these red 25/5 LEDS without the diffuser.

I'll be talking to Chad tomorrow to finalize the details for the first set of tinted tails, then will be taking delivery soon thereafter.

I will take pictures with the different setups with as close to the same environmental lighting as possible, and will see what I can do to find a nice dark parking lot or some such with a viewable distance of 300-500 feet for more of the same. I have just such a place in mind but am not sure if they turn off the lights at night. I will find something dark somewhere nearby without a doubt.

scoop - sorry i didn't answer last night. i was at a switchfoot concert and left my phone in the car. it was late when i got out. Anyways, i have ended up tinting these lenses 3 times to get the color just how i want it. Last time was too dark.

These appear dark, but as you can tell by the flash, will not only transmit light very well, the reflectors will also be very easy to see in the dark.

The other lens has not been wetsanded and buffed yet, but will probably be done tonight. I'm still waiting on the Lamin-X order to come in.

Chad.

FordEdge013.jpg

FordEdge012.jpg

FordEdge010.jpg

FordEdge009.jpg

FordEdge007.jpg

FordEdge006.jpg

FordEdge005.jpg

FordEdge004.jpg

FordEdge003.jpg

FordEdge002.jpg

FordEdge001.jpg

No sweat man. I figured you'd get back to me.

I'm glad you were able to redo them. I was a little worried because you were a little worried that they were too dark.

That looks AMAZING! As good if not better than I'd hoped! :shades:

It occurred to me after I ordered the red LEDs and posted that when you say the red inner diffuser is removable that it might not be re-installable.

If one were to remove it would it be a permanent thing? Or do they clip in or some such?

I'd rather not remove them for "LED testing" purposes if they can't be reinstalled.

Thanks dude! ;)

No sweat man. I figured you'd get back to me.

I'm glad you were able to redo them. I was a little worried because you were a little worried that they were too dark.

That looks AMAZING! As good if not better than I'd hoped! :shades:

It occurred to me after I ordered the red LEDs and posted that when you say the red inner diffuser is removable that it might not be re-installable.

If one were to remove it would it be a permanent thing? Or do they clip in or some such?

I'd rather not remove them for "LED testing" purposes if they can't be reinstalled.

Thanks dude! ;)

The tail light diffusers are not replaceable. once removed, they cant be put back in.

The tail light diffusers are not replaceable. once removed, they cant be put back in.

Ok then.

Well, I suppose I'll stick with plan A for now and see how they look (and take pics of course) with the stock bulbs then with the LEDs. One of each for comparison and picture purposes.

I'll be installing the LEDs regardless.

Then if the the Super White ones aren't bright enough for me I'll remove the diffuser and install the red tower LEDs.

I expect they will be fine even with stock bulbs.

And who knows. I may end up removing the diffuser and using the red ones anyway. We'll see.

Whichever set of running/brake LEDs I do not use I will offer for sale.

Perhaps not right away, for the reason stated above.

I'm getting all tingly now :D

Is that legal to use ?

I'm assuming you mean on the front? I would not use the same darkness as what the tails have on them. I would use more of a smoke look, it would not black them out, but it would significantly cut down on the "white" in the front, and give it more of a blacked out appearance. Visibility is not effected at all by the lamin-x, and you should not have any issues with police.

is the lamin-x a removable film? because i need to remove before i give my edge back to ford.

let me know cause if it is and u deal with lamin-x i will possibly send my tails out to you, or buy the lamin-x off of you to do it myself. If anyone knows of there being a film out there that can be removed let me know, i'd appreciate it, thanks.