Tinted Tails - Unique Coatings

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be honest, I can't even remember. It got confusing because I bought an HID kit, the headlight tint and the taillight tint. Chad will be able to tell you exactly how much the end cost will end up being. The only real variable will be the shipping costs. I spent a little more because I'm in Canada and had to pay some duty but if you are in the US, shipping is cheap. Well worth the money though...I love the way my Edge looks!

• 4 weeks later...
leeandsasha - this thread is related to my company. Feel free to make a separate post, but i would appriciate it if you would start your own thread, and remove your 3 posts above.

The posts are gone sorry about it, great tinting jobs on the tail lights.... if from Iowa keep tint to 35% or scraping off will happen, just for the Iowa residents

I would like to be placed in line for the same grade tint as the silver edge below. I have the same vapor silver edge, this is going to look great! Please place me in line and Let me know when to paypal.

thnx,

steve

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

got mine yesterday..installed them today..her are pictures. the before was the film that I bought off ebay.

Ā 

Ā 

new tinted tails

DSC06974Medium.jpg

DSC06975Medium.jpg

lights on

DSC06976Medium.jpg

DSC06979Medium.jpg

To be honest, for the reasonable price Chad at Unique charges, you are best to go with him and have them professionally done. His work is fantastic and you'll be more than happy with the results. I've seen alot of botched DIY jobs...just not worth it in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Starting a new thread from THIS one.

Ā 

So I Googled across this guy who does some absolutely amazingly beautiful tinted tail lights.

A completely unique process he is calling Unique Coatings.

I found him on the Ford Focus forum. After PMing back and forth a bit he directed me to the Dodge forum HERE, where he is a sponsor and has a section devoted entirely to this work.

Toward the bottom of the Sponsors section, look for Unique Coatings.

Ā 

In speaking with him he can and will tint Edge tails.

He went to Ford and looked at them then replied about how they are made, adding that due to the way they are constructed leaving the reverse light section untinted isn't an option for us. That's ok with me as plenty of light passes through the tinting.

Ā 

He offers a core program but as he's never done an Edge before does not have a set.

For those models he does have core sets for he can ship an already tinted set out either immediately (and refund the core charge after receiving the customer's original set), or a customer can ship their tails and he will ship a tinted set the day after he receives them. Or, of course, a customer can ship their tails and wait while he does the work. Turnaround approximately 5-6 days or so, counting ship time to and from. The last option will of course mean a customer would have to do without their Edge for some days while awaiting delivery.

Ā 

His method, which I pasted from a PM in the top-most linked thread here, involves a unique dipping method followed by the application of an automotive clearcoat which he will then wet-sand and buff.

According to his information in a 20+ page thread at the Dodge forum he lastly waxes the tails before shipping.

Once installed, and after a short time to allow for proper curing, the tails can be treated as one would their paint as far as washing and waxing.

Ā 

I located some discount OEM tail lights for the Edge and sent him the links. Looking at about $300 or so, not counting shipping, to purchase OEM replacements.

He has suggested that some of us can get together and pitch in on the initial cores.

This is because he understandably can't take the loss on a single customer such as myself... and I would prefer not to spend $300 over and above the tinting cost then put the spares in a box.

However if six of us would pitch $50 each he is willing to purchase OEM tails and commence with the tinting, refunding each of us in turn our $50 as he would a core.

His price quote is $95 for the left and right tail light assemblies and $30 for the third light at the top. Plus shipping - and he covers the first $15 for shipping as well. This price would be to send in your assemblies and wait.

The price for a core option is slightly higher than if one were to outright buy a set from him (when looking at the pricing he's laid out for all sorts of models at the Dodge forum too) - $150 for all three tails on an Edge.

Ā 

So, I started this new thread to see if there are five other interested parties here on this forum who would be interested in going in with me on this.

I am not out to and will not make a dime on this man's time and beautiful work.

Ā 

I snagged several images from the other forums to give a clear image of how good these things look. They are of several different models and some include the untinted reverse light, which I remind is not an option for the Edge tails.

Tons more images and a whole bunch of satisfied customers can be found at the Dodge forum linked above.

Not one single customer has not been totally 100% satisfied with these.

Ā 

Focus with light to medium tint.

post-1289-1193795675_thumb.jpg

Ā 

"Before and after" in one pic

post-1289-1193800408_thumb.jpg

Ā 

With brakes on - different truck than above

post-1289-1193795715_thumb.jpg

Ā 

So nice! I scribbled out his tag. I don't mind people seeing mine but can't speak for others, ya know?

post-1289-1193795726_thumb.jpg

Ā 

For an 07 Focus sedan - prototypes requested by someone for a SEMA carpost-1289-1193795736_thumb.jpg

Ā 

Variety pack, with and without the untinted reverse light section.

Notice how the flash shows how the reflector sections reflect just fine

post-1289-1193795744_thumb.jpgpost-1289-1193795753_thumb.jpg

Ā 

Another nice shot of a set fully tinted

post-1289-1193795762_thumb.jpg

Ā 

Great reflection shot. With a baby thrown in for effect ;)

Look at that reflection! Wow!

post-1289-1193795771_thumb.jpg

Ā 

A couple views of a third brake light

post-1289-1193795789_thumb.jpgpost-1289-1193795798_thumb.jpg

Ā 

Another nice truck. Scribbled tag again on this one. Had to put a line on the reflection too. lol

post-1289-1193795805_thumb.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

I should also add that I will be having my tail lights done by this gentleman regardless of whether or not we can come up with the six people necessary to start an Edge core program.

Check out my pics. Went with the painting technique. Had a shop do it that specializes in tinting windows and other custom stuff.

post-3138-1222708301_thumb.jpg

post-3138-1222708341_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey there,

Just picked up my 08 Limited last weekend, but have been kind of watching this thread for a while. I LOVE the look and the quality that you are showing is like nothing I've seen to date. Not sure if there is a current list of people waiting, but I want to get in on the next rotation. I can assure a quick turn around as I have to do it on the DL as my wife will kill me if she sees me working on mods for the edge. (Constantly tweeking a Harley I bought too). Put smoked lenses on my HD and look great.

Let me know what I need to do. Live in Seattle area, looking for medium tint. I think that would look good on a black edge but have only seen dark. Don't want to mess with the PD (or my wife) so need to be somewhat conservative ;)

Cheers

Hey there,

Just picked up my 08 Limited last weekend, but have been kind of watching this thread for a while. I LOVE the look and the quality that you are showing is like nothing I've seen to date. Not sure if there is a current list of people waiting, but I want to get in on the next rotation. I can assure a quick turn around as I have to do it on the DL as my wife will kill me if she sees me working on mods for the edge. (Constantly tweeking a Harley I bought too). Put smoked lenses on my HD and look great.

Let me know what I need to do. Live in Seattle area, looking for medium tint. I think that would look good on a black edge but have only seen dark. Don't want to mess with the PD (or my wife) so need to be somewhat conservative ;)

Cheers

Ā 

Ā 

Let me know how it goes. I live in the Seattle area too and held off on this due to being worried about the PD around here.

• 3 months later...

search on ebay.. i have a window tinting company down the street that i buy my supplys from, not sure of the name of the product i use but its made for tail lights and its a liquid spray transparent tint. very good quality.. best part about it is you can make it as dark or as light as you would like. very easy to use, remove tail lights and clean them with rubbing alcohol.. let dry. then use VERY light coats and do each at the same time that way you can get the tint to match as close as possible. i usually did 3 coats max. cans cost 12 bucks, and the best part about it is if you mess up you can wipe it off if you mess them up with a little of laquor thinner.. they look great and very professional. if you really want them to shine put a ittle bit of clear coat over them and they will last for years. i wouldnt put them on the headlights, maybe a very light coat and some clear but i imagine they will start to pit unless you bought some 3m clear bra to protect them