Firm brake pedal on startup

Have been experiencing a hard/firm brake pedal on startup (push button start) about once every three cold startups. I haven't noticed any issue with actual braking and the issue doesn't arise if started warm. No brake warning lights or anything. Once started all is well.

Keeping in mind I'm usually about a week between startups.

Has anyone else experienced this at all? There are no apparent external leaks and the reservoir is at normal level.

I don't know enough about the modern braking system to know if there could be a problem. As my closest dealer is two hours away and is not open on weekends, I will probably just keep driving it until a light comes on unless someone knows why I might be having this 'issue'.

Mine with the push start also gets a hard pedal when pushing it while starting if the car sits for several days. It immediately returns to normal upon starting, and doesn't do it again unless it sits for a few more days without starting.

I figure it is just the air leaking out of the booster.

What WWWPerfA_ZN0W said. It might be the brake booster not holding vacuum due to a leak. But if it's after 2 days, you should be fine. When my booster was failing, the hard pedal came after 2-3 hours of turning off the car and kept decreasing until the hard pedal came even while driving. Replaced under warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, my 08 Edge booster failed at 63,000 miles. Quick failure, no significant warning. Within 3 days, the pedal went from normal to hard accompanied by a hissing noise. On the good side, it was a three hour job. It looks harder than it is.

^ thanks. If I notice any change in the brake pedal feel while the vehicle is running I will certainly have it checked out.

You probably wouldn't have noticed a firm pedal at startup to correlate with booster failure since your 08 wouldn't have required you to hit the brakes in order to start the car.