Slotted/Drilled Rotors

Slotted or drilled rotors won't do anything for braking performance unless your getting your pads so hot thepressure of the pad vaporizing exceeds the hydraulic pressure. This rarely happens in a normally driven street vehicle. The only car I ever experienced this on was a 90 Honda Accord going down a hill that was a 25% grade for a mile...by the bottom the rotors would feel warped but give the pads a few minutes to cool and vibration was gone. So this purely for show. With that said I did do this on my previous ride and was surprised with how much NVH increased. The Edge might not be as bad since the suspension is pretty compliant but don't be surprised if you feel the slots through the pedal and the wheel. Personally I wouldn't spend my money on it again for a street car/truck. Oh not to mention you will likely eat your pads faster too.

I'm not terribly impressed with the brakes on my '08 Limited, they dont inspire confidence when braking hard. Several times I almost climbed up the trunk of a vehicle in front of me at a stop. On my other vehicles, normal braking pressure will bring the car to a smooth stop but on my Edge, they feel a bit off. On my old rally car, I would blame brake hose expansion and poor brake pad effectiveness. Teflon SS hoses took care of the soft pedal and ceramic pads fixed the stopping.

Ā 

For the record, the brakes have been thoroughly inspected by a very experienced professional, including the ABS, air in the brakes, etc. A replacement booster didnt change anything (the booster failed).

Ā 

Looking online for brake upgrades I noticed that there are two diameter brake rotors for the Edge. Mine has the smaller ones. Wonder what the larger ones were for and if they interchange?

Phil, we have powerstop slotted/cross-drilled on our 2007 Edge. They work AMAZING in conjunction with a set of ceramic brake pads. Only warning is that the rotors are zinc-coated to keep a nice silver finish for around a year. After a year, some surface rust starts to show on the vents/hub. This can be coated with High-Heat paint by Rustoleum. I would highly recommend the rotors/pads though!

By themselves new rotors won't do a thing for stopping power. You'd have to upgrade the pads and calipers too.

They do happen to come with pads. As long as stopping power is equal to stock it's not an issue with me. It's more about the look.

Ā 

Slotted or drilled rotors won't do anything for braking performance unless your getting your pads so hot thepressure of the pad vaporizing exceeds the hydraulic pressure. This rarely happens in a normally driven street vehicle. The only car I ever experienced this on was a 90 Honda Accord going down a hill that was a 25% grade for a mile...by the bottom the rotors would feel warped but give the pads a few minutes to cool and vibration was gone. So this purely for show. With that said I did do this on my previous ride and was surprised with how much NVH increased. The Edge might not be as bad since the suspension is pretty compliant but don't be surprised if you feel the slots through the pedal and the wheel. Personally I wouldn't spend my money on it again for a street car/truck. Oh not to mention you will likely eat your pads faster too.

Good info. Definitely wouldn't want to feel the slots through the pedal/wheel. I had them on a previous car and didn't have any issue. I'll likely take my chances.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Phil, we have powerstop slotted/cross-drilled on our 2007 Edge. They work AMAZING in conjunction with a set of ceramic brake pads. Only warning is that the rotors are zinc-coated to keep a nice silver finish for around a year. After a year, some surface rust starts to show on the vents/hub. This can be coated with High-Heat paint by Rustoleum. I would highly recommend the rotors/pads though!

Ā 

Awesome. Do you have any pics of them on your vehicle. I skimmed through some of your pictures and didn't happen to notice any. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Phil, I'll have some pictures for you by tomorrow!

Ā 

They do happen to come with pads. As long as stopping power is equal to stock it's not an issue with me. It's more about the look.

Ā 

Good info. Definitely wouldn't want to feel the slots through the pedal/wheel. I had them on a previous car and didn't have any issue. I'll likely take my chances.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Awesome. Do you have any pics of them on your vehicle. I skimmed through some of your pictures and didn't happen to notice any. Thanks

Ā 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A few pics of the rotors on mine:

Ā 

Ā 

Nice!! So how do they work? Any noise or vibration from the slots? My stock rotors are warped ever so slightly and I'm thinking of just replacing them with some drilled/slotted rotors. Haven't decided on the pads yet.... have OEM now but would prob go with something else

Hey Jared! Great to see ya on here again :) Mostly this combo is quiet. Under hard braking, you can hear the pads passing over the slots, not nearly loud enough to bother me. Braking power is much improved, surprising to me since the Z16s are ceramic-based. Dusting I am not yet sure (only 800 miles on them though). This silver color on the wheels is pretty good at hiding dust! :( / :)

Haha thanks! Yea been kinda MIA here for a bit lately..... haven't really posted much on any forums here lately, even the bike forums... just kinda lurking for a little bit I guess, lol.

That's cool glad to hear it works well and you like it. I don't mind a little noise under hard braking, just wouldn't want it EVERY time I hit the brakes. Probably gonna go with some powerstops as well. Where did you get yours from?

Ā 

I try and be pretty easy on the brakes, but living here in the mountains there is just about not a flat road to be founds, so you're pretty much always going up or down somewhere. Also doesn't help I keep hauling all my scrap metal around and up and down such hills as well, lol. Still well under the towing capacity (only about 1500 lbs here) but trying to stop downhill you still def feel it

Ā 

25C7BA38-B93E-4BF6-BF29-8B000E1D376B-278

Ā 

E91CF860-A2EB-42E2-8A4A-98F01A000E4F-278

• Like 1

I had occasion yesterday to really step on the brakes, and they did not disappoint. No uphill/downhill driving though.

Ā 

Bought the kit K2829 from autoanything, $314 shipped. Their prices have gone up and discounts down since I purchased it, may have better luck calling them up (sometimes 20% discount is available!). Amazon is giving a better price at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Ā 

"I noticed that there are two diameter brake rotors for the Edge. Mine has the smaller ones. Wonder what the larger ones were for and if they interchange?"

Ā 

AWD and FWD have different size.. The one thing that a good aftermarket drilled/slotted rotor won't do is warp less than a solid stock rotor and when combined with a high performance pad compound they will stop better even with same caliper.

Installed the front set of drilled rotors and ceramic pads over weekend. Broke them in with a few heat /cooling cycles and if they do not warp in 5000 miles like the last set of stock rotors then it's a WIN...

Definatly more bite with these pads.

• 1 month later...

I bought the powerstop kit for under 400$ and deff had bad luck with them. I bout em maybe 5 months ago, if that and have major vibration under any braking, so theyre shot already. Just a heads up. Im planning on going with the EBC Setup this coming week with Hawk HPS Pads as plenty of good reviews from people with experience beyond the initial install.

• 8 months later...

Since this was one of the first posts that came up in google I will dig up an old post and share my experience with powerstop rotors. I ran these for about 1 year with hawk hps pads. Bedded the pads in per manufacturer reccomendation as usual. Initially they worked well but not a real noticeable change in braking feel. They pretty much ate up the Pads in 1 year (~40k miles) which i knew was a possibility but the real issue is that one of the front rotors failed as you can see in the picks. Looks like the casting has voids in the rotor. Ill be sticking with a quality standard rotor (not drilled or slotted) from now on.

post-32955-0-44045100-1433988824_thumb.jpg

post-32955-0-93704200-1433988852_thumb.jpg

My wife works in sales and is on the road a lot. Its mainly highway so those are easy miles. My guess is that the base rotor isnt built to oem specs and is basically a "value" rotor that's drilled and slotted. As long as you get a good casting and use it in moderate driving it should be fine. Having to redo a set of brakes within a year is what frustrated me. I've gotten 80,000+ miles from a quality cross drilled rotor on my old stang that had some hard miles on it.

Ā 

Also just as a follow up, the other rotor had the same issues but not nearly as bad.

Edited by bigblock
  • Like 1