P1299 Trouble code

ernie

Hello,

I have a 2008 Edge SEL 3.5 and it recently overheated and got a P1299 code. It lists possibilities as 1. Low engine coolant, 2. Drive belt off, 3. Failed cylinder head temperature sensor. The first two are not the issue, I am trying to locate the cylinder head temperature sensor (CHT) but cannot find it. Does anyone have a diagram or know the exact location of the sensor?

Thank you so much.

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I have a 2008 Edge SEL 3.5 and it recently overheated and got a P1299 code. It lists possibilities as 1. Low engine coolant, 2. Drive belt off, 3. Failed cylinder head temperature sensor. The first two are not the issue, I am trying to locate the cylinder head temperature sensor (CHT) but cannot find it. Does anyone have a diagram or know the exact location of the sensor?

Thank you so much.

Hello, and in what way you watch mistakes? You have a device or you looked at the dealer on service? Thanks!

• 1 year later...

My Edge started missing on way to work. Managed to get it home and it died and wont restart. Had a Ford mechanic come over to check code and said CHT failure and wont allow car to fire. I have 160,000 on my 2008 Edge and this is the 1st issue with power train. I dont see much on this subject at all. Has anyone changed this and would this stop car from firing?

Apparently it is a simple sensor replacement. follow this video.

My Edge started missing on way to work. Managed to get it home and it died and wont restart. Had a Ford mechanic come over to check code and said CHT failure and wont allow car to fire. I have 160,000 on my 2008 Edge and this is the 1st issue with power train. I dont see much on this subject at all. Has anyone changed this and would this stop car from firing?

The code apparently invokes a failsafe strategy to protect the engine (since the cause of the overheat is undetermined):

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/2n2y2-correct-code-p1299-default-4-6-f-150.html

Keep in mind it could just be a sensor failure, or it could be failure of: water pump, head gasket, radiator, etc or even the engine block itself.

... the p1299 code indicates an engine overheat condition was detected by the cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor. An FMEM Strategy called Fail-safe Cooling was activated to cool the engine.

Fail-Safe Cooling Strategy

Only vehicles that have a cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor will have the fail-safe cooling strategy. This strategy is activated by the PCM only in the event that an overheating condition has been identified. This strategy provides engine temperature control when the cylinder head temperature exceeds certain limits. The cylinder head temperature is measured by the CHT sensor. For additional information, refer to PCM Inputs for a description of the CHT sensor.

A cooling system failure such as low coolant or coolant loss could cause an overheating condition. As a result, damage to major engine components could occur. Along with a CHT sensor, a special cooling strategy is used to prevent damage by allowing air cooling of the engine. The vehicle can be safely driven for a short time with some loss of performance.

Engine temperature is controlled by varying and alternating the number of disabled fuel injectors. This allows all cylinders to cool down. When the fuel injectors are disabled, their respective cylinders work as air pumps, and this air is used to cool down cylinders. The more fuel injectors that are disabled, the cooler the engine runs, but the engine has less power.

Before the fail-safe cooling strategy is activated, the instrument cluster engine coolant temperature gauge is within the hot zone and a temperature warning light comes on. If the overheating continues, the strategy begins to disable the fuel injectors, a DTC is stored in the PCM memory, and a malfunction indicator light (MIL) (either CHECK ENGINE or SERVICE ENGINE SOON), comes on. If the overheating condition continues further and a critical temperature is reached, all of the fuel injectors are turned off and the engine is disabled.

• Like 1