Interior Ambient Lighting

I am not sure if this is the most appropriate place to ask this but since the feature is controlled in MFT display it may go here. I have the ambient lighting on my Edge and every time I set the color to a color other than the light aqua blue it will change back to the aqua blue within a few weeks normally two to three. I just was wondering what may be causing this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I believe the ERROR you are seeing that got introduced with the last update back in 8/13 ( yea web site says it is new- but ...) ....is when the MFT/MLT system REBOOTS in the background ~every 20 hours of use.. ( as designed see owners manual) It unfortunately RESETS & LOCKS!

if you go to the color selector screen - you see it set to the one you choose & then real quickly it rotates & shows the grey that you saw in real life before going to menu screen .

The phone selections are also effected. The ringer for phone & ringer for text alerts changes back & doesn't retain your settings!!! IE for me voice announce is never retained!

Ford was made aware back in 8/13 when us owners first saw it after install. I guess not considered important for a HOT fix & we are all stuck with it unless Ford quietly fixes the error in background for the next release- when ever that may be????

Please confirm it. If it's true, I'll take my car to get it fixed.

This is what I remember reading about the ambient light problem and a fix. Might want to check with the Ford In Vehicle Technology Team using the contact listed at the end of the copied post. I never followed through on my 2013 Limited with the same ambient lighting problem as mentioned here.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

Hello all,

I'm Antonio. I'm new to this forum, but I'll be providing tech support for SYNC, MyFord and MyFord Touch. This erratic behavior with the ambient lighting has been documented and recognized by our Tech Hotline - the folks who provide workshop support for the on-site Ford technicians. This is an issue that needs to be investigated by your service garage; there's a data retention error in the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) that will likely require some reprogramming.

Antonio

FORD IN-VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY TEAM

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)

t: @FordService @Ford

f: facebook.com/FordEdge facebook.com/Ford

• Like 1

Good morning, everyone!

For this concern, you'll have to visit your dealership so they can determine the exact cause of this. If you've already been to your dealer and it has been documented for your vehicle, you can contact them again to see if they have a fix yet.

Rebecca

Wow, that sure is 100% off course compared to what was previously posted by an In-Vehicle Technology Team member who was at least appearing to be helpful.

This is an issue that needs to be investigated by your service garage; there's a data retention error in the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) that will likely require some reprogramming.

At least Antonio gave what he believed was the problem and a possible solution (APIM that will likely require some reprogramming). You would think with all the reports of the ambient lighting doing the same thing for so many owner's, an In-Vehicle tech could do better than saying call your dealer! Antonio posted his reply over 7 months ago! The In Vehicle Technology team couldn't research this problem to have a more owner friendly answer than call your dealer?

If Rebecca had replied that there is no known fix yet, that would have been more helpful than call your dealer! Why contact your dealer to see if they have a fix for this yet when it is FORD that would issue the fix? I would think the In Service Technology Team would be able to get answers from FORD easier than owners getting answers from service departments of dealerships.

• Like 1

:( I apologize that you feel I'm not being helpful and that my response is different than Antonio's, ls973800, but Antonio and I are not trained or certified Ford technicians and cannot speculate on what the cause is. I'm here to provide you with basic troubleshooting for SYNC, MyFord Touch, and navigation, and in this case, your Ford dealership is in the best position to investigate and/or correct this concern. Please also take a look at Antonio's previous post here (it explains that we cannot speak to TSBs or dealer "fixes"):

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/13231-ambiant-lighting-keeps-coming-back-on/?p=105318

Again, I apologize if I came across as unhelpful, that wasn't my intention.

Rebecca

• Like 1

Rebecca-Can you at least reply to my post 5 .....since I brought you into this? My assertion is that when the car reboots- this situation occurs or at least can occur.

the ambient light can change back to a default setting. Just like the phone & text ringers can reset back to a default setting.

Please confirm!

Then we can debate whether a dealer can fix the lack of memory retention when the system reboots.

Then we can debate WHY Ford does not acknowledge this issue was introduced with last update or if it a separate error.

Edited by drpepper

:( I apologize that you feel I'm not being helpful and that my response is different than Antonio's, ls973800, but Antonio and I are not trained or certified Ford technicians and cannot speculate on what the cause is. I'm here to provide you with basic troubleshooting for SYNC, MyFord Touch, and navigation, and in this case, your Ford dealership is in the best position to investigate and/or correct this concern. Please also take a look at Antonio's previous post here (it explains that we cannot speak to TSBs or dealer "fixes"):

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/13231-ambiant-lighting-keeps-coming-back-on/?p=105318

Again, I apologize if I came across as unhelpful, that wasn't my intention.

Rebecca

Rebecca, if I was a little harsh with my reply to your post, I apologize. Using the title "In-Vehicle Technology Team" sounds to me like a group of Ford employees who have actual hands on, and access to, any technology question or problem an owner might have. It also sounds like this "team" would be in the know about all things technology wise, and the latest fixes for problems, or the lack of fixes for problems. Or at least be able to go up the chain and find those answers for an owner.

Basically, this team can help with using the equipment, answer basic questions of how something is supposed to work, or advise owners to contact a dealer for more in depth questions regarding repairs, updates, fixes, etc.

I asked my dealer. This is the reply they got from Ford:

As per tech assistance: " The ambient lighting returning to default is a characteristic of software. Engineering is aware of this concern; however we do not currently have an ETA on when this lighting concern will be resolved. At this time, it is not recommended that you replace any components to try and change this operation. "

So Stand Blah Blah statement from an error that was introduced back in 8/13 from Ford's latest software update & deemed not worthy of any hot fix & may or may not be corrected & incorporated into a future release

So DONT WASTE YOUR TIME ASKING FORD OR DEALER

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue but it doesn't bother me THAT much....It just prompts me to pick a new color everytime it resets... :)

Perhaps a fix will come with the next MFT version upgrade but they want to work on a addressing more than one issue when they ready to roll it out, just a thought..

I have the same issue but it doesn't bother me THAT much....It just prompts me to pick a new color everytime it resets... :)

Perhaps a fix will come with the next MFT version upgrade but they want to work on a addressing more than one issue when they ready to roll it out, just a thought..

Finally, a voice of reason. Everyone gets so worked up about this issue. If Ford spent a bunch of time working on this issue, I'm sure everyone would be screaming about how they probably have bigger issues they should be working on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My 2-cents worth. I have a 2011 Ford Edge Limited, running the latest version of Sync. 2 things in Sync are really irritating, although there probably is no solution for either because they are not significantly important to matter.

1. Ambient lighting. Worked great for the first year. Now, I can change it to any color I want and it will stay until I turn off the car or open the door. Then it reverts back to blue everywhere except the passenger footwell, where it is purple. I like both colors, but would really like to be able to change it and make it stick!

2. Calendar. I have to admit I don't use this much, but that's probably because it has never worked. Since the upgrade, it is defaulted on January 1, 2033. If I touch the Today's date, it goes to January 1, 2010 and I can then scroll through 4 years of months to get to the current month. However, it will not stay there if the car is shut off.

Granted, neither of these are earth-shattering. However, if you are going to have a system that runs so many functions on your auto, it bloody-well should work correcty!. And don't even get me started on taking it to my Ford dealer! (Last time, I got, "It's up to date" as the response to the calendar issue).

1. Ambient lighting. Worked great for the first year. Now, I can change it to any color I want and it will stay until I turn off the car or open the door. Then it reverts back to blue everywhere except the passenger footwell, where it is purple. I like both colors, but would really like to be able to change it and make it stick!

THAT would bug the crap out of me!

• 1 year later...

Ive noticed that when I set the ambient lighting on my 2014 EDGE Sport to dim it reverts back to full brightness.

Have reset the brightness level to mid strength and after turning the engine off and restarting they are back at full brightness...is there a remember setting Im missing?

Edited by rwf78155