Seat rattle. Anyone else have this?

My passenger seat rattles intermittently more so when when I first start driving. Here are some things I've found:

It always rattles when I go around a corner to the right ( normally highway only )

If I move the seat belt buckle back and forth I can hear a popping noise from under the seat. It won't make any noise if the seat isn't rattling.

If I hit the seat back I can hear the rattle

Been to ford numerous times and all I have is more double stick foam tape on my seat track

Here's a video of what it sounds like

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G3zJpBHwu-Q

Please anyone that can help!

Thanks in advance

I have a similar rattle in my 09 Limited. I traced it to the seat mounts under the rear passenger side. I could hit the seat hard with my hand and make it rattle. Would rattle at certain times while driving down the road. Spraying WD-40 on the mounts where they connect at the top and bottom resolves it for about 6 months. Took my quite a while to trace it down. Possibly check your seat mounts on the front seat. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the issue and it has yet to be fixed. I have had it in the shop three times the fourth time will be this coming monday the 21st. I kept getting the could not replicate bs from the service department here and finally I talked to someone different at the same service department and he moved the seat around and got it to do it right away by wiggling the motor under the passenger seat. He stated that some brackets were missing and it would be replaced under warranty. They ordered parts and 3 weeks later had me bring the Edge back in for the third and hopefully final time they said they would have to replace the whole seat track and motor under warranty. Two days later after they diagnosed it they called back and said they couldn't fix it because it wasn't making the noise but they said they tightened everything up (yeah right). I drove it for about three more weeks and right before I left on a long trip it started rattling again -_- I was livid. I brought it back to the dealer that day and demanded the service person I had been working with come with me for a drive. He did and now he finally heard it. I felt it should have been brought in immediately to have it fixed but they didn't have an opening. I made an appointment and then contacted ford customer service through here and our regional customer support person has been so helpful. I have a feeling that after this time on the 21st it will finally get fixed. I will say that after this issue is resolved it is the last time I will go to this service department. I would rather make a 30 mile drive to a smaller dealer than deal with the incompetent service managers at this place. I will flat out tell them that they are going to keep the car until it is fixed (luckily i get a loaner car and have each time i have taken it in hopefully I'll get another F-150).

My passenger seat rattles intermittently more so when when I first start driving. Here are some things I've found:

It always rattles when I go around a corner to the right ( normally highway only )

If I move the seat belt buckle back and forth I can hear a popping noise from under the seat. It won't make any noise if the seat isn't rattling.

If I hit the seat back I can hear the rattle

Been to ford numerous times and all I have is more double stick foam tape on my seat track

Here's a video of what it sounds like

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G3zJpBHwu-Q

Please anyone that can help!

Thanks in advance

Hey rwade434,

I’d like to get a bit more info from you. Which model year is your Edge and what’s the current mileage?

I’ll take a look.

I have a similar rattle in my 09 Limited. I traced it to the seat mounts under the rear passenger side. I could hit the seat hard with my hand and make it rattle. Would rattle at certain times while driving down the road. Spraying WD-40 on the mounts where they connect at the top and bottom resolves it for about 6 months. Took my quite a while to trace it down. Possibly check your seat mounts on the front seat. Just a thought.

Evh,

Is your Edge still experiencing this symptom and has it been diagnosed at your local Ford Dealer? Also, what’s the current mileage? I'll be glad to look into this for you and explore possible options!

I have the issue and it has yet to be fixed. I have had it in the shop three times the fourth time will be this coming monday the 21st. I kept getting the could not replicate bs from the service department here and finally I talked to someone different at the same service department and he moved the seat around and got it to do it right away by wiggling the motor under the passenger seat. He stated that some brackets were missing and it would be replaced under warranty. They ordered parts and 3 weeks later had me bring the Edge back in for the third and hopefully final time they said they would have to replace the whole seat track and motor under warranty. Two days later after they diagnosed it they called back and said they couldn't fix it because it wasn't making the noise but they said they tightened everything up (yeah right). I drove it for about three more weeks and right before I left on a long trip it started rattling again -_- I was livid. I brought it back to the dealer that day and demanded the service person I had been working with come with me for a drive. He did and now he finally heard it. I felt it should have been brought in immediately to have it fixed but they didn't have an opening. I made an appointment and then contacted ford customer service through here and our regional customer support person has been so helpful. I have a feeling that after this time on the 21st it will finally get fixed. I will say that after this issue is resolved it is the last time I will go to this service department. I would rather make a 30 mile drive to a smaller dealer than deal with the incompetent service managers at this place. I will flat out tell them that they are going to keep the car until it is fixed (luckily i get a loaner car and have each time i have taken it in hopefully I'll get another F-150).

tamugrad2013,

Glad to learn that you made it back safely from your trip. Please let me know how it goes at the dealer on the 21st.

I’ll be here if ya'll need me.

Have a great day guys! :)

Tricia

Had the same issue with my rear passenger side seat. Was rattling and i can duplicate it by hitting the seat. I checked the seat mount, found that there is some space between the mount and the ground, put some foam tape to fill in the gap and totally got rid of the clicking rattle noise. Not sure if its the same issue but doesn't hurt to check

• 4 weeks later...

Ford service

Mine is a 2011 limited. 30k miles on it, it's been having this problem since about 18k. Ford replaced the buckle 7 months ago and it was good for a few weeks but the noise came back. It's rattling like hell again this morning, if I hold the seatback it stops rattling. Also the noise will be gone by the afternoon once the car sits in the sun and warms up ( this makes it hard to get it to the dealer and them able to reproduce the noise )

I did get the car there and was able to duplicate the noise by hitting the seat back, the service mgr said he would do some research and call me. 2 weeks and no call. I called and he said I needed to drop it off so they can strip the seat down and no loaner car available. Can't they just swap out the seat. I've had this problem for 10 months and it's enough to drive me crazy, watch my video.

• 2 months later...

My rear passenger side seat had a similar noise to the recorded one. Hit the seat back and it would do the Tick Tick rattle noise. I used silicone spray in the hinge and the noise went away. This is about 3 weeks ago and the noise hasn't come back yet. Try reclining the seat at a different angle. If the noise changes it may help you find the cause. My rear seat was quiet when I lifted up the recline handle slightly.

Edited by PaulSchott

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, Rwade434 - I have this EXACT same sound coming from the same location - somewhere near the base of the seat between the center console and the seat - it also only occurs when the temp is around 40 degrees or colder. I can make it rattle all day by gently shaking or tapping the seat. If I push on the seat a little bit from the driver's side, the rattle will stop. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with the seat belt.

Did you ever get any resolution? It's been driving me nuts since about 18k miles also-- now it's a couple years later and about 65,000 miles... rattle is getting worse. Dealer hasn't been able to reliably reproduce the sound - and are now starting the "well, it's been a long time, you're out of warranty" etc etc BS response... they have it documented that I brought it in for this rattle at 18k and are still giving me the run-around.

If I had to describe it, it sounds like a coin is stuck in the mechanism somewhere. I've searched and searched and haven't found anything that seems to rattle or make any sound similar. I've tried all reclined, not reclined, forward, backward etc seat positions. Same sound.

2011 Edge Limited with power seats etc.. Same as yours. I've researched the TSB for the creaking sound... 10-17-06 that's been posted in other threads on this forum. I don't think this is the same issue.

It's driving me nuts. If it's at all related to the seat tracks (which are being recalled for other Ford vehicles) Ford needs to step back up to the table and make this right for Edge owners.

Many issues with Ford seats - the drivers seats have been known to rock a little back and forth. Getting back to this issue, I have the same issue with my back seat. The dealer looked at it and said it was an old empty soda can that got stuck back there and removed it. Soon as I pulled out of the lot I immediately heard it again. So much for the rattling soda can issue. I had someone else drive the car while I was back there on the floor - NO RATTLE. I had my daughter who is much smaller than me also go back there and kneel on the floor while in motion - NO RATTLE. Its something I hear everyday. I dont have time for these annoyances, Sad to say that I will let the next owner deal with it.

I live in MN. It's been below freezing now for almost a week. I spent a little time last night hunting around for the source of the rattle/click noise.

I took some cell phone photos but unfortunately it was too dark and they are useless. I'll try to get some more with better light possibly today.

I tracked the sound down to the area of the bolts that go through the floor of the vehicle (seat track bolts). When I bump/wiggle the seat, the clicking/rattle sound can be easily reproduced and when you put your finger on those bolts, you can feel the vibration come right through. Slide the seat forward a couple inches and look in from the passenger-rear door and you can see the heads of those bolts in the track.

Unfortunately, it is now winter in MN and the ground in the garage is covered in slushy snow/ice/water so I wasn't super eager to climb under to see what I can see.

Others that have the same rattle - can you reproduce these results? Sounds like the same seat track issue the F150 and Flex were having by the sounds of the description in the recall.

Try reading my fix in interior. do a search for seat rattle. The tick tick rattle is in the ratchet hinge adjuster. WD40 sprayed in liberal amounts solved it Nicest part, it is all fixed inside the car no need to crawl under in the winter. Oh yeah, this is for the rear seats. I have done both sides.

Edited by PaulSchott

Thanks Paul, I actually saw your post... It prompted me to spend some time with a piece of tubing stuck in my ear and holding the other end up to all of the key moving parts in the seat assembly. I can pretty much 100% say that it's coming from the point where the seat track bolts go through the floor of the car. After reading a lot about the issues on the other Ford seat track issues, I think it is one in the same. Now to get Ford to go along with it and agree to do something about it.

I have a can of silicone spray that is the same spec as the Ford FSM says to use on seats... which also is used in the TSB for similar seat rattles/squeaks on other model years. I may try to use it but if there's something at fault with the seat track bolts/assembly, I'd really prefer not to squelch the problem by spraying it down... mainly so Ford is entirely on the hook to fix it.

We'll see how it goes. Ford has claimed that they can't replicate it. In MN 3 tries at the dealer with the same problem equals a lemon.