Hi guys, my 2011 limited AWD had sunroof problem today: it opened well, but it closed in slower than normal and stops at certain point,then opened little. If I try to close it again, it moved forward little bit, and backward more. It looks it dose not have enought torque to close. But computer to conduct a opening because it is hard to close. What wrong? Why? How tofix this?

This was just recently discussed. Lubricating the rails etc should help resolve the problem.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/14977-moonroof-sunshade-stopped-working/?do=findComment&comment=114606

I dont think so. I read another thread here talking about re-initialization, I think it is roof stops at wrong spot. I need to know how to do it exactly.

Here is the topic on this forum for the re-initialization. http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/5259-sunroof-initialization/

It may work for you, but note that the same thing happened to me and re-initialization would not do it, and eventually got stuck in the open position.

The dealer lubricated it, then told me they were going to have to disassemble the roof and changed the motor, but lubricated it again (or a different part) and it solved the problem. From memory, i think the sunroof has to close completely within 8 sec to be within spec.

With everyone having issues, It seems to me that lubricating the sunroof rails should be part of a scheduled maintenance (once every year, or two year maybe) for proper operation.

Here is the topic on this forum for the re-initialization. http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/5259-sunroof-initialization/

It may work for you, but note that the same thing happened to me and re-initialization would not do it, and eventually got stuck in the open position.

The dealer lubricated it, then told me they were going to have to disassemble the roof and changed the motor, but lubricated it again (or a different part) and it solved the problem. From memory, i think the sunroof has to close completely within 8 sec to be within spec.

With everyone having issues, It seems to me that lubricating the sunroof rails should be part of a scheduled maintenance (once every year, or two year maybe) for proper operation.

Thanks for your reply.

The link you put here I read already. There are a few confusions regarding re-initialization steps, for example, it said to press switch during whole process, but in each step it says "press and release", so what I should do? hold or press/release? what "press"means? because to close window you should "pull down" switch, and to open you do "press up", I think English is not very good in that description. not clear.

I can't tell you from experience, but here is the initialization process, copy/pasted from the 2011 Ford Edge Workshop manual. The language may be clearer.

ROOF OPENING PANEL MOTOR INITIALIZATION

NOTE: New roof opening panel glass motor/shade motors must be initialized after installation.
NOTE: A de-initialized glass or shade motor will stutter step open when operated from the roof opening panel control switch.

1. Start the engine.

2. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch until the sliding glass panel is in the fully CLOSED position. Release the control switch.

3. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch until the sunshade panels are in the fully CLOSED position. Release the control switch.

4. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch (for at least 21 seconds).

For a new drive assembly, the sliding glass panel will move toward the front hard-stop, stall and then move backward a few millimeters and then forward.

For an existing drive assembly, the sliding glass panel will move toward the front hard-stop and stall.

The sunshade panels will move toward their front hard-stops, stall, move back a few millimeters, then forward.

After the sunshade panels have finished moving backward and forward, release the roof opening panel control switch.

5. NOTE: The roof opening panel control switch must be held during the entire initialization process or the sequence will be aborted and the roof will remain in a de-initialized state.

Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch.

The sliding glass panel and sunshades will fully open together. Then, the sliding glass panel will close first and then the sunshades will return to the fully CLOSED position. When the sunshades have stopped moving, release the roof opening panel control switch.

6. Initialization is now complete. Verify successful initialization by carrying out one-touch open, one-touch close, one-touch vent (glass) and one-touch open for the shades.

If roof opening panel does not operate correctly, repeat Steps 2 through 5.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't tell you from experience, but here is the initialization process, copy/pasted from the 2011 Ford Edge Workshop manual. The language may be clearer.

ROOF OPENING PANEL MOTOR INITIALIZATION

NOTE: New roof opening panel glass motor/shade motors must be initialized after installation.

NOTE: A de-initialized glass or shade motor will stutter step open when operated from the roof opening panel control switch.

1. Start the engine.

2. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch until the sliding glass panel is in the fully CLOSED position. Release the control switch.

3. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch until the sunshade panels are in the fully CLOSED position. Release the control switch.

4. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch (for at least 21 seconds).

For a new drive assembly, the sliding glass panel will move toward the front hard-stop, stall and then move backward a few millimeters and then forward.

For an existing drive assembly, the sliding glass panel will move toward the front hard-stop and stall.

The sunshade panels will move toward their front hard-stops, stall, move back a few millimeters, then forward.

After the sunshade panels have finished moving backward and forward, release the roof opening panel control switch.

5. NOTE: The roof opening panel control switch must be held during the entire initialization process or the sequence will be aborted and the roof will remain in a de-initialized state.

Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch.

The sliding glass panel and sunshades will fully open together. Then, the sliding glass panel will close first and then the sunshades will return to the fully CLOSED position. When the sunshades have stopped moving, release the roof opening panel control switch.

6. Initialization is now complete. Verify successful initialization by carrying out one-touch open, one-touch close, one-touch vent (glass) and one-touch open for the shades.

If roof opening panel does not operate correctly, repeat Steps 2 through 5.

Do you think step 2, 3 are conflict with step 5? what means to hold down switch during whole process? then ask to hold down and release in step 2 and 3?

With regards to the step 5 note:

Sorry for the mass confusion, but it is copy/pasted exactly from the repair manual

My understanding is that the note only applies to step 5, meaning that the roof opening control switch must be held from the beginning of step 5 (sliding glass and sunshade moves together) to the end of step 5 (sunshades return to fully close position). The sun roof will go through different step in that process, but it have to be held down until the sunshade is fully closed again.

I believe all steps are to be followed on their own, releasing the control switch every time it is mentioned to release it. in step 2, 3 and 4. If you look at the steps carefully, you will notice that they always start with: "Pull and hold the roof opening control switch" and always end with : "release the control switch"

I can't test it right now, but let us know if it works or not.

Do you think step 2, 3 are conflict with step 5? what means to hold down switch during whole process? then ask to hold down and release in step 2 and 3?

Sorry for the mass confusion, but it is copy/pasted exactly from the repair manual

My understanding is that the note only applies to step 5, meaning that the roof opening control switch must be held from the beginning of step 5 (sliding glass and sunshade moves together) to the end of step 5 (sunshades return to fully close position). The sun roof will go through different step in that process, but it have to be held down until the sunshade is fully closed again.

I believe all steps are to be followed on their own, releasing the control switch every time it is mentioned to release it. in step 2, 3 and 4. If you look at the steps carefully, you will notice that they always start with: "Pull and hold the roof opening control switch" and always end with : "release the control switch"

I can concur, I tried it yesterday on my 2011 MKX (Updated switch) and the note applied to point 5. So you follow each step separately (you will have to release the switch between steps) & when you reach step 5, both Glass+Shade will fully open together at the same time & then fully close together (unlike usual operation).

I can concur, I tried it yesterday on my 2011 MKX (Updated switch) and the note applied to point 5. So you follow each step separately (you will have to release the switch between steps) & when you reach step 5, both Glass+Shade will fully open together at the same time & then fully close together (unlike usual operation).

Thanks for your kind answer. I will post my result when I done on my car. It was done by somebody a month ago. He did it by accidentally because he did not know what exact to do but got roof closed. Then yesterday I could not close it again. I did not do anything yet until I get information here.

Thanks for your kind answer. I will post my result when I done on my car. It was done by somebody a month ago. He did it by accidentally because he did not know what exact to do but got roof closed. Then yesterday I could not close it again. I did not do anything yet until I get information here.

It is strange thing. I wanted to try this method but I can not believe I closed window. Last time I could not close it when I tried several times in different days. I dony know why this happen. Window closed so I did not go through initialization process. I will see what happen again.

• 1 year later...

Just experienced the same issue of the Vista Roof not closing all the way on a certified pre-owned 2009 Ford Edge SEL. Fabric would close but the glass only shut a few inches. What a nightmare! Ford should do a recall on these, however unfortunately the likely hood of that is slim. If it was not for the extended warranty (which cost an arm & a leg) I would be dishing out $1000. Both of the motors and the wiring harness had to be replaced & initialized. 13 days later at our local Ford Service department I get the vehicle back & notice they did not grease the track what so ever. Seriously 13 days later. The motor seemed sluggish from day one. Almost did not purchase because it seemed like an issue at 35,000 miles. (Went out at 60,000 miles.) Looked at 3 other Ford Edge's that same day & noticed all the sunroof motors were sluggish. Anyone considering to purchase a Ford Edge with Vista Roof please reconsider one without the sunroof unless Ford does a recall. No one should have to pay for what clearly seems to be a faulty product. I say this as a loyal and strictly Ford owner since 2002. (1995 Lightning) Please educate yourself before making any kind of purchase of this nature. As someone stated on this forum we need to stick together... so we are not the ones getting stuck.

• 1 year later...

I have a two month old 2015 Edge Titanium, and I've only put on 2000 miles, and had to come to the forum to search this when my vista roof failed Sunday, just before we got our first rain in L.A. I ended up having to brute force the roof closed, and am not 100% sure what to do with it. I guess I need to take it in, but I can't be without the car for 13 days(!). I just put on Mact's maintenance video, but that's something I would consider doing myself if this was 2030 and I just bought the car used. Part of the reason I bought a NEW car was so it would JUST WORK, and I wouldn't have to taker things apart myself.

I'm loving the car, but I love driving with the sunroof open. This is a major league bummer. And I'm with lpgao. I think we speak different languages, but those initialization instructions barely make sense to me. I honestly have no idea what I'm supposed to do in Step 4.

If you guys don't want to be without your vehicle while a sunroof is fixed, I'd recommend NOT buying a vehicle with a big ass moonroof next time around. We own extra vehicles that we can drive if the Edge had to be fixed, so I figured I'd take a chance with the BAMR on ours. So far, so good. I cleaned and lubed it when we got it used, and we rarely open the glass. Typically we just open the shade for the light/view. Baby girl in the back seat likes to look through the roof while we drive.

Devon,

if your 2015 edge is only two months old, the lubrication may not be the culprit. This happens when dirt and dust get in the track after a long exposure to the elements. I would get the dealer to get it inspected and identify the problem.

The initialization instructions posted were for 2007 models and up to 2014 (i.e. not for the current edge model), and may not apply to your model (same with the sunroof lubrication video). I am pretty sure the sunroof changed, but not sure to what extent.

Honestly, if your vehicle is still under warranty as it should. I would not even tinker with it. Bring it to the dealer and let them do the work. I don't understand why you would be without the car for 13 days. The worst I was quoted (for replacing the sunroof motor) was 2 day of work, but in the end they just ended up lubricating the rails, and it worked (kinda wish they had replaced the motor, since it was still under warranty at the time).

If the dealer doesn't offer a courtesy car for the duration of the repairs, (especially for a 2 month old car), then I would go to another dealer, I assume there are tons of Ford dealer in L.A.. You have no obligations to get warranty work done at the dealer that sold you the car.

I ended up having to lubricate the roof on my 2011 edge every year, but your experience may differ. I live in Canada and ice and snow gets in the track in winter and dust and pollen in the summer. Not a good recipe for the poor grease in the sunroof's track.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

reinitialize worked for my first edge limited but my second one I was outside for 4 hours no luck. However I had to take my first one back to the dealer to get it reinitialize. I noticed this problem on a few when I test drove them. Once I get it closed I wont open it again it's not worth the hassle.