My new Edge... Frustrating experience so far

Nicknack

I bought a used 2011 Edge Limited with a little over 36k miles on it about a month ago. It's less than three years old but unfortunately the mileage is over 36k. I have admired the Edge for years and was incredibly excited when I finally had an opportunity to purchase one. However, my excitement has turned to disappointment and frustration.

I have had my Edge in for service two times to deal with a headlamp issue, MFT problem, and a couple of other things. This isn't to mention another issue that I STILL need to have explored which is a low roar which appears to be coming from the rear of the vehicle. This weekend, as I pulled out of my neighborhood, I heard a clunk and then the ac went out. A couple minutes later I got a message to check the charging system. Last night I ran over the the gas station (just a 5 mile trip) and while coming home, I got some kind of message that the electrical components (i.e. MFT) were going to turn off due to the charging system issue.

My wife is ready to toss in the towel. She thinks we ought to just take our loss and get out of this vehicle now rather than putting more cash into it. Surprisingly, I still really like my Edge but due to all of the issues, I'm starting to question whether it's worth it to continue with this vehicle. I've already invested $1,500 at the dealership (and that's just in three weeks with a vehicle that JUST came off warranty). Now I have to take it back in to deal with the ac / charging system issue. Once that is done, then I STILL have that rear noise issue to resolve. I love the Edge but this isn't at all what I was expecting.

My wife drove me to work today while we figure out what we intend to do. Ugh!

Edited by Nicknack

Man, sorry to hear about the troubles you are experiencing! Not sure on the A/C issue (may just be low on refrigerant?), but sounds like you need a rear wheel bearing and a new battery. Dying/bad batteries can cause all kinds of electrical problems. I bet a new battery would take care of the MFT issues as well.

What headlamp issue are/were you having? Did you get it resolved?

No extended warranty?

I appreciate your reply. I wanted to purchase an extended warranty, but was quoted roughly $2,400 by my local dealer which is more than I can afford or justify. Flood Ford had a reasonable 5 yr ESP for a little less than a grand. However, because I have 37,000 miles on my vehicle (even though it is only 2 1/2 year old), they would not offer me it.

The headlamp was fixed. The dealer first told me that I would have to replace it which would cost approximately $400. When I brought it in a week later for another repair, they examined it again and found that it was a wiring issue which they resolved. The MFT was fixed as well; fortunately it is still under warranty.

If it needs a new battery, that will seem odd to me because I remember looking at the carfax when purchasing the vehicle and the original battery was replaced around 15k miles or so.

Edited by Nicknack

It just keeps getting worse! I decided to take it into the dealership (rather than my local mechanic) on my way to work this morning. When I stopped for gas, just two miles from home, it wouldn't start. I had to call roadside assistance and they towed it to the dealership. I anticipate a costly fix that is probably related to the alternator.

I decided to take it to the dealership rather than my local mechanic (who does great work for a very fair price) because I was hoping that Ford might step up and assist since I've spent over $1,500 so far on a vehicle that is only 2 1/2 years old and just 1,500 miles out of warranty. I called Monday morning and told someone would get back to me within 48 hours. Therefore, my wife has had to take me to and from work every day (35 minutes each direction) while she works the opposite direction... a big hassle to say the least. It wasn't until today (3 days later) that the regional customer service rep called me to only say that there was nothing she could do because my vehicle was out of warranty.

It didn't seem to matter that the car was JUST out of warranty and has had over $1,500 worth of repairs so far and more is coming with the recent charging system issue. Then there is the rear sound issue that still needs to be resolved. I get the fact that the car is out of warranty, but this is not standing behind your product whatsoever.

My wife had a VUE and it was several thousand miles out of warranty last year. She had a hefty repair so she called GM to see if they would help. Help they sure did... they covered the diagnostic fee and about half of the expense of the repair. They even made the calls to get the car scheduled at our local dealer. THAT is standing behind your product. I would understand if my Edge was several thousand miles out of warranty, but it's only 2 1/2 years old and has only 37,500 miles. I'm very frustrated with a vehicle that I really want to like but it's gettting more and more difficult due to the expense and time that it has been at the shop.

Edited by Nicknack

I just don't understand someone who knowingly decides not to buy the extended warranty and then complains when something isn't covered. You gambled and lost. Alternators and batteries are easy to diagnose and change and not that expensive.

Ford used to do AWAs (After Warranty Adjustment) but not much any more. I'd also bet the GM dealer ate part of that repair cost.

• Like 1

Well, I guess we can agree to disagree. Asking a manufacturer to assist when a new owner has signficant issues with a vehicle JUST out of warranty I don't believe is asking too much. They certainly aren't obligated, I get that. However, it would go along way if they did. They would likely have a repeat customer. How GM handled the issue was outstanding and it wasn't the dealer, it was GM that "ate" the repair cost. By the way, I actually tried to purchase an extended warranty but I bought the vehicle at the 36,600 mark.

I'd keep pursuing with Ford Customer Service and ask for a different rep or their manager this time. Try a different dealer, maybe a friend can refer you to a good one. Dealers can also make things happen when customers cannot.

If that doesn't work out, consult an attorney to see what options you have. Not sure the lemon law would apply?

Yes, a different dealer might get a different result. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice if Ford covered it, and they have done that in the past.

So it was already out of warranty when you bought it?

Sorry, but the dealer offered you an extended warranty and you chose not to buy it, so it's hard for me to have any sympathy.

Look at it this way - you're still $900 ahead.

I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm looking for Ford to step up and assist. If they choose not to do so, then that's certainly well within their right. However, there are countless examples of companies that do (when they don't have to) and what they get as a result is a customer for life. Sometimes it just makes good business sense and the right thing to do. Again, we're not talking about a vehicle that is a year out of warranty.

I do many things in my business affairs to help clients that I don't technicially "have" to do. I do it because I feel like the customer deserves my support and that's how I build my reputation.

I can understand your frustration, I recently bought a used Lincoln MKT. I drove it for 2 weeks and it's now been in the shop for over 3 weeks. But at least it's still under full warranty (that was a big consideration in my purchase, the fact that it still had 1 year of warranty remaining).

But to use the logic that goodwill makes a "customer for life", while stating that GM gave you goodwill last year yet you bought a Ford this year, doesn't really make a good point.

Neither you nor Ford know the history of your Edge. Neither of you know if the issues it's having are really "manufacturing defects" or a result of abuse by the previous owner.

There's a reason used cars are cheaper than new cars - it's because they have a much higher risk or requiring repairs. If you're having wiring issues with headlights, batteries dying every 15-20K miles, it sounds like your car had some kind of poorly installed aftermarket equipment when it was with the previous owner. It would be unreasonable for Ford to step up and cover repair costs for that.

You're right in that I only have a limited understanding concerning the history of my Edge. Although I do know that it's still a Ford automobile. Ford also doesn't really know the complete history of your vehicle either, but it is still being serviced at the shop under warranty. As for batteries dying every 15-20k, that hasn't happened (the battery has been replaced only once). My recent issue (just found out last night from the dealer) has nothing to do with the battery which is what I originally thought. It has to do with the power steering belt.

I'd keep pursuing with Ford Customer Service and ask for a different rep or their manager this time. Try a different dealer, maybe a friend can refer you to a good one. Dealers can also make things happen when customers cannot.

If that doesn't work out, consult an attorney to see what options you have. Not sure the lemon law would apply?

Thanks for the mention, WWWPerfA_ZN0W.

You’re a great team player!

I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm looking for Ford to step up and assist. If they choose not to do so, then that's certainly well within their right. However, there are countless examples of companies that do (when they don't have to) and what they get as a result is a customer for life. Sometimes it just makes good business sense and the right thing to do. Again, we're not talking about a vehicle that is a year out of warranty.

I do many things in my business affairs to help clients that I don't technicially "have" to do. I do it because I feel like the customer deserves my support and that's how I build my reputation.

Nicknack,

I’d like to look into this further. Is your vehicle currently at the dealer? If so, please provide the new dealer’s name and address.

Also, PM the following: your full name, VIN, a detailed description of vehicle symptoms to relay to the customer service manager, mileage, and best daytime phone number.

Once this info is received I’ll loop in a CSM in your region.

Have a great day! :)

Tricia

• Like 1

I'm no mechanic so I don't really know. They told me that the belt is why I was having problems with the charging system which apparently impacts the ac. I will find out more when the dealership decides to finally call me back. The only person who I've talked with so far is the secretary who got the info from the mechanic working on my vehicle.

The belt runs the power steering, the A/C and the alternator, so it's usually all or nothing. Good news is that is should be fairly cheap to fix and will likely fix most of your problems at once. (the roar noise is likely a wheel bearing, that shouldn't be too expensive either).

• Like 1

You Sir seem to lack all qualities and subjectivity of a moderator if I do say so myself.

I am very objective when it comes to moderating the forum. This has nothing whatsoever to do with moderation. Being a moderator does not change my personal opinions.

I actually moderated myself by removing my more argumentative posts, so there goes that theory.

But to use the logic that goodwill makes a "customer for life", while stating that GM gave you goodwill last year yet you bought a Ford this year, doesn't really make a good point.

Neither you nor Ford know the history of your Edge. Neither of you know if the issues it's having are really "manufacturing defects" or a result of abuse by the previous owner.

There's a reason used cars are cheaper than new cars - it's because they have a much higher risk or requiring repairs. If you're having wiring issues with headlights, batteries dying every 15-20K miles, it sounds like your car had some kind of poorly installed aftermarket equipment when it was with the previous owner. It would be unreasonable for Ford to step up and cover repair costs for that.

This was exactly my point, just stated more objectively.

I got your point(s) loud and clear. ;)

As for what you quote "Neither of you know if the issues it's having are really "manufacturing defects" or a result of abuse by the previous owner"... Ford wouldn't know that about a one owner vehicle either. Whether it was previously owned by 15 people or by one, only the people who drove that car truly know (not Ford).

Also, my batteries aren't dying every 15-20k miles as previously mentioned and there is no aftermarket equipment installed. Therefore, those assumptions are false and that last paragraph, while makes sense if true, doesn't apply in my case.

As for the GM comment, my wife's next car will likely be an Acadia but we are a couple years off from that happening (hopefully). Therefore, she will likely stay with GM. I have been a big fan of Ford over the years. I've owned a Mustang and Taurus and had good success with those two vehicles. My Dad is on his second Explorer which is a big reason I have had my eyes on the Edge for years now (being that the interior is now very similar which I love).

Edited by Nicknack