Wheel bearing?

Shadrack

Has anyone had a bad wheel bearing go down with 30k miles??

We bought our 2013 Ford Edge Sport with 23k miles a few months ago. LOVE it, but we drove it to the beach and back and we've noticed several issues arise over the trip it seems like, it now has 30k miles on it.

There is a distinct howl/growl coming from the front end, it's the loudest at 40-45mph. Very noticeable at 70mph interstate driving (sounds like severe road noise). Anyone else had this issue? Thought it may be the stock 22" Pirrelli's (they are junk tires, IMO) but after rotating, the noise has not changed. It also pulls fairly hard to the right as well.

Also, the sync system has had a critical error message and shut down the other day, and also on my last oil change, I noticed quite a bit of oil residue around the PTU seal. I called a friend that works for Ford and he is scheduling it for a closer look before the 36k mile warranty is up. Just wonder if anyone has had sync issues, wheel bearing, and PTU leak at 30k miles? I hope this isn't a sign to come. If the PTU has to be taken out, I'd love to be able to install a fill/drain plug in it somehow like the thread on here, but I know that wont happen at a Ford dealer.

Edited by Shadrack

• 5 months later...

hi! have you addressed your wheel noise issue?

my edge just turned 40k and I am experiencing the same (I believe) thing. I didnt even realise how loud my car became lately until I drove MKX... it is just madness - this rotation noise gets bit louder when I break - dealer told me it is definitelly tires (22" pirelli), but I couldnt disagree more - the tires visually look perfect and there is still 6mm thread left on them. Wheel bearing? Or something else?

I would say bearing, but so few miles to really consider a bearing. Wheel bearings make noise based on speed and comes and goes with turning while driving down the highway. Rule of thumb is if you have to turn the radio up to hear it then it is a wheel bearing. At least this has been true for my Edge. I have replaced 6 so far.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started regularly rotating my wheels ... the noise problem is kinda solved - at least the most irritating humming is gone now. But every 10k km I cycle all wheels clockwise. I did it twice so far and I am happy with this so far, but my tires will need a replacement soon...

Edited by arabski

• 4 months later...