Front right wheel grinding

mobrien118

Hi,

I have a 2011 Edge (FWD) and the front right wheel grinds when making a left-hand turn. Actually, it's been getting worse for the past 6 months and now it makes *some* noise when going straight (faint, though).

The grinding is relative to speed and the amount of turning and happens consistently. I have checked the brakes several times and there is plenty of meat on the pads and the calipers are engaging and releasing as normal.

I assume this would be caused by a bearing going bad, but I just wanted to verify that this is the correct diagnosis.

If that is the case, can anyone tell me what a typical cost for repair would be? Does it include replacement of the hub assembly or just bearing and are there any other recommended repairs that are either related or should just be done in conjunction?

Finally, is the repair difficult to do or does it require any special tools? I'm pretty handy, but time and risk are factors for me these days.

Thanks,

--mobrien118

I have a 2011 Edge (FWD) and the front right wheel grinds when making a left-hand turn. Actually, it's been getting worse for the past 6 months and now it makes *some* noise when going straight (faint, though).

The grinding is relative to speed and the amount of turning and happens consistently. I have checked the brakes several times and there is plenty of meat on the pads and the calipers are engaging and releasing as normal.

Good morning, mobrien118!

Have you been to your Ford Dealer for this concern? You may locate one here. If you're looking to do the repairs yourself, check out Ford Parts.

I'm here if you have questions.

Todd

The whole reason I use these forums is to *avoid* calling a mechanic, and *especially* avoid going to the dealership!! lol

(sorry, Ford representative, I have had *much* better results fixing it myself then when I take it in for repairs, go ahead and ask me for examples)

I'm basically trying to figure out if this is a known and/or epidemic issue (as most usually are, like my "door ajar" switch wearing out for the second time)

If it is not a typical issue and/or if nobody can contribute to me troubleshooting and solving this myself, I will then have to weigh the options of going deeper myself or paying a mechanic.

Sorry for all of the negativity. You caught me on a Monday morning.

Thanks,

--mobrien118

The whole reason I use these forums is to *avoid* calling a mechanic, and *especially* avoid going to the dealership!! lol

(sorry, Ford representative, I have had *much* better results fixing it myself then when I take it in for repairs, go ahead and ask me for examples)

Sorry for all of the negativity. You caught me on a Monday morning.

No worries, and definitely no need to apologize, mobrien118. I have thick skin. ;) Don't forget to take a peek at Ford Parts and Ford Accessories.

Have an awesome day!

Todd