high pitch whine

lakeman

Have 2007 SEL with tow pakage. From the very first day we noticed a low volume, high frequency whine radomly going on and off. At first I thought it was a replay of my F150. The whine comes on at any speed, even standing idle. Only lasts several seconds. Not exactly anoying but curious as to what it is.

Have 2007 SEL with tow pakage. From the very first day we noticed a low volume, high frequency whine radomly going on and off. At first I thought it was a replay of my F150. The whine comes on at any speed, even standing idle. Only lasts several seconds. Not exactly anoying but curious as to what it is.

Is your Edge Red or Black?

My Blazing Copper SEL+ makes a Whine also but I have never noticed it at Idle only while accelerating. I call it my Blower. That V6 is pretty peppy, maybe yours has a blower also. I believe mine is actually Torque Converter whine but it wouldn't do that at idle. I don't think it would anyway. Hell I'm no mechanic what do I know. Maybe it's 07 MKX's wife!!

Come to think of it when my wife is not in the vehicle I don't hear that whine at all. Holy Whiners Batman I got it, it's my wife.

You know what would make my wife the perfect woman? A piece of Duct Tape and 8 inches long. Just kidding I still love the Old Girl!

My Blazing Copper SEL+ makes a Whine also but I have never noticed it at Idle only while accelerating. I call it my Blower. That V6 is pretty peppy, maybe yours has a blower also. I believe mine is actually Torque Converter whine but it wouldn't do that at idle. I don't think it would anyway. Hell I'm no mechanic what do I know. Maybe it's 07 MKX's wife!!

Come to think of it when my wife is not in the vehicle I don't hear that whine at all. Holy Whiners Batman I got it, it's my wife.

You know what would make my wife the perfect woman? A piece of Duct Tape and 8 inches long. Just kidding I still love the Old Girl!

You sound whipped!!!! You Old boy......

My Edge started to whine around 1000 miles. I first noticed it on the highway, it would start a high pitch whine around 70mph if I dropped my speed to 65mph it would go away. I am sorry to say, it's now at every speed and while idling. As you can imagine the technician can't hear it!! all I get is this blank look when explaining the sound. Any ideas on what it could be???

My Edge started to whine around 1000 miles. I first noticed it on the highway, it would start a high pitch whine around 70mph if I dropped my speed to 65mph it would go away. I am sorry to say, it's now at every speed and while idling. As you can imagine the technician can't hear it!! all I get is this blank look when explaining the sound. Any ideas on what it could be???

probably low on blinker fluid..

Is it a red Edge???

Edited by carbonedge+

My 2007 AWD Edge has had a "whine" between 40-45 mph since I got it in March. The Dealer agreed it was a whine. They recently changed the Power Transfer Unit with instructions from Technical Service Bulliten 07-11-13. Unfortunately I still have the "whine"!!!

Any thoughts or information would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...

I didn't want to add to this post because I hate that whine. But I notice when I start to accelerate really fast not flooring it. I would hear the whining noise that you guyz are referring to. I don't hear it on idle though. But its def.ly something there. But like the other guy said..maybe its a unmentioned feature..lol.

• 2 weeks later...
My 2007 AWD Edge has had a "whine" between 40-45 mph since I got it in March. The Dealer agreed it was a whine. They recently changed the Power Transfer Unit with instructions from Technical Service Bulliten 07-11-13. Unfortunately I still have the "whine"!!!

Any thoughts or information would be appreciated.

I bought a 2007 Ford Certified Edge from a dealer. Mine had 18,800 miles when purchased. I noticed a whine from day one. After a leak in transmission fluid developed at 21,000 miles, the dealer replaced the Power Take Off (PTO) unit. It stopped the leak, but not the whine.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I put my comment on this on the Service link. My 2008 Edge also has the high pitched whine/noise. Its actually the fuel pump (and confirmed it with the Service Tech) which is why you can hear the noise even when idling our outside the car. They said they could swap it out, but the new fuel pump would make the exact same noise.

The dealer has said there's nothing they could do b/c all Edge's make the noise and there is no fix/instructions from Ford on resolving the issue. I was instructed the only hope for a fix is to complain directly to Ford and see/hope/pray they're going to try to fix it.

Has anyone had their fuel pump swapped out for the fix? Has anyone had any fix for this noise? Its slowly driving me crazy

I have it too, and I hate it. But Ford is NOTORIOUS for noisy fuel pumps. I told my husband from day one that that was the cause. Mine is VERY loud. People can hear it walking by, it is embarassing, like squeaky breaks, which I have too. I have 13K miles on my SEL plus AWD and I love the vehcile, but am not so pleased with the sounds it is making. I would turn it back in for that darn noise if I could. I hate that noise a lot :)

can you tell it makes me a little crazy :)

• 10 months later...
Hi all, I put my comment on this on the Service link. My 2008 Edge also has the high pitched whine/noise. Its actually the fuel pump (and confirmed it with the Service Tech) which is why you can hear the noise even when idling our outside the car. They said they could swap it out, but the new fuel pump would make the exact same noise.

The dealer has said there's nothing they could do b/c all Edge's make the noise and there is no fix/instructions from Ford on resolving the issue. I was instructed the only hope for a fix is to complain directly to Ford and see/hope/pray they're going to try to fix it.

Has anyone had their fuel pump swapped out for the fix? Has anyone had any fix for this noise? Its slowly driving me crazy

My 2008 LTD AWD [17k] has never, ever whined fwiw...

Edited by robbut1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have an 09 with the same issue, but really only at 38-45 MPH... I hate it and have a complaint in to Ford... not acceptable!

I had this problem on my 2010 Edge in January. Took it into the dealer for repair and 2 weeks later, it was 'fixed' - turns out there was a problem with some of the gears and bearings. You think the whine is bad inside the vehicle...they put my Edge up on the hoist and the sound was a ton worse. Now, I'm experiencing problems when I'm moving less then 10MPH or rolling stops. Feels like I'm on a patch of ice, then engine revs, and finally jerks me into gear. Taking it in tomorrow to try to replicate it for them as it doesn't happen all the time. I'm about to demand a new transmission altogether.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

If it happens while the A/C is running it's coming from the orifice in the evaporator. The noise can be described as a "whistle" and it's generated as fluid passes thru the opening. It's a high frequency vibration of the orifice that's producing the noise. It will get louder when the compressor kicks in and then dies off slowly as the pressure reduces when the pump turns off. I tried to get mine fixed prior to the end of the warranty with 2 different dealers. The bozos didn't know anything and could not understand what was going on. Now I'm well past the warranty period, it's summer and it's whistling away. I turn up the volume on the radio to drown it out.