Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

Nice, good luck , I hope this may be a sign for us as well. Did you say you went the BBB route?

Ā 

Here's the part #'s used on my repairs:

Ā 

1st Repair: 7E57*7275*D (Seal Kit), 7T4Z*7251*D (Power Take Off Assembly)

Ā 

2nd Repair: 7T4Z*7251*D (Power Take Off Assembly)

Ā 

Since the first PTU didn't hold up, I don't expect the second one to work either.

Here's the part #'s used on my repairs:

Ā 

1st Repair: 7E57*7275*D (Seal Kit), 7T4Z*7251*D (Power Take Off Assembly)

Ā 

2nd Repair: 7T4Z*7251*D (Power Take Off Assembly)

Ā 

Since the first PTU didn't hold up, I don't expect the second one to work either.

Ā 

I've had these parts and more. Nothing yet has worked.

I have a little more info. BBB called me. They have had a talk with Ford, they are waiting for a response in writing from Ford. They say the 40 day time frame in the BBB paperwork is in concrete. Win, lose or draw it will be over in 40 calendar days. So officially I only have 35 days or less for an outcome.

I have a little more info. BBB called me. They have had a talk with Ford, they are waiting for a response in writing from Ford. They say the 40 day time frame in the BBB paperwork is in concrete. Win, lose or draw it will be over in 40 calendar days. So officially I only have 35 days or less for an outcome.

Ā 

Hi rdonchan. :D Just as an FYI, so people understand what the BBB AutoLine Arbitration Program is (in simplified terms): The BBB will arbitrate the dispute between the vehicle owner and Ford/the Dealer. Once the BBB makes their final determination, the decision is binding on Ford/The Dealer, but non-binding on the vehicle owner.

Ā 

So to further explain what that means: If the BBB tells Ford/the Dealer that they must do X (i.e buy back the vehicle, perform further repairs, etc), then Ford/the Dealer must do X. However,if the BBB says that Ford/the Dealer is in the right and does not have to do anything further, the vehicle owner is not bound by that BBB decision and can seek further legal action.

Ā 

That legal action can be the initiation of a Lemon Law suit, or any other Lawsuit/legal action the vehicle owner may feel is justified and viable under their particular States Lemon Laws.

Ā 

So, if you "win" (hopefully) your plight will be over in less than 40 days if the decision is in your favor (and acceptable to you). However, if the decision is not in your favor (the "lose or draw" options), you still have other legal means to accomplish what you are looking for. So there is still the possibility that your plight would not be over with the BBB decision (if you are not satisfied with the judgment).

Ā 

Just some information concerning the BBB AutoLine Program that may be helpful to some.

Ā 

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

The smell has returned. In the past Ford hasn't been able to detect a leak until the smell gets more frequent so I will report to customer service but wait to bring it in. After 4 fixes I am now experiencing a strange sound (thud) when making left hand turns. Anyone else have this? Could all the work on this part of the engine effect the steering?

BBF: that is exactly how I understand it to be. You are right, I HOPE it will be over after the 40 days. I am encouraged by the stats on the program about 62% of the cases are rejected or paperwork never completed. So we have made a big hurdle. 80% of the cases that they take in are settled. I have my fingers crossed.

Ā 

Ā 

Weasel: maybe yours is different. Mine has never had the left hand axle removed.

BBF: that is exactly how I understand it to be. You are right, I HOPE it will be over after the 40 days. I am encouraged by the stats on the program about 62% of the cases are rejected or paperwork never completed. So we have made a big hurdle. 80% of the cases that they take in are settled. I have my fingers crossed.

Ā 

Ā 

Weasel: maybe yours is different. Mine has never had the left hand axle removed.

Ā 

Got word yesterday that BBB accepted my case!!!

My 2008 Edge will be at the dealer tomorrow getting the seal changed. Only has 2600 miles on it.....We will see if the "New" seal will resolve the problem....

Ā 

Well they changed the seal , took it for a drive and yup, its still leaking. They now have ordered a whole new PTU unit insead of just the seal. Willl be at least 2 weeks now! :banghead: Now I have an issue about transportation. Without a vehicle as of Monday and they state that unless I purchased the Extended Warrenty it does not cover rentals....Would think Ford would p/u the rental cost whereas this is an ongoing problem with them...Any input would be appreciated .... Anyone else know if FOrd will pick up the rental cost?

Well they changed the seal , took it for a drive and yup, its still leaking. They now have ordered a whole new PTU unit insead of just the seal. Willl be at least 2 weeks now! :banghead: Now I have an issue about transportation. Without a vehicle as of Monday and they state that unless I purchased the Extended Warrenty it does not cover rentals....Would think Ford would p/u the rental cost whereas this is an ongoing problem with them...Any input would be appreciated .... Anyone else know if FOrd will pick up the rental cost?

Ā 

Hi vs08edge. :D Unfortunately, not all Dealers extend free loaners. Like the Dealership stated, contractually Ford only covers a loaner vehicle when you purchase an ESP contract. If you do not have an ESP contract, the choice is up to the individual Dealership. You do still have some options though.

Ā 

Here is what I would suggest: You can call Ford Customer Relations and firmly but politely plead your case to them. Maybe it will help, possibly they will simply kick the decision back to the Dealership.

Ā 

Therefore your best bet is to speak to the Service Manager about a loaner (if you did not already), not a Tech or Service Writer. Firmly but politely present your case to him/her.

Ā 

If that gets you nowhere, go into the Sales Showroom and speak to the Sales Manager (not your Salesperson). Again, firmly but politely let him/her know how disappointed you are about the fact that you are being expected to go without a vehicle for two weeks. Let them politely know that this would certainly weigh heavily on any future decisions to purchase a vehicle at their Dealership.

Ā 

If that gets you nowhere, then speak to the Dealerships General Manager or the Dealer Principal and let him/her know the same things.

Ā 

If that gets you nowhere, there is one last hope: Did the Service Department disassemble your Edge after it was last test driven and leaked? If it was not disassembled and is just sitting there drivable but waiting for parts, why can't you drive it until the new parts arrive?

There is no reason the vehicle has to sit there for two weeks. It is a one day (two at a stretch) job. The leak is not dangerous, just a defective pain in the butt.

If it was disassembled, ask them to reassemble it so that you can drive it for the two weeks, or else give you a loaner. In this way, they may decide it is easier to give you a loaner. Either way, at least it would shorten your time without a vehicle.

Ā 

In the end, "the squeaky (but polite) wheel usually gets the grease."

Ā 

Those are my recommendations, for what it's worth.

Ā 

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I figure first they will want to offer is an extended warranty. Those are always bargining chips with them. We have warranty now that is not the problem. Mine has to go. I would do an 09 in FWD, that would get rid of the PTU, the rest of mine is great. They can issue a credit so I can afford to trade it off or they can buy it. Those are about the only 3 that I will settle for. I may lose, who knows. Let us know if you get a response and I will do the same.

A quick update on my ongoing saga...

Ā 

My case has been accepted for Arbitration with CAMVAP (www.camvap.ca). I received the documentation and have mailed them today...Now,

Ā 

I just need to wait up to 50 days before a hearing is heard...In any event, I am very confident that I will win a buyback. I am currently

Ā 

on my 6th PTU (2nd of the NEW redesign units --> 8T4Z-7251-A)) and the famous "burning smell" is back. So much for the "NEW" design.

Ā 

Ā 

tick, tock, tick, tock....

Ā 

Ā 

If the bad economic conditions doesn't force FORD to go out of business, this PTU saga certainly will.

Hi vs08edge. :D Unfortunately, not all Dealers extend free loaners. Like the Dealership stated, contractually Ford only covers a loaner vehicle when you purchase an ESP contract. If you do not have an ESP contract, the choice is up to the individual Dealership. You do still have some options though.

Ā 

Here is what I would suggest: You can call Ford Customer Relations and firmly but politely plead your case to them. Maybe it will help, possibly they will simply kick the decision back to the Dealership.

Ā 

Therefore your best bet is to speak to the Service Manager about a loaner (if you did not already), not a Tech or Service Writer. Firmly but politely present your case to him/her.

Ā 

If that gets you nowhere, go into the Sales Showroom and speak to the Sales Manager (not your Salesperson). Again, firmly but politely let him/her know how disappointed you are about the fact that you are being expected to go without a vehicle for two weeks. Let them politely know that this would certainly weigh heavily on any future decisions to purchase a vehicle at their Dealership.

Ā 

If that gets you nowhere, then speak to the Dealerships General Manager or the Dealer Principal and let him/her know the same things.

Ā 

If that gets you nowhere, there is one last hope: Did the Service Department disassemble your Edge after it was last test driven and leaked? If it was not disassembled and is just sitting there drivable but waiting for parts, why can't you drive it until the new parts arrive?

There is no reason the vehicle has to sit there for two weeks. It is a one day (two at a stretch) job. The leak is not dangerous, just a defective pain in the butt.

If it was disassembled, ask them to reassemble it so that you can drive it for the two weeks, or else give you a loaner. In this way, they may decide it is easier to give you a loaner. Either way, at least it would shorten your time without a vehicle.

Ā 

In the end, "the squeaky (but polite) wheel usually gets the grease."

Ā 

Those are my recommendations, for what it's worth.

Ā 

Good luck. :beerchug:

Ā 

Ā 

Thank you so much for the suggestions! One problem is that I did not buy the car from where it is now. My dealership is 2 1/2 hours away and if I had known that the problem would have extended beyond the seal , then I probably would have brought it back to where we purchased it. The service manager did say he would see what he could do and call me back. I am just frustrated (like everyone else) that this went from a 4-5 hour job to an almost 2 week job. They did say they do not recommend that I drive it. Not sure if when they chnaged the seak , if the leak became worse.....I will definetly check with them though and if it is not dis-assembled, then I will double check to see if it can be driven until the whole unit comes in. Thanks again!!! :beerchug:

I am having a hard time believing what we are all going through with this. My MKX is not leaking with the new PTU and the dealer has bent over backward to keep me happy but Ford really needs to get this solved. I am not at all satisfied mine will not begin leaking in the near future but am hoping the fix is permanent. I put about 700 miles over super bowl weekend and have driven it a normal 20 miles a day since and have no problems.

Ā 

Good luck to you all and I will keep you posted

I figure first they will want to offer is an extended warranty. Those are always bargining chips with them. We have warranty now that is not the problem. Mine has to go. I would do an 09 in FWD, that would get rid of the PTU, the rest of mine is great. They can issue a credit so I can afford to trade it off or they can buy it. Those are about the only 3 that I will settle for. I may lose, who knows. Let us know if you get a response and I will do the same.

Ā 

What state are you in? I am in northern NJ and need the AWD. Will keep you posted. I will not settle for the extended warranty either. Right now, smell is back but not frequent yet.

Mine is going back in Monday for the entire PTU, time will tell....... No smell, actually it hasn't for two weeks now. Maybe I should just bring it back to them when it starts again, problem is the unit is in and I might not be able to have them earmark it for me? I'll have to call them. Getting a free loaner again, it does pay to be squeaky! I won't accept anything less.

Ā 

I agree with bbf2530, you can drive the car even if it is leaking, I have. Galaxie, what part# was your most recent PTU?

Mine is going back in Monday for the entire PTU, time will tell....... No smell, actually it hasn't for two weeks now. Maybe I should just bring it back to them when it starts again, problem is the unit is in and I might not be able to have them earmark it for me? I'll have to call them. Getting a free loaner again, it does pay to be squeaky! I won't accept anything less.

Ā 

I agree with bbf2530, you can drive the car even if it is leaking, I have. Galaxie, what part# was your most recent PTU?

Ā 

8T4Z-7251-A and was installed on 1/22 at 8602 miles.