Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

More info, found I had the 'new' seal done at 10k, since the replacement PTU's were also leaking. Now Ford apparently has a kit, that I believe includes PTU, PTU gasket, and a reflector shield ( at least there will be no more burning smell or fire hazard if it leaks again ). Saw the TSB with a few part numbers. Will post back when I get more information, ( and exact part numbers ) hopefully it does contain this 'redesigned' PTU, or maybe I don't get this until the 3rd attempt like you guys are saying and it is just more seals and a reflector.. Dealer will call tomorrow with an ETA on when they can get the kit.

Called this morning, no ETA on when the part(s) will arrive, ( they must be coming from China or something or shipped out to fix all you guys ! ) so the wife's Edge will continue to drip brown spots on the resealed driveway all weekend now. And after reading all these threads, geeze, some of you guys that have been dealing with this since 2007, I can see how this is getting real irratating. So Ford has helped me decide here, I'm getting an 09 Ram Sport, not the 09 F150 FX4 that I test drove last week. This issue made up my mind to 'go to the Dodge side' for the new truck..

Called this morning, no ETA on when the part(s) will arrive, ( they must be coming from China or something or shipped out to fix all you guys ! ) so the wife's Edge will continue to drip brown spots on the resealed driveway all weekend now. And after reading all these threads, geeze, some of you guys that have been dealing with this since 2007, I can see how this is getting real irratating. So Ford has helped me decide here, I'm getting an 09 Ram Sport, not the 09 F150 FX4 that I test drove last week. This issue made up my mind to 'go to the Dodge side' for the new truck..

I had one of those (Dodge) really liked :rolleyes: it, ran good, pulled good...When I could use it.

1800 miles bad transmission, then again at 18000

2200 bad radiator

Can't remember what happen at 3500 miles but it spent 3 MORE days at the dealer

etc

etc

etc

Traded it with 37K miles, lady tracked me down.. transmission gone at 39000, paint gone etc etc

But it did run and pull good at least 3 weeks out of 4.

ab

So Ford has helped me decide here, I'm getting an 09 Ram Sport, not the 09 F150 FX4 that I test drove last week. This issue made up my mind to 'go to the Dodge side' for the new truck..

That makes no sense - this is an isolated, single part issue that's not at all related to the F150. If this was one of many such problems on multiple vehicles or if Ford was ignoring the problem altogether then I could understand. But it's not.

Well I just had the "New and Imporved" seal kits (84TZ*7275*A & B) put on my Edge. Sorry to say that I had leaking again in lest than 10 days... I called FOMOCO and started a case with them. I have to go into the dealer AGAIN to get the newly designed PTU whenever that becomes available. This is the sixth time I've been into the dealer in two months, and my Edge has less that 4,500 miles on it. This is the last chance for for ford before I use my states lemon law. Is there a single success story for these PTU's or is there no hope at all?

Finally after 2 years of having burning smell in my car I have finally decided to join this forum and tell you my story.

Bought my Ford Edge March of 2007. I loved this car. December of 2007 started smelling the infamous burning smell. Took to the dealer replaced the seal after waiting 2 weeks to get my car back. March 2008 driving back from New Jersey to Pennsylvania after a vacation in Florida car smoking so bad that we could hardly see. I didnt know if we were going to make it home ok! We did and back to dealer where they replaced the PTU! January 9, 2009, leaking again. Dealer replaced PTU again! Pulled off the lot of the dealer and could have sworn that I smelled the burning smell. By now I know that smell all to well. Husband told me that maybe some fluid is still on the exhaust so maybe it needs to burn off. Have been smelling the burning smell off and on since that day. Friday, January 23rd driving to work stopped at light, what do i smell. It cant be, can it? Thought maybe it was in my head.........Went to lunch strong smell of burning. Going to the dealer tomorrow. What is different this time is i dont smell it all the time. Today out and about running errands and haven't smelled anything but getting it checked anyway.

Dealer thinks that maybe they didnt clean my car up and maybe some liquid has to burn off..........does that make sense. Told them I have had it. Although you do expect to have problems I think I have been more than patient.

Anyway, just wanted to tell my story.

Finally after 2 years of having burning smell in my car I have finally decided to join this forum and tell you my story.

Bought my Ford Edge March of 2007. I loved this car. December of 2007 started smelling the infamous burning smell. Took to the dealer replaced the seal after waiting 2 weeks to get my car back. March 2008 driving back from New Jersey to Pennsylvania after a vacation in Florida car smoking so bad that we could hardly see. I didnt know if we were going to make it home ok! We did and back to dealer where they replaced the PTU! January 9, 2009, leaking again. Dealer replaced PTU again! Pulled off the lot of the dealer and could have sworn that I smelled the burning smell. By now I know that smell all to well. Husband told me that maybe some fluid is still on the exhaust so maybe it needs to burn off. Have been smelling the burning smell off and on since that day. Friday, January 23rd driving to work stopped at light, what do i smell. It cant be, can it? Thought maybe it was in my head.........Went to lunch strong smell of burning. Going to the dealer tomorrow. What is different this time is i dont smell it all the time. Today out and about running errands and haven't smelled anything but getting it checked anyway.

Dealer thinks that maybe they didnt clean my car up and maybe some liquid has to burn off..........does that make sense. Told them I have had it. Although you do expect to have problems I think I have been more than patient.

If you have a Stinkin PTU Ford Edge story you would like to share with me I will post to my blog.

Gary Smith

SMOKIN EDGE

edge18,

Are you sure they installed the NEW redesigned PTU --> 7251A? This new PTU has a deflector on the PTU that prevents the leaking oil from ever contacting the hot exhaust, hence you will no longer have the "burning" smell...But it may still leak...

Could you double check this...Do you see the deflector right above the Y pipe of the exhaust?

The reason I am asking this, is because I am due next week for a NEW PTU replacement and my dealership has ordered the 7251A (they had to pull some strings with Ford Tech in order to have the approval of replacing the entire PTU unit..)

I don't even know how to open the hood but my paperwork says that it was part #7251D that was installed. Is 7251A what I should ask for now?

Does anyone have the Ford customer care # handy? I would love it if the dealership would replace the entire PTU right from the start but I doubt it. They ordered the seal kit.

ford customer care 866-631-3788. Request the seal kit. At this point Ford should do all they can to fix this problem. I just don't think they know what to do!

Well I just had the "New and Imporved" seal kits (84TZ*7275*A & B) put on my Edge. Sorry to say that I had leaking again in lest than 10 days... I called FOMOCO and started a case with them. I have to go into the dealer AGAIN to get the newly designed PTU whenever that becomes available. This is the sixth time I've been into the dealer in two months, and my Edge has less that 4,500 miles on it. This is the last chance for for ford before I use my states lemon law. Is there a single success story for these PTU's or is there no hope at all?

The 7275 part is the old one. I had no luck with 7251D but there seems to be a 7251A now available. Don't have much hope for that either but the 7275 parts do not work.

Thank-you for posting this. This is exactly what is happening to my 2007 Edge. The smell is not as frequent as it was so I sometimes think I am imagining it. Ford is taking my car sometime this week to look at. It is not in your head. Keep us posted.

That makes no sense - this is an isolated, single part issue that's not at all related to the F150. If this was one of many such problems on multiple vehicles or if Ford was ignoring the problem altogether then I could understand. But it's not.

I like both trucks, always preferred Ford trucks, still really like 'em but Dodge did a great job on the 09 Ram. And I had an 04 F150 with vibration issues, they hung a vibration dampener off the rear left leaf spring, and only after 3 trip to the dealer with "engineering working on a fix" on the receipt. I ended up trading it in. Some of us have been through this with Ford before. Been having a hard time deciding, this issue was simply the deal breaker.

And according to the TSB, this PTU issue is with Edge and Taurus X. Hopefully the Flex has the redesigned PTU when they update the TSB with 09 if applicable.

I took a quick look underneath this weekend and saw all kinds of new parts that do not even look similiar to the originals and the earlier replacements. There have been no leaks nor burning smell so far so currently it looks like things are OK but really only time will tell. A big difference in this whole affair is the dealer. Mine has gone out of his way to keep me happy and instill a sense of capability and earnestness to get this right.

I will let you know of the outcome as time go by and hopefully no leaks reappear.[/b]

Dropped off the Edge tonight @ the dealer. Only two of the kits came in and I was "lucky" number 2. Hopefully It'll be done for tommorow. They did give me a stylin' Econoline VAN for a couple of days, Made em give it to me N/C. Never got a good look underneath to see if the parts will be as galaxieman has stated. Stay tuned.

Well I just got back from the dealer, Good news they got it done by 10:00 am. BAD news by the time I drove the 20 miles back home the interior filled with that fricking burning smell again!! I shined a light under the car in the barn and I can't really tell what spilled when they did the repair or what is new. I would think any fluid would be burned off by then? A call to the dealer will follow tomorrow morning as they are closed @ 6 pm.

This is what they did today: "Customer states right front seal leaking check and refill fluid. Verified concern removed right front axle and seal replaced right front axle and seal refilled fluid and verified repairs"

QTY-1-8T4Z-7275-A kit

QTY-1-7T4Z-3A329-BD shaft

I asked them if they road tested the car and the lady looked at me and gave me an answer such as "of course". The mileage in exactly matches the mileage out. Stupid me never recorded it when I left. So goes another page in this continuing saga. I'll drive it tomorrow and see, we are getting nearly a foot of SNOW here. At least I have my therapy in my snowmobile :happy feet:

Well I just got back from the dealer, Good news they got it done by 10:00 am. BAD news by the time I drove the 20 miles back home the interior filled with that fricking burning smell again!! I shined a light under the car in the barn and I can't really tell what spilled when they did the repair or what is new. I would think any fluid would be burned off by then? A call to the dealer will follow tomorrow morning as they are closed @ 6 pm.

This is what they did today: "Customer states right front seal leaking check and refill fluid. Verified concern removed right front axle and seal replaced right front axle and seal refilled fluid and verified repairs"

QTY-1-8T4Z-7275-A kit

QTY-1-7T4Z-3A329-BD shaft

I asked them if they road tested the car and the lady looked at me and gave me an answer such as "of course". The mileage in exactly matches the mileage out. Stupid me never recorded it when I left. So goes another page in this continuing saga. I'll drive it tomorrow and see, we are getting nearly a foot of SNOW here. At least I have my therapy in my snowmobile :happy feet:

I really think you have a dealer problem. Yes the car has a problem but the dealer is not acting very professional especially lying to you about the test drive. What else aren't they telling you the truth about!!?? You also need to insist the whole PTU be replaced. Just the seal and shaft is not going to get it done. Have you called Ford and mentioned lemon law. I think it is time!! Do so at the dealer as well.

Edited by galaxieman

I really think you have a dealer problem. Yes the car has a problem but the dealer is not acting very professional especially lying to you about the test drive. What else aren't they telling you the truth about!!?? You also need to insist the whole PTU be replaced. Just the seal and shaft is not going to get it done. Have you called Ford and mentioned lemon law. I think it is time!! Do so at the dealer as well.

The Mass Lemon Law applies to new and used cars up to 15,000 miles or one year whichever comes first. the defect needs to be repaired 3 times and still a failure. However I understand that even if you have exceeded one year or 15k, you can still qualify for a final opportunity repair which gives the dealer one more chance to fix it right. Then you can submit a letter to the manu. for a replacement or refund.

What # is correct to call Ford about the Lemon Law? I did mention yesterday about having the entire PTU replaced if I have to return. He stated that they haven't had to replace the PTU yet as all the seals they replaced haven't come back??? Probably went to another dealer?

Wife will take the car today because of the snow. I'll give it a day or two and call the dealer if this persists, and call Ford. Need that # please. Doug

The Mass Lemon Law applies to new and used cars up to 15,000 miles or one year whichever comes first. the defect needs to be repaired 3 times and still a failure. However I understand that even if you have exceeded one year or 15k, you can still qualify for a final opportunity repair which gives the dealer one more chance to fix it right. Then you can submit a letter to the manu. for a replacement or refund.

What # is correct to call Ford about the Lemon Law? I did mention yesterday about having the entire PTU replaced if I have to return. He stated that they haven't had to replace the PTU yet as all the seals they replaced haven't come back??? Probably went to another dealer?

Wife will take the car today because of the snow. I'll give it a day or two and call the dealer if this persists, and call Ford. Need that # please. Doug

[b]800 241 3673

That is Ford customer care. Tell them you want a case opened and they will assign a number to your case. They will take the info and call you back. I would just mention lemon law rather than make that the reason for the call. The reason for the call should be too open the case to get the car repaired and/or to arrange a meeting with the factory rep. Also mention this action to the dealer service writer. As you can see in the service report they wrote for my vehicle that was mentioned in writing.[/b]

By the way the dealer service writer gave me the number for Ford Customer Care without my asking. The guys a real pro!

Edited by galaxieman

I have 2008 limited and got the same parts installed back on 01/20 and so far no leaks. I actually go underneath the car and stick my fingers in the seal area to see any signs of a leak. I also asked my dealer if they are replacing pto's and he said that's not the problem. Anyone know if there is a mileage limitation for New Hampshire lemon law. Everything I have read does not show any mileage. When you file for arbitration the dealer does have one more chance.

[b]800 241 3673

That is Ford customer care. Tell them you want a case opened and they will assign a number to your case. They will take the info and call you back. I would just mention lemon law rather than make that the reason for the call. The reason for the call should be too open the case to get the car repaired and/or to arrange a meeting with the factory rep. Also mention this action to the dealer service writer. As you can see in the service report they wrote for my vehicle that was mentioned in writing.[/b]

By the way the dealer service writer gave me the number for Ford Customer Care without my asking. The guys a real pro!

I just got off the phone with Ford customer care. that gentleman stated that they do not call customers back nor arrange a meeting with a Ford rep. where did you get this info? All I have is a case started and a # assigned to it. He said to keep up dialoge with my dealer. I did state the fact about the road test that may not have been done after the "repair'. i mentioned the lemon law as well to him.

My wife called me when she got to work and said she didn't notice any smell. we'll see when she drives home.

I just got off the phone with Ford customer care. that gentleman stated that they do not call customers back nor arrange a meeting with a Ford rep. where did you get this info? All I have is a case started and a # assigned to it. He said to keep up dialoge with my dealer. I did state the fact about the road test that may not have been done after the "repair'. i mentioned the lemon law as well to him.

My wife called me when she got to work and said she didn't notice any smell. we'll see when she drives home.

When I called customer care the person told me they would call back and did two days later. I did not try to set up the meeting with the factory rep and just assumed they would do that if asked. If that was incorrect I apologize. Maybe that happens through the dealer? If it gets to that point I will ask my dealer first then go to customer care. I guess the important thing is to keep that case number for future contacts.

I hope you/I/we have the problem fixed now. I will be taking a 700 mile round trip this weekend and will give the repair a real test.

My 2008 Edge LMTD will be at the dealer tomorrow to diagonis the bruning smell problem.In speaking with them this morning, I guess they are well aware of the problwm, (they have already done one Edge) They are stating that it will require a new seal.I hope thats all it is ..Only have 2500 miles on it. Like others once the car is warmed up I get a burning smell, almost like plastic burning. Only when it is very cold out though. Will find out tomorrow I guess.....

When I called customer care the person told me they would call back and did two days later. I did not try to set up the meeting with the factory rep and just assumed they would do that if asked. If that was incorrect I apologize. Maybe that happens through the dealer? If it gets to that point I will ask my dealer first then go to customer care. I guess the important thing is to keep that case number for future contacts.

I hope you/I/we have the problem fixed now. I will be taking a 700 mile round trip this weekend and will give the repair a real test.

I just got another return call from Customer Care and they are trying to arrange a meeting with the dealer and a rep.

I don't post much here, usually just read through the threads. However I thought I should chime in here. My wife has an 07 Edge AWD with about 6,500 miles on it. Recently I have noticed a rubber burning smell on a few occasions. Each time, we have been driving for a little bit with the heat on (Winter in Central NY) and come to a stop when the smell is noticed. It doesn't last long or seem to affect the vehicle in any way. At first I wondered if the rear heat ducts were blocked by some of the baby stuff in the back but sometimes nothing is in the way. I'd be interested to hear what anyone else finds out. Since it doesn't seem major, I'll wait until the next oil change. I did notice a TSB on NHTSA's website that talked about brakes dragging and causing a smell... not sure if this is related. The smell is only noticable inside the vehicle and no smoke at all.

Otherwise no issues and we love our Edge. :shades:

I have an 08 with 30,000 on it...I am on my 4th..yes 4th PTU. Plus 2 seals, which they tried before the PTU and with the 3rd PTU, they also changed the drive shaft, which apparently were all milled too small from the engineered drawings. Unbelievable. The 3rd PTU was installed on Dec 18th and the seals were blown again by Dec 31st or about 500km.

Originally, I thought I was imagining this smell and it started around 7500km for me. I think the rubber smell you mentioned is actually transmission fluid that is coming back into the cabin when the car has been driven and then stops..either at a light or stop sign etc. My dealership has been great, and Ford has just patched this tranny back together one too many times for me. I have been breathing this transmission smoke for 25,000+ km...I have had a dry cough for months now and am putting 2 and 2 together...& taking this to the next level!

:banghead:

I havent been on here in a while but i dropped by to check out other peoples PTU problems, seeing that mine is in for its 2nd ptu. 3rd or 4th time its been in for the burning smell i really cant remember. I dropped mine off a week ago after going all summer without the burning smell. Well along comes winter and sure enough burning smell again. I spoke with a manager at the dealership about the lemon law. He told me the same thing that we all know who has this problem. three times of the same problem... blah blah blah, then to contact the attorney general and then they give ford a 4th time to fix it and if the 4th time doesnt work then ford has a "buy back" program. So to make a long story short i am going to get copys of all of the service that has been done to make sure it matches the paper work that i have.

Not to disappoint anyone but i hear that the PTU unit is on back order again. Good thing i have a brand new Nissan titan they gave me to drive because who knows how long ford will have me edge this time!

Jason