Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

OK, apparently wrong info was given to me again by the service advisor not the manager . They did not top off the trans. fluid because the two techs that looked at my car felt it was in acceptable range. So what is leaking is tranny fluis coming out of the faulty PTU seal. The PTU at this point is NOT leaking. Gervais Ford has 10 of these seals on order from another manufacturer, as was stated by the Service MGR. Again I am second in line and he hopes to have them in house by 1/26??

A total of 4 Edges came just today with the same symptoms. This is totally unacceptable. I too believe that actions by many will be worth the effort.

I will put a pint or so back into the tranny and drive the car as normal. Short trips around town should be ok. "should be" Not taking any chances with the kids in the car.

Without pushing for a loaner it was stated that the best they could do was $19.95 a day, down from the normal daily rate of $49.95. I'm borrowing a family car now but if it takes longer than a week I'll demand a freebie, by next week if the parts are in, I may only need the loaner for a day or two anyway. Tech time is only 1.9 hrs for the seal. He sent me a fax of the TSB, I'll try to copy and paste tomorrow.

Weasel,

For those of us in Canada, can you post a link or Tel number to the Department within Transport Canada that you contacted on this issue...

I don't expect the car to catch on fire, however, oil dripping on a HOT exhaust system is potentially a Fire Hazard. Does anyone want to be liable for this?

Furthermore, as I mentioned in my previous post, the smell of burning fumes inside the cabin is certainly not healthy, specially if there are children in the vehicle. This is certainly a Health Hazard.

I got the number from the back of the owners manual. I have a 1-800 number on the investigators card ( it should be the same one )

Transport Canada Safety and Security, Motor Vehicle Defects: 1-800-333-0150

My service rep called last night and said the entire and REDESIGNED PTU and shield has been installed and after doing some road testing and checking for leaks will be ready this afternoon. My dealer has treated me exceptionally welll during this situation expediting the process and keeping me informed.

As a side note I do not understand those of you who are not being provided a loaner car while yours is tied up for repair. I thought that was a stipulation of the warranty. My dealer usually draws a car of like value from his own rental fleet and this is the third time my wife has had an MKX as a replacement. I believe it states somewhere the dealer will provide a car of like value. I was at the rental office one day when a customer having a Ford GT repaired asked, jokingly, for a car of like value. He went off in a Crown Vic!

I'll keep you posted and will still follow through with Ford Customer Care when they contact me.

My service rep called last night and said the entire and REDESIGNED PTU and shield has been installed and after doing some road testing and checking for leaks will be ready this afternoon. My dealer has treated me exceptionally welll during this situation expediting the process and keeping me informed.

As a side note I do not understand those of you who are not being provided a loaner car while yours is tied up for repair. I thought that was a stipulation of the warranty. My dealer usually draws a car of like value from his own rental fleet and this is the third time my wife has had an MKX as a replacement. I believe it states somewhere the dealer will provide a car of like value. I was at the rental office one day when a customer having a Ford GT repaired asked, jokingly, for a car of like value. He went off in a Crown Vic!

I'll keep you posted and will still follow through with Ford Customer Care when they contact me.

The Lincoln warranty only provides for "transportation" - which could be a shuttle bus. They used to provide for a similar "loaner" vehicle but that was removed years ago. That said, most dealers provide loaners or rentals for warranty work, but it's up to the dealer. Mine even gives loaners for Fords and Mercuries in most cases.

I received the TSB this A.M. from the dealership concerning the PTU. the # for the TSB is 08-12-3. now looking at this TSB the publication date is May, 30 2008.

Reading thru all of it makes alot more sense to me as I have not been able to inspect my car myself on a lift. I can only see by laying on the ground. I do see the red fluid dripping off between the motor and tranny. According the the paper "Red automatic transmission fluid (ATF ) is not used in the PTU itself. The RH intermediate shaft passes from the transaxle through the input hub of the PTU, where the intermediate shaft seal is located. a red ATF leak indicates fluid from the transaxle is leaking past this intermediate shaft seal contained in the PTU. Brown/Black fluid indicates a true PTU seal leak."

What I was told and from what I can see I am leaking ATF fluid from the shaft seal. Also according to this report the part # for the Seal kit is 8T4Z-7275-A. I know there is a new vendor for the seals as I was told but I'm not sure if it carries the #7251. and has this held up?

Ok everyone, here is my update. I took my car in on Monday (1/19) and told him about the burning smell and this forum and how it seems like everyone is having this problem. He was aware of the problem and told me it was a very busy December but that he only had a couple in January thus far. He also made me aware that the part was on back order. My dealer did put me into a dealer car (Edge SEL 2WD NO CHARGE)) and let me tell you. The 2 wheel drive is crap. It snowed like an inch and I couldn't go anywhere and the handling was horrible. Anyways, sorry for the rant but I just picked up my Edge Limited AWD this morning and I couldn't have been more happier to get my baby back. Lets just hope they fixed the problem however I have my doubts. This is what the paperwork has to say;

A C/S THAT THERE IS A LEAK IN THE FRONT. CAUSE: 11502 VERIFY CUSTOMER CONCERN CHECK THE VEHICLE FOR LEAK FOUND LEAKING OUT OF THE PTU AXLE SEAL ALSO FOUND TSB 08-12-3 PERFORM .REPLACE

D INFO

422 W

1 8T4Z*7275*B KIT

2 XT*5*QM FLUID - TRANSMISSION

11502 VERIFY CUSTOMER CONCERN CHECK THE VEHICLE FOR LEAK FOUND LEAKING OUT OF THE PTU AXLE SEAL ALSO FOUND TSB 08-12-3 PERFORM .REPLACE THE AXLE SEAL AND TOP THE FLUID. ROAD AFTER REPAIR AND RECHECK FOR LEAKS VERIFY OK

I will update after driving a week in warmer then colder weather and let you know what happens. (Keeping fingers crossed)

Where are you located? My dealer has 10 kits on order and keeps checking every day. says should be in by the 26th?

Looks like the same kit many have had concerns and failures with. Best of luck, we all need it!

I'm located in Northern NJ. The dealer is All American Ford and their website is AllAmericanFord.Net

I have had 3 PTU replacements (both the 7275A and the 7251 redesigned seal) and now my car is smelling again. Only a matter of time before it starts to smoke. I contacted Ford Customer Service. Lemon law in NJ has to be filed before 18,000 miles. Have opened case with Better Business Bureau. I have a 2007 AWD. What are our options here? Are we just stuck with a car that smells and smokes every 3 months? Are the 08 and 09 Edges having this problem. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated!

I have had 3 PTU replacements (both the 7275A and the 7251 redesigned seal) and now my car is smelling again. Only a matter of time before it starts to smoke. I contacted Ford Customer Service. Lemon law in NJ has to be filed before 18,000 miles. Have opened case with Better Business Bureau. I have a 2007 AWD. What are our options here? Are we just stuck with a car that smells and smokes every 3 months? Are the 08 and 09 Edges having this problem. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated!

If you read my post it explains my 08 Edge with the same problem. I'd love to get a bunch of Edge owners together here in NJ and sign a petition to take to the BBB.

edge18,

Are you sure they installed the NEW redesigned PTU --> 7251A? This new PTU has a deflector on the PTU that prevents the leaking oil from ever contacting the hot exhaust, hence you will no longer have the "burning" smell...But it may still leak...

Could you double check this...Do you see the deflector right above the Y pipe of the exhaust?

The reason I am asking this, is because I am due next week for a NEW PTU replacement and my dealership has ordered the 7251A (they had to pull some strings with Ford Tech in order to have the approval of replacing the entire PTU unit..)

OK Here's the next step in my saga. Let me first say that Fred Beans Ford Lincol Mercury in Doylestown, PA has been super during this whole thing. THey had the car since Friday and we had a loaned MKX to drive the whole time. When they called today they had my wife's MKX hand washed, vacuumed and all the windows cleaned. It looks great. They had the car for some extra time to drive it and to keep checking for leaks. This is the text from the service report. Sorry for the length but I thought you would be interested.

"Customer states there is a leak under the front end, Customer getting burning smell from vehicle. Check/verify inspect and found trans fluid leak from R/S seal of PTO unit. Customer initiated a contact session with FOMOCO- case # XXXXXXX on 1/19/09. Contact Ford hotline and discuss history/repairs/customer contact and inform of customers intent to possibly file "lemon law" if not repaired. Hotline states there is a "new improved" PTO available (8TAZ-7251-A) which has a centering seal and replaces the previously released part (7) series and to dissassemble the halfshaft and install the intermediate shaft and the PTO together and then install the assy. R&R subframe assy for access and replace PTO and install intermediate shaft and PTO as one unit...Install half shaft assy. cleandown and top off trans fluid road test and reinspect. Found seal and PTO area to be dry fluid level is OK.

Hotline contact ID#XXXXXXX Ford case # XXXXXXXX Mike B and Mike M informed of report and customer intent as to "lemon law" and dissatisfaction with product

Parts installed 1 8T4Z-7251-A power takeoff

1 W705443-S900 nut

The car was driven a total of 85 miles while they had it as a means of testing for leaks. Some of those miles were put on with someone driving the thing home overnight.

Once again this is the fifth time in for this and the vehicle has 8602 miles. Leased AWD 2008 MKX. This dealer has, in my opinion done everything in his power to rectify the situation. It is up to FOMOCO to make it right. The lemon law mention and contact with Ford customer care is the right thing to do, not for the dealer but for Ford. They do not want this to hit the media.

This is the third complete PTU unit in this vehicle. I will check for the shield over the weekend and let you know but I trust the dealer did it right.

Edited by galaxieman

I believe the shield part is not correct. Mine has had a shield since day one. Maybe the shield is internal? Mine has had the updated PTU installed but there are not any different PTU shields than it had since day one.

Have had mine about a week now and it is still holding. When the last ptu was replaced with the old style it lasted about 10 months. Maybe the new one will last longer, who knows.

My anxiety level is running high today. This is my first visit to the dealer and with less than 5,000 km on the odometer, I am hoping this doesn't turn into a on-going PU PTU problem.

Today I left my Ford Edge at the Dealer. There were two problems I identified to the mechanic.

1) Smokin Problem - they said if it was red oil leaking then they have a new gasket. If it is brown oil then the gasket is on back order and they don't know when they can get it changed for me.

2) Down Shifting Problem - when the weather is cold from about 80kph (50miles/hr) to about 30kph (20miles/hr) the vehicle is making a loud rumbling noise. I took the Mechanic for a drive and he made me drive and then shift into neutral and see if we heard the noise. Next I turned the vehicle off to see if we could hear the problem at the same speed, He said it could be a bearing in one of the wheels, but doesn't know. (I think it is related to the PTU problems others are having - we will see).

For problem 1, this is a simple job and I hope it fixes the smoking problem. Problem #2 is the reason I left the vehicle at the dealer today. The mechanic is going to disconnect the rear wheels and run the front wheels only to see if this identifies the problem. So it looks like I am going to have to wait to see what comes out of the second problem. I am thinking now what a Piece of Shit I paid $40,000 and I would like to talk directly to the Product Manager at Ford and tell him why he should not be proud of this vehicle.

Follow my Journal entries at the SMOKIN EDGE

My anxiety level is running high today. This is my first visit to the dealer and with less than 5,000 km on the odometer, I am hoping this doesn't turn into a on-going PU PTU problem.

Today I left my Ford Edge at the Dealer. There were two problems I identified to the mechanic.

1) Smokin Problem - they said if it was red oil leaking then they have a new gasket. If it is brown oil then the gasket is on back order and they don't know when they can get it changed for me.

2) Down Shifting Problem - when the weather is cold from about 80kph (50miles/hr) to about 30kph (20miles/hr) the vehicle is making a loud rumbling noise. I took the Mechanic for a drive and he made me drive and then shift into neutral and see if we heard the noise. Next I turned the vehicle off to see if we could hear the problem at the same speed, He said it could be a bearing in one of the wheels, but doesn't know. (I think it is related to the PTU problems others are having - we will see).

For problem 1, this is a simple job and I hope it fixes the smoking problem. Problem #2 is the reason I left the vehicle at the dealer today. The mechanic is going to disconnect the rear wheels and run the front wheels only to see if this identifies the problem. So it looks like I am going to have to wait to see what comes out of the second problem. I am thinking now what a Piece of Shit I paid $40,000 and I would like to talk directly to the Product Manager at Ford and tell him why he should not be proud of this vehicle.

Follow my Journal entries at the SMOKIN EDGE

I think you are approaching this with the wrong attitude. Yes Ford has a problem and I believe they are trying to rectify it. But approaching with a negative attitude before anything has happened will just get you aggravated and anyone you deal with during the situation will pick up on the negative and react in like manner. Remember an automobile is a mechanical contrivance and anything mechanical can fail. Before getting upset see if the dealer and Ford rectify the problem. If you feel they are not genuinely acting in your best interest by all means take further action. Believe it or not most companies and people want things to turn out right and will do all they can to make the outcome positive.

Things could be worse, you could have bought one of the Nissans that they can't get the transmissions right on.

Well the first problem is apparently fixed with a new PTU seal which was changed - remains to be seen.

However the other problem is attributed to a defective drive shaft that will be fixed under warranty next week.

If this is the end of my problems then the blog comes down, otherwise I will continue to report.

Gary Smith

SMOKIN EDGE

Edited by garyedwardsmith