Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

Drove the Edge to work today. Parked and open door and it stinks again. Going back to dealer next Thursday for 15k oil change and have this looked at again. I'm at two bad seals now.

Ā 

Also looked at Kelly Blue Book and trade in is only 22,900 on a fully loaded '08 limited. I haven't driven it for two weeks but was eager to dump it before but may ride it out for a bit longer since it is the wife car :hysterical:

Ā 

The trade in value is a bit depressing on new vehicle owned for only 8 months..

Close to the part number they just installed in mine and then took for a test drive and still leaks. At least they took it for a drive to check it before they called me to pick it up.
What does "close too" mean. Do you have the part#? Check on your most recent invoice. The way these have been leaking the dealer needs to test drive before they give you the keys back. Mine leaked the within 2 minutes when I drove out of the dealership after the first seal change :rockon:

What does "close too" mean. Do you have the part#? Check on your most recent invoice. The way these have been leaking the dealer needs to test drive before they give you the keys back. Mine leaked the within 2 minutes when I drove out of the dealership after the first seal change :rockon:

Ā 

Ā 

I asked them for the part number for the seal. My number was 8T4Z-7275A. They still have my car at the dealer. when they test drove it, found it still leaked, then ordered the whole PTU Unit..........Should be in Monday or Tuesday next week......

Edited by vs08edge

Well they changed the seal , took it for a drive and yup, its still leaking. They now have ordered a whole new PTU unit insead of just the seal. Willl be at least 2 weeks now! :banghead: Now I have an issue about transportation. Without a vehicle as of Monday and they state that unless I purchased the Extended Warrenty it does not cover rentals....Would think Ford would p/u the rental cost whereas this is an ongoing problem with them...Any input would be appreciated .... Anyone else know if FOrd will pick up the rental cost?

Ā 

Call Ford Customer Service and demand a rental. The dealer gave me a hard time with this but once I opened a case with Ford it was taken of.

Well they changed the seal , took it for a drive and yup, its still leaking. They now have ordered a whole new PTU unit insead of just the seal. Willl be at least 2 weeks now! :banghead: Now I have an issue about transportation. Without a vehicle as of Monday and they state that unless I purchased the Extended Warrenty it does not cover rentals....Would think Ford would p/u the rental cost whereas this is an ongoing problem with them...Any input would be appreciated .... Anyone else know if FOrd will pick up the rental cost?

Ā 

Call Ford Customer Service and demand a rental. The dealer gave me a hard time with this but once I opened a case with Ford it was taken of.

Well everyone my post last evening was a bit hasty. Soon after posting my wife came home with the MKX and asked me to come out to the garage. Sure enough the burning oil smell had returned and after opening the hood the smoke was also present. This means another trip to the dealer and adevancement to another step in the process. Not sure what that will be yet but my instinct is to begin asking to cancel the lease and start over with a 2009 or 2010 if they can assure me the design fault is remedied on the new models. We really like this car except for this problem and would gladly take another chance. There is just nothing out there we like as much as the MKX. :angry:

If you did get out of the lease, why would you go with AWD again? It's obviously not fixed because if it was they would have the same fixed part on your MKX. I love AWD but if it's flawed as it is on this EDGE I would just have to skip it.

Ā 

Ā 

My wife has been driving AWD/4WD vehicles since 1997 and is addicted to them. If I felt the AWD situation was not fixed I guess we would go to another vehicle but that would be tough. We really really like everything else about the MKX.

My wife has been driving AWD/4WD vehicles since 1997 and is addicted to them. If I felt the AWD situation was not fixed I guess we would go to another vehicle but that would be tough. We really really like everything else about the MKX.

Ā 

Ā 

I guess Ford doesn't do AWD. They did 4WD okay since I had a 1995 Ford Explorer that worked okay and had over 260,000km on it. But the problem that many of us are having with the Ford Edge AWD is an example that Ford simply cannot engineer a product correctly. Others like Toyota, Subura, Honda are much further ahead with the AWD technology. Ford needs to pick its battles - AWD isn't on of them - maybe 4WD F150 is their market?

Ā 

I am taking my Ford Edge back in a couple of weeks to get it inspected for the stinking PTU Problem again.

Ā 

Add me to the list of owners who are simply pissed at Ford. If you want to add your name to a list of pissed PTU customers check out my web site. I plan to send this list to Ford.

Ā 

Gary Smith

SMOKIN EDGE

Edited by garyedwardsmith

I guess Ford doesn't do AWD. They did 4WD okay since I had a 1995 Ford Explorer that worked okay and had over 260,000km on it. But the problem that many of us are having with the Ford Edge AWD is an example that Ford simply cannot engineer a product correctly. Others like Toyota, Subura, Honda are much further ahead with the AWD technology. Ford needs to pick its battles - AWD isn't on of them - maybe 4WD F150 is their market?

Ā 

I am taking my Ford Edge back in a couple of weeks to get it inspected for the stinking PTU Problem again.

Ā 

Add me to the list of owners who are simply pissed at Ford. If you want to add your name to a list of pissed PTU customers check out my web site. I plan to send this list to Ford.

Ā 

Gary Smith

SMOKIN EDGE

Ā 

We have had 2 Mountaineers with AWD and they were fine!! The Jap manufacturers are not ahead of Ford or Gm but Ford certainly missed the boat on the design of this system.

I just looked at the Mazda CX9 forum and they are having an odor problem related to coolant. What a coincidence.

Ā 

Then I looked further and found this link.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123695109

Ā 

They are having very serious problems with the PTO. That doe not make me feel any better but at least we are not rowing upriver alone! :cry:

That problem affected a small amount 07 CX-9's, the PTO just needed to be replaced. Totally fixed after replacement and not a reoccurring issue on 08's outside of the affected build date (if any - not sure) and 09's. So was the coolant issue, it was a recall and has been fixed.

Edited by CreamEDGE.

That problem affected a small amount 07 CX-9's, the PTO just needed to be replaced. Totally fixed after replacement and not a reoccurring issue on 08's outside of the affected build date (if any - not sure) and 09's. So was the coolant issue, it was a recall and has been fixed.

Ā 

Ā 

Nice to know someone is being taken care of. Thanks

Just to update, it's been since Feb. 5th and we still haven't smelled the 'burning smell". the car was supposed to go in yesterday for a complete PTU replacement. I called and cancelled the appointment. They will sit on the part for one week then send it back as they don't want a $1,500 unit in inventory. I'm bringing the car in to them on Thursday though for a free oil change and Dean, the Ser. Mgr. said they would check to see how much if any the seal is leaking. They will be taking digital pics of the chrome clad wheels that are chipping/pitting. My luck the PTU will leak worse than it appears to now. Still no answer in sight what Ford is doing for the fix, this is what Dean has told me up until yesterday. They just said replace entire unit.

What is Ford doing for your chipping/peeling plastic rims? How much are you asking for '88 GT ?
The Service Mgr. said they would be replaced, but we both agreed to wait till all the roads are clear here in Ma. I just want them documented. the salt is killing these, should of gone with the painted steel wheels. Shoot me a pm in re: to my Mustang ok? Doug